Evolution of Combat IV - Trailer

Link

About Evolution of Combat
"Evolution of Combat IV is the next generation for the popular Jedi Academy game mod. Now stretching across Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, EoCIV is now based upon the brand new Serenity Jedi Engine providing not only improved combat and animations, but updated campaigns and multiplayer maps. Evolution of Combat IV is set to launch in December 2015."

Trailer
"EoCIV adds tons of new features improving on EoCIII, as well as now running on the new Serenity Jedi Engine and incorporating Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy.
Stay tuned for more news as we near release!"

Stