1. 1. Which one(s) should I focus on?

• OpenJK
    • JKHub (improvements)
    • JKHub Wiki/Tutorials
    • Editor(s)
    • SP campaign
    • Blender plugins
    • Mod Manager

Hey y'all! I have so many ideas for what to work on next so I thought I'd ask the community what you'd most like me to work on. I'm not promising I'll do what the majority wants, but I'll take it into account.

Here are my ideas for what to do:

OpenJK

OpenJK could use my help; and I certainly have a couple of ideas for improvements. While I'm at it I could also try to resolve some of the outstanding issues.

JKHub (improvements)

I'm not yet quite sure what in particular I'd work on, but I should be perfectly capable of adding new features to this site.

JKHub Wiki/Tutorials

Coding aside* I know pretty much all there is about JKA modding - maybe I should write all that knowledge down?

* I generally know how to code, but I've hardly worked with the JKA code in particular.

Editor(s)

But why write all my knowledge down when it could instead be available as context-sensitive help/instructions in a cool new editor? I'd basically want something similar to the UnrealEditor, CryEngine's Sandbox or the Unity Editor for JKA: a single editor that manages all the pieces, can preview things very much like they look in the game and is generally awesome. That's a huuuuge project though, and I'd have to learn a lot to do it properly. There's a good chance I'd never finish, as with so many big projects I've started in the past. (I've grown since, though.)

SP Campaign

Talking about unfinished big projects - there's also this SP mod "Spirits of the Sith" that 3D-GET worked on over half a decade ago. I'm technically still part of the team, and I'd very much like the mod to be finished and released - it's roughly 80% done after all, or maybe 60% if I get all perfectionist and try to hugely improve existing pieces. (Let's be realistic - I probably would.)

Blender Plugins

I haven't really improved my Blender plugins in years. They work, but they're clumsy to use. Manual UV splitting and triangulation are a pain and could very much be automated, and I've never tried them on any Blender versions since 2.59.

Normals at seams on the other hand are a difficult problem; I don't think Blender properly supports manually smoothing them across different meshes. And I don't think there's a better solution for tags than the current triangle-surface system since they need to be weighted to the skeleton. I'd much prefer a custom Ghoul 2 editor that helps with making models that actually work; this would be part of the whole editor project mentioned earlier.

Mod Manager

And finally I think it would make mods much easier to use if there was a JKA launcher that can download mods from various sources (repos, similar to packet managers) with ratings and popular files, much like the Steam Workshop. I'm not yet sure how a decentralized structure would support ratings and possibly comments;this would first require thorough planning. (As would the editor project.)

So, vote and discuss!

I should probably add that regardless of this the first thing I'll be doing is getting that JK3Files mirror up.

The JKB team was supposed to be helping you guys with SOTS...it just never happened! I think you could find some people here willing to help. Is Arth still around?

I have no idea about Arth, we haven't talked in years... He should still be around though. Not active in JKA modding though. Killermic is technically also still on the team, last I heard he was doing lots of work on a complicated map, that was years ago though.

Taking on new team members might be reasonable; but before much work can be done a good deal of (re)organization is probably required.

therfiles likes this