JA (steam) widescreen + mouse drift; tried everything I can find...

Go to solution Solved by ensiform,

Picked up JA earlier this year when it was on Steam super-cheap, and all the Force Awakening stuff got me itching for some Star Wars, so I figured it was high time to have a go at my favorite of the JK series of games. It's being rather diffcult, though. First, this awful mouse drift. It just moves on it's own (desktop PC), and no resolution changes would work at all, which started me on this quest...

Okay, cutting to the chase, I've tried all kinds of things. I can get the widscreen to work (HUD appears a little stretched, but that's it) with the Steam .exe by using an autoexec.cfg in the "base" folder, so that's great. Mouse still wanders all over the place, though, and I read that OpenJK kinda handled some of that, so I gave it a shot. Mouse drift fixed, yay! Oh, wait, no widescreen, though...

Doesn't work via console command or anything, doesn't pick up on the .cfg file in the base folder, and just because, I even tried dropping a second autoexec.cfg in the OpenJK folder. The command console changes even crash JA about half the time.

Anyone able to help me out here? There has got to be some way I can get both problem fixed at the same time.

• Solution

Multiplayer or Singleplayer?

What were you expecting widescreen wise?  What config file in base folder?  In openjk the main config is called openjk.cfg and it is saved in C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\My Games\OpenJK\base and autoexec.cfg can still be loaded from either place.

You can enter this in the console for 1920x1080 (example)

r_customWidth 1920
r_customHeight 1080
r_mode -1
vid_restart

or

r_mode -2
vid_restart

Will pick your desktop resolution.

OpenJK cannot change menus, its against the rules of the source being released so there is no extra resolutions in the menu for you to pick.

Thanks for the reply!

Single player for me, at least till I get used to the game again. I did dig the MP in the past, though. Lightsaber duels are fun!

I have the autoexec.cfg in steamapps\common\...\base, and that's what was working with the regular JA .exe, launched through Steam. Still had the crazy wandering mouse, though.

Thanks to your advice, I dropped an autoexec.cfg in the documents\MyGames\OpenJK\base folder as you suggested, I didn't even know there was such a folder till reading your post, though; I have tried to put the .cfg in the OpenJK folder in with the game files. Didn't work, though, not till I noticed something, a little detail: quotes. For some damn reason, seta r_customwidth "1920" (and the others) didn't want to work via console command or a .cfg file from the OpenJK config files folders (thought the quotes are no problem for the stock .exe). Take the quotes off, and things work as expected though!

Thanks a ton for your help! I'm to replay one of my most fondly remembered games for the first time in almost a decade. :)

Note, openjk sp uses "autoexec_sp.cfg" to separate the autoexec configs in case you want it to do something different from MP.

Quotes don't affect OpenJK either so I'm not sure what you're describing. You also don't need to use seta when using the console.

Don't need to use seta? Bad instructions, maybe? That's the info I had found before coming here, think it was in a Steam community forum post?

I was using commands like this: seta r_customwidth "1920", in an autoexec.cfg file in the ...\MyGames\OpenJK\base folder.

I cannot tell you why, but with the quotes around the 1920 there it would not work. Or, at least, that's the only change I made, turning the command to: seta r_customwidth 1920 (and removing the quotes from the other lines as well.

That was it, then it started to work. Odd as it might seem, that's what made the difference.