Staff Changes and Now Hiring!

eezstreet

Posted Image

Greetings, JKHub. We have some changes to announce regarding the staff.

Staff Retiring
First and foremost, editor @SiLink has decided to leave. He has done an admirable job as our first guest editor. Secondly, veteran administrator @Circa has retired from the staff. Here is what he has to say on the subject:

I'd like to finally approach you guys about this. It's been no secret that I've been extremely cynical about JKHub within the past year, and especially the past couple months.

I've been feeling extremely burnt out and fed up with JKHub. When I volunteered as staff, I wanted to be a simple moderator to help out. Due to the inactivity of the rest of the staff, I ended up being the only one doing stuff. Things snowballed and I ended up taking on a leader role that I really didn't want at all, but I tried my best at it.

I'm not qualified to run a large community website. I'm not qualified to run anything related to JKA. The only reason I've been able to seem like I can run this place is because I suppose I'm a decent leader with good people skills, but I doubt that's even true.

This place also has a problem with expectations. Nothing I/we as staff do is good enough, and everyone wants bigger and better things than what we give. That's why I stopped doing featured picture, contests, and articles for almost 2 years.

All these features and changes and additions to JKHub that people are wanting are not things I have any clue how to do. I'm not interested in doing any of that. They'd be awesome, and I hope they happen, but I simply don't have the time, energy, or desire to do them. I'm in my fourth year of college, and will be working part time during this year in addition to having a social life. After I graduate, I'll have a full time internship and later a full time job (hopefully) and simply don't need JKHub consuming time and stress in my life anymore. It's not worth it.

Basically what I'm saying is, I'll be retiring soon. I've been wanting to do so for a year now but, frankly there's nobody I can think of to take my place as an admin. We might have to go back to equal staff positions for awhile until someone steps up to run this place, or whatever.

I'll stay on for awhile and maybe help recruit new staff with you guys but think of this as my 2 week notice.

It's been a privilege to work with you guys. Thanks for helping out.

EDIT: also, this has nothing to do with anything that's happened recently, I've been playing around with the idea for months now. My semester starts next week so now is the best time.

He will help the transition to a new staff before retiring. Circa has been here through the thick and thin of the site and has helped us push through the highs and lows we've seen - including several server moves, shutting down of our hosting services, the source code release, and JKFiles shutting down.

Effective immediately, I (eezstreet) will be taking over the administrative duties of the site.

Four New Staff Positions
With that in mind, we are now looking for four dedicated members of the team. We are looking for a new moderator, two new staff editors, and a social media position. Below are the responsibilities of each position:
  • Moderator: Responsible for managing the forums and approving files. Moderators help keep the peace in times of chaos.
  • Editor (x2): Responsible for posting interesting and important articles regarding the JK/SW community. Some experience in the competitive community is a plus, as we are trying to cover that angle a bit more thoroughly. They are also dedicated editors of the wiki.
  • Social Media Moderator: A new position in the staff, the Social Media Moderator is responsible for managing external social media pages, such as our Steam group, Twitter and Facebook accounts. They are also dedicated editors of the wiki.
In the future we will be promoting a staff member to administrator in order to fill Circa's position.
Please send me a Private Message or use this topic to fill out an application. Tell us about how you enjoy the JK/A games! We would love to hear about it. Be sure to include the position you are interested in on your application.

Click here to view the article

Kudos to Circa and SiLink for their services.

I've already been thinking about joining the JKHub team for a while now; I'll just be busy with uni for the rest of the month and was going to apply in September. I basically realized what an important role JKA played in my life, and that I should give back more to its community. And besides filling the wiki with my knowledge (which does not require me being a member of the team) that could also include helping with moderation.

I was a moderator on darth-arth.de, a German Jedi Knight modding community, back when it still existed, so I have some experience. I first joined in 2004-02-06, although I can't quite tell when I became a moderator any more. And I should be pretty good at keeping the peace since I'm usually pretty chill. I could also help on the coding side, although web is not my specialty and I'm slightly averse to PHP.

My time is limited though; I can invest a couple of hours a week, but I want to do other things as well. I certainly care about JKHub though and will make extra time in times of need, but an additional moderator may be required at some point.

Merek, Cerez, Circa and 1 other like this

@@eezstreet I have already sent my PM and I thank you once more for this fantastic oppurtunity. A very large thanks to both @@SiLink and @@Circa for their time and their excellent help, support and contributions to the community. I am very sad about this news of SiLink's departure, but there remains a mark which he and @@Circa alone left on the community. I will miss their work very much.

Other than this, I wanted to expand further by expressing my love for JKA! It is the best Star Wars game I have ever came across. The amount of possibilities of modifications you can make are limitless within boundaries of the game. To this day it has been a great game and I am honoured to be part of it. It is truly a masterpiece along with JKO.

