Will you play Battlefront?

eezstreet

Latest Poll  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan on playing Battlefront?

• Yes, I have it preordered.
    • Yes, at some point.
    • Maybe.
    • No.
    • Other (describe)

I played the alpha personally. Even wrote up a pretty big post on my opinions of it on the MB2 forums before they got taken down recently. I'll just give my overall impressions of it really quick.

The base gun mechanics felt solid and smooth. However there was zero depth in any of the mechanics. Movement and animations worked well except for a couple locations with the AT-ST that had weird interactions. Level design had both massive overarching flaws as well as little minor ones very obvious to the trained eye. If you watch some of the videos on the alpha you can see some of the massive balance issues the hoth level has which makes me incredibly worried for other levels with how much they pushed that one. Honestly though while it felt good and fun to play, and visual/audio assets were amazing the content did not have the depth or complexity to keep me playing past a few weeks. It gave me the overall impression of a $40 game from a smaller developer, not a $60 AAA franchise reboot. It felt like 90% of their budget was on audio/art and nothing else.

I will likely grab it to see if it is actually good (not preordering) and mainly to rip some assets from it. I already ripped some assets out of the alpha just for fun :P

BruceJohnJenner likes this

I will likely grab it to see if it is actually good (not preordering) and mainly to rip some assets from it. I already ripped some assets out of the alpha just for fun :P

Tsk tsk, you will no doubt now be assassinated by EA goons for that!

It gave me the overall impression of a $40 game from a smaller developer, not a $60 AAA franchise reboot. It felt like 90% of their budget was on audio/art and nothing else.

Typical EA, all mouth no trousers!

If I will play Battlefront? Well, it depends if sabersystem is worth off or just a hack n' slash crap. I don't want to play a God of War saber combat style. And I think I guess that's what I will be having. So I may play it, for sure I will TRY it (in case my video card doesn't explode with it), but that doesn't mean I will play it very much. Aswell, if I try it, it will be in a free try that EA gives, as I've done with the mecha games they released (can't remember the name right now). Or as I did with Battlefield 3. My current thinking is that for playing Battlefront, I can play Battlefield. If the only difference I will have is blaster instead bullets, x-wings instead planes, and a couple of Jedi that features a hack n' slash system... Well I preffer to stay in JKA mods like EoC or OJP, and play Battlefield in the case I want to play some war game.

So I will be waiting for the reviews.

No Battlefront game should be played for the saber combat, because that's not a focus of the game at all. It's large/small scale warfare, focused on the troops. Sabers are a bonus, and focus on "saber vs blaster" kind of gameplay. At least it was in BFII.

And if you still view it as "Battlefield with a Star Wars theme" then you could say that about BFII and BF1 as well, which I mostly disagree with. They are similar but they have a lot of their own aspects that make them a lot different than the Battlefield series.

You say "play Battlefield in the case I want to play some war game" - okay but what about a Star Wars war game? That's what it is. If you're not a big Star Wars fan, then maybe it doesn't matter what's going on in the game, guns are guns, but to Star Wars fans, it'll be awesome. Playing as a rebel soldier fighting against the Empire's huge forces in a simple setting like Battlefront has is something fans love and want. This game will give a fresh take on that experience in multiple ways.

Remember, last Battlefront game released was 2005. It's been 10 years since we've seen any game like what I have just shown. It's only been Force Unleashed and SWTOR, which are completely different.

I think these are for the Alpha, so they may Increase for full release, but it gives you an idea anyway.

The recommended PC specs needed to run Star Wars Battlefront smoothly have been revealed, at least those required to run the alpha version of the game which the chosen few have been able to download from today. The specs were sent out in the mail and subsequently were shared on Reddit. Here's what players need to get along with the early build of DICE's Star Wars shooter:

CPU: Quad Core CPU (Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz or AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2 GHz or AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 680 oder AMD Radeon HD 7970 (2 GB video)
RAM: 6 GB

Look at the RAM requirement. A 32 bit OS restricts you to using 4GB of RAM, and this game requires 6GB. That would be why.

Not saying I agree with that though, as 6GB RAM is a lot and seems unnecessarily high tbh.

I did not know that, thanks @@eezstreet.

But seriously, DICE/EA pretty much killed the game for me with their ludicrous requirements and their battlefield-like gameplay.

Keep in mind those were the requirements for the alpha. Could change in the official release.

Also, Battlefront was created as a rip off of Battlefield, they've always been similar. This new one shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone, and shouldn't be a bad thing. Go play Battlefield: 1942 and you'll see what I mean.

Merek likes this

I did not know that, thanks @@eezstreet.

But seriously, DICE/EA pretty much killed the game for me with their ludicrous requirements and their battlefield-like gameplay.

I played it, this game ran on an 8 year old computer. Only thing is I happened to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb a few years ago. It is incredibly optimized and no one should have 4GB of RAM anymore, even having a really old PC isn't an excuse.

eezstreet likes this

I played it, this game ran on an 8 year old computer. Only thing is I happened to upgrade from 4gb to 8gb a few years ago. It is incredibly optimized and no one should have 4GB of RAM anymore, even having a really old PC isn't an excuse.

Agreed. Especially if you're using your PC for gaming.

@@Circa @@MaceMadunusus You seem to forget not everyone here is rich, has a job, or comfortable enough to not have to worry about where your next meal is coming from. I come from a family who barely affords the necessities like food. If you go around making a standard like that you're bound to piss a lot of people off, including myself.

My Computer is far older than either of yours and is bound to die any day now and I by no means have money to replace it. I have maxed out the RAM at 2 GB and the best video card I could afford for it was the Nvidia Geforce 5200 FX. See my computer specs here.

@@Circa @@MaceMadunusus You seem to forget not everyone here is rich, has a job, or comfortable enough to not have to worry about where your next meal is coming from. I come from a family who barely affords the necessities like food. If you go around making a standard like that you're bound to piss a lot of people off, including myself.

My Computer is far older than either of yours and is bound to die any day now and I by no means have money to replace it. I have maxed out the RAM at 2 GB and the best video card I could afford for it was the Nvidia Geforce 5200 FX. See my computer specs here.

Not saying it's a standard, but a fact. Modern games require modern specs. Yeah, computers are expensive, I get that. Not trying to piss anyone off. Just saying that if you're using a PC for gaming, it gets expensive keeping up with what games require. If you're on a budget as tight as you suggest, I recommend consoles (along with a few other reasons, not just a budget).

Merek likes this