Problem with saber

Go to solution Solved by Daedra,

Ah, should have specified, that is acceptable for a player mesh.

To start troubleshooting though you need to take 1 out of the base folder like try using just the character or just the sabers but with a base character to find out which of the 2 is causing the crash.

Still though, what is the vertex count of the saber?

Crash does not happen with other models with sabers. It only happens when the starstrider model is using the sabers.

I have tested on clean JKA with clean base folder only with the model of Starstrider, everything works perfect, after that tested with the sabers and it brings the error. Same happened with only the sabers and Tavion.

BTW @ i was just searching on EP7 TFA Luke Skywalker action figures, and turned out this "Starstrider" is actually OLD LUKE SKYWALKER as i have told you from the beginning :):D

I have tested on clean JKA with clean base folder only with the model of Starstrider, everything works perfect, after that tested with the sabers and it brings the error. Same happened with only the sabers and Tavion.

BTW @ i was just searching on EP7 TFA Luke Skywalker action figures, and turned out this "Starstrider" is actually OLD LUKE SKYWALKER as i have told you from the beginning :):D

The image of the toy was a custom created character. I assume the person who frankensteined the toy used parts of an old luke skywalker figure. :P

mmmm i check the model. is a low poly model. there aren't ghost vertexes and the model have a very low number of poly and vertexes, so the jedi starstrider model is fine. i have nothing to tell about his polygonal structure. also, in game the model works very fine, also with sabers, force protecrt and absorb level 3 enabled, into a fight against itself and an hylden of my mod (my mod is about legacy of kain, congratulation to starstrider for killing an hylden D: nasty foes.)

However i have a thing to do related this model:

ithe model have an error.

the tag bolt_l_arm_cap_torso is parented to torso. this is wrong. should be parented to l_arm.

also, all arms and hand mesh instead of have the name l_arm, r_hand, r_hand, l_hand, and caps too, they are called.

l_arme, r_arme, r_hande, l_hande, r_arme_cap_r_hand_off

it's a strange naming for those meshes.

so what i've suggest...  i am not sure that the wrong tag hierarchy or the strange name of arms \ hands \ arm cap meshes is the cause of the crash, but i can suspect it. on OpenJK is all find. i haven't the old jasp.exe because i edited the code for my mod. and for check the model without openjk i need to re-install JKA >.< .

what can i suggest is: - fix the hierarchy. bolt_l_arm_cap_torso need to be lined to l_arm, not to the torso. a wrong tag linked can make the model little unstable on the default JKA. but i am not sure.

the meshes of arms and hand need to be renamed. there are not called l_arm_0 or something like that, but "l_arme" i am not sure the engine like much the main meshes with this names.  head, torso, l_arm, r_arm, hips, r_leg, l_leg, r_hand, l_hand need to have the correct name. sometime a bad naming or a bad hierarchy can create troubles with models.

so what i suggest about fix this model.

1 - fix the name of the arms and hands meshes.

2 - correct hierarchy: linking the bolt_l_arm_cap_torso cap to the l_arm mesh , not to the torso.

3 - the sabers are heavy about number of vertexes. if is possible reduce the LOD of sabers. but i not know how to do that. i am not a an expert modeler.

this is my analysis. i hope i give some help.

the think that really i dislike is the bad hierarchied arm tag. :\ i not know if on the default engine can have some kind of bad effect, but is not much correct.

mmmm i check the model. is a low poly model. there aren't ghost vertexes and the model have a very low number of poly and vertexes, so the jedi starstrider model is fine. i have nothing to tell about his polygonal structure. also, in game the model works very fine, also with sabers, force protecrt and absorb level 3 enabled, into a fight against itself and an hylden of my mod (my mod is about legacy of kain, congratulation to starstrider for killing an hylden D: nasty foes.)

However i have a thing to do related this model:

ithe model have an error.

the tag bolt_l_arm_cap_torso is parented to torso. this is wrong. should be parented to l_arm.

also, all arms and hand mesh instead of have the name l_arm, r_hand, r_hand, l_hand, and caps too, they are called.

l_arme, r_arme, r_hande, l_hande, r_arme_cap_r_hand_off

it's a strange naming for those meshes.

so what i've suggest...  i am not sure that the wrong tag hierarchy or the strange name of arms \ hands \ arm cap meshes is the cause of the crash, but i can suspect it. on OpenJK is all find. i haven't the old jasp.exe because i edited the code for my mod. and for check the model without openjk i need to re-install JKA >.< .

what can i suggest is: - fix the hierarchy. bolt_l_arm_cap_torso need to be lined to l_arm, not to the torso. a wrong tag linked can make the model little unstable on the default JKA. but i am not sure.

the meshes of arms and hand need to be renamed. there are not called l_arm_0 or something like that, but "l_arme" i am not sure the engine like much the main meshes with this names.  head, torso, l_arm, r_arm, hips, r_leg, l_leg, r_hand, l_hand need to have the correct name. sometime a bad naming or a bad hierarchy can create troubles with models.

so what i suggest about fix this model.