I am heavily looking forward to the new Star Wars Battlefront game, the gameplay is incredible and the cinematics are life-like (and I shall be taking my chances in making brand new sound packs for various characters from Battlefront for JK mods).

I have to say the best mod I ever came across for JKA that I use always is Darth Malgus by @Psyk0Sith . It is one of the greatest modifications of all time for JKA.

So that's my two cents on this. Thank you once again @@eezstreet , good luck to @@SiLink with life and his future, good luck with getting a full time job! I hope you find what you want. Thank you also @@Circa for your work in the community, Happy Retirement! *gives you a gold watch*

Circa likes this

Oh my, this comes as a total shock! :o

@@Circa, thank you for all your hard work for this site and community. We really couldn't have asked for a better admin, and I'm really sorry to hear that you're leaving. I want you to know that your work and support has been greatly appreciated, even if we didn't get to voice it enough. I can totally understand your decision, however, and I wish you the best in your studies and in work and life. I'm not sure where the hard feelings come from, but I can only hope that people weren't too reckless with their demands... We need to be more considerate, everyone. We're all people with much to deal with in our normal everyday lives, yet alone with managing what happens on these online forums.

@@eezstreet, thank you for taking things over and keeping this place in one peace during this transitional period. It's a brave thing to do.

Everyone, please be as supportive and understanding as you can be during this transition, and contribute where you can if we want to keep this place afloat. This is absolutely the worst time to place demands or bicker. Help our staff where you can. Support the community that supports your creative adventures.

Thanks again @@Circa and @@SiLink for all that you did. Circa, you really did keep the lights on here at JKHub and your leadership was so invaluable to all of us here. Thanks for dealing with all of our craziness! SiLink, thanks for those amazing articles, and all the other goodness you did here! You guys are the best!

@@eezstreet I'm so excited that you are in this position! I know you'll do excellent. You've definitely done a heck of a lot for this community and this is gonna be sweet.

Circa likes this

@@Circa and @@SiLink a HUGE thank you, to both! May the Force be with you even, when you take your life on, beside JKA community. I am not much of a speaker usually and I am thankful to all that you have done (and not just you, but all the team as well, during the years). I grew up with JKA and I would've be glad to help if I was able to. But I ain't pretty much different situation from Circa's. Plus real life gets harder and harder, after starting a family, moving in new house and new jobs, beside the already time-consuming work with my music project and debut album. Anyways, I really want this community to keep on going and to continue giving the people the amazing opportunity of a JK/A universe and all the rest SW. Wishing you all the best to all.

Circa likes this

Shame you have to go, but understandable. There is more to life than jkhub, you wouldn't want to stay on Tatooine your whole life right? I had no idea Circa was practically running the website, wow, very well done! We are grateful with how well you've managed it, and to @@SiLink as well.

There are plenty of nice people here in the community that are qualified to be moderators, which is good to know. Heck, that is something I should be doing to pay back the community with, but I'm...well....would kinda hate to wake up in the morning knowing I have to go to jkhub, rather than just coming here whenever I wanted. Bit selfish I know, but it's a huge responsibility.

I feel like we are moving into a new era similar to episode 7. A whole team of new people to take over the legacy.

But look what's happening: The MBII team is retiring, the jkhub team is retiring, makermod is nearly dead, this can only mean one thing:

TheJediAreTakingOvah.gif

credits to circa for making this very gif for me :).

Circa likes this

I've only received four applications total. Don't all apply at once, now. :P

I will pick the new people by the end of next week.

Thank you @@eezstreet . Good luck to all applicants. I'm sure whoever is picked will definitely make a large impact on JKHub and the community. :)

I'd just like to respond to this a little bit. I'm resigning from staff, but I'm not entirely leaving the community at all. At least not yet. I serve on council in the clan -[DE]- which is keeping me playing the game, and I'm still modding here and there as well. 

might come back as staff later down the road but that's a big maybe. I loved being staff overall. I loved helping people and spreading the word about JKHub and what we have to offer. Some of my favorite conversations were when I would go to random JKA servers and talk about it. Felt like a freakin prophet sometimes. :P though a lot of it felt in vain.

I'm going to be helping pick new staff. I was going to be heading up new staff around this time anyway. My goal though, was to recruit forward thinking people with skills to take JKH to new heights. Everyone is requesting new features and fancy things, but nobody to help make them possible. Sure, we need simple moderators. But we also need staff that are willing to bring new things to the table. But maybe that should be further down the road. I'm hoping to see some qualified people step up around here. The more forward thinkers we get, the less work for one person it will be.

Don't let one person be responsible for keeping JKHub relevant. Or this place will die, fast.

I'm looking forward to ushering in new staff and seeing where you guys take this place.

therfiles, Flynn, Cerez and 2 others like this

I admit I'm curious about the forum moderator role, but before I even consider applying I want to be sure I can offer the sort of time committments that the job requires. @@Barricade24 , @@therfiles , how much of your time would you say you dedicate to the Hub on a daily or weekly basis?

Good question, @@Kualan! I personally have been rather inactive lately, but now that I'm trying to recommit and come back, it really requires a few things.

• To be reading topics, and involved in discussions. While I don't read EVERY thread, I try to keep track of most of them, just in case anything gets out of hand or anybody needs help. Ex: Moving the topic, etc. So if you are already reading threads, you are really doing quite a bit of the job already!
  • Additionally, we approve files. It's a bit of a process, but it shouldn't really take longer than 2 to 5 minutes at the very most per file, with no complications of course. It's pretty quick and nice system. Be aware, you may need to contact people and talk to them about their submissions.
  • Responding to PMs...people will often send questions your way, so be willing to answer those.

Of course there are lots of odds and ends that will take a bit of time, but those are the most regular activities...and really, if you love the community and want to help, it's not a HUGE time-consumer.

As far as a time estimate goes...I'm not too sure. As a moderator, you are really just a user with more responsibilities. It's hard to delineate when I'm moderating and when I'm just enjoying the community.

Kualan, Stoiss, Cerez and 1 other like this

I'd just like to respond to this a little bit. I'm resigning from staff, but I'm not entirely leaving the community at all. At least not yet. I serve on council in the clan -[DE]- which is keeping me playing the game, and I'm still modding here and there as well. 

might come back as staff later down the road but that's a big maybe. I loved being staff overall. I loved helping people and spreading the word about JKHub and what we have to offer. Some of my favorite conversations were when I would go to random JKA servers and talk about it. Felt like a freakin prophet sometimes. :P though a lot of it felt in vain.

I'm going to be helping pick new staff. I was going to be heading up new staff around this time anyway. My goal though, was to recruit forward thinking people with skills to take JKH to new heights. Everyone is requesting new features and fancy things, but nobody to help make them possible. Sure, we need simple moderators. But we also need staff that are willing to bring new things to the table. But maybe that should be further down the road. I'm hoping to see some qualified people step up around here. The more forward thinkers we get, the less work for one person it will be.

Don't let one person be responsible for keeping JKHub relevant. Or this place will die, fast.

I'm looking forward to ushering in new staff and seeing where you guys take this place.

Thanks again for all the hard work you put into the site. I hope you enjoy your break and if you come back that's amazing but if not then I wish you the best. :P

Circa likes this

Everyone is requesting new features and fancy things, but nobody to help make them possible. Sure, we need simple moderators. But we also need staff that are willing to bring new things to the table. But maybe that should be further down the road. I'm hoping to see some qualified people step up around here. The more forward thinkers we get, the less work for one person it will be.

This is true, but none of the staff openings lets people bring new things to the table :(

mrwonko likes this

This is true, but none of the staff openings lets people bring new things to the table :(

How so? Any of them do. It's your attitude going into the position that matters. I came on as a moderator but did my best to introduce things and keep everything fresh. Anyone can do it.

Also, when I joined, everyone was just called "JKHub Staff" - there were no special positions, we were all equals. I saw certain divides and created them. If more people with certain abilities step up, there can be more positions made. (i.e. server admin, webmaster, event planner, special projects, etc.)

Daedra, Smoo and Cerez like this

I am willing to remake the last position into a wildcard role. I merely suggested a Social Media Moderator since we don't have a dedicated person which handles that, and we've got three social media accounts - Twitter, Facebook and Steam which don't receive many updates.

That being said, if anyone has ideas, they can post in the Ideas and Issues forum. We just have an immediate need of these types of people right now. We could certainly use more people down the line.

Daedra, Cerez and mrwonko like this

How so? Any of them do. It's your attitude going into the position that matters. I came on as a moderator but did my best to introduce things and keep everything fresh. Anyone can do it.

Also, when I joined, everyone was just called "JKHub Staff" - there were no special positions, we were all equals. I saw certain divides and created them. If more people with certain abilities step up, there can be more positions made. (i.e. server admin, webmaster, event planner, special projects, etc.)

I totally agree. Back when I used to be a Moderator elsewhere there were special divisions that required those in it to do what they can when they can. It's not that difficult to do it off the bat, just like you did. It requires some "Out of the Box" thinking and some actions but at the end of it all it's for a great cause and if you show enough love for it then people will see that and appreciate it.

Then again if everyone had every ability then there would be no need for divisions, albeit there are some people who can work with multiple abilities at the same time. Even with divides there is no reason to be more or less than equal -- something which I have seen happen in the past elsewhere -- you just have to be yourself, act natural and fly casual. :P