1 - fix the name of the arms and hands meshes.

2 - correct hierarchy: linking the bolt_l_arm_cap_torso cap to the l_arm mesh , not to the torso.

3 - the sabers are heavy about number of vertexes. if is possible reduce the LOD of sabers. but i not know how to do that. i am not a an expert modeler.

this is my analysis. i hope i give some help.

the think that really i dislike is the bad hierarchied arm tag. :\ i not know if on the default engine can have some kind of bad effect, but is not much correct.

I suggest you, trying this one because it is possible that Kylo Ren have sent you the wrong/old file here is the one i have in my base folder:

Starstrider (pre-release)

I suggest you, trying this one because it is possible that Kylo Ren have sent you the wrong/old file here is the one i have in my base folder:

Okay i check also this now. :)

you're right dude, NPC crash and player model too, when they use theirs saber. now i re-check the GLMs. :\

and their crash on my code edited Openjk too, and also inside my mod. D: really need to be fixed. now i see.

dark_apprentice likes this

Did you tried the one i have sent with base sabers?

well well...

model tested on 3d max: alls fine, i see exactly what i watched into the old version that @  send me on PM. my analysis about the model, so, is the same. :) the l_arm_cap_torso is wrong linked. and arms and hands meshes are got an "e" at the end of the names.

what you mean for base saber?

i understood that i need to try these on game

well...

i cannot test into original jasp as i told.

but i teel this: you have send me a pk3 without the sab file into ext_data and also the saber model is missing. the crash on my engine what caused because i edited my code for my mod, and as a collateral effect, if a npc have a sab of a missing saber file, the game crash to me. XD

but this is a MY crash, Lol. because the pk3 file was incomplete.

when i merged the sab file and the weapons models of kylo ren Npc and playermodel works fine. i use playermodel starstrider, and i edited the npc file for adding as saber2 the rotated backhand saber. so i player the character with 2 saber together. and i make a fight against it self because after i make npc spawn starstrider and  i put also playerteam team_enemy, so i turn into enemy team and npc starstrider have attacked player starstrider, because he take player (me XD ) as an enemy. the fight was fine and my game was not crashed, but i use openJk, so i suppose is for this. i have also tried starstrider with a default saber (single_1) and is fine. not crash.

so really, except the high poly saber structure and the hierarchy error of the bolt_l_arm tag, and the names of arms and meshes, it's all fine. ._.

so if aren't the tags and the mesh to crash the model, i really not know why it crashes in base jasp and jamp game. 

as i told, i not have more the jasp and jamp base exe because i am using openjk and i edited the code, so my jagamex86.dll not match the base jagamex86.dll . and i have not more the old jasp and jamp exe. for test this model and watch the crash i need to reinstall the game. >.< and i not want to do this sorry.

however, what i told is : 1 fixing the tags and 2: reduce number of vertexes of the saber.

i have no other idea for fix this error. :\

• Solution

well well...

model tested on 3d max: alls fine, i see exactly what i watched into the old version that @  send me on PM. my analysis about the model, so, is the same. :) the l_arm_cap_torso is wrong linked. and arms and hands meshes are got an "e" at the end of the names.

what you mean for base saber?

i understood that i need to try these on game

well...

i cannot test into original jasp as i told.

but i teel this: you have send me a pk3 without the sab file into ext_data and also the saber model is missing. the crash on my engine what caused because i edited my code for my mod, and as a collateral effect, if a npc have a sab of a missing saber file, the game crash to me. XD

but this is a MY crash, Lol. because the pk3 file was incomplete.

when i merged the sab file and the weapons models of kylo ren Npc and playermodel works fine. i use playermodel starstrider, and i edited the npc file for adding as saber2 the rotated backhand saber. so i player the character with 2 saber together. and i make a fight against it self because after i make npc spawn starstrider and  i put also playerteam team_enemy, so i turn into enemy team and npc starstrider have attacked player starstrider, because he take player (me XD ) as an enemy. the fight was fine and my game was not crashed, but i use openJk, so i suppose is for this. i have also tried starstrider with a default saber (single_1) and is fine. not crash.

so really, except the high poly saber structure and the hierarchy error of the bolt_l_arm tag, and the names of arms and meshes, it's all fine. ._.

so if aren't the tags and the mesh to crash the model, i really not know why it crashes in base jasp and jamp game. 

as i told, i not have more the jasp and jamp base exe because i am using openjk and i edited the code, so my jagamex86.dll not match the base jagamex86.dll . and i have not more the old jasp and jamp exe. for test this model and watch the crash i need to reinstall the game. >.< and i not want to do this sorry.

however, what i told is : 1 fixing the tags and 2: reduce number of vertexes of the saber.

i have no other idea for fix this error. :\

Like I said it is definitely the sabers. The starstrider model isn't really an issue since the model works fine anyway without the sabers at all.

We need to check and solve the sabers.

@@Jeff you said there are LODs on the sabers, so can you remove them?

Asgarath83 and dark_apprentice like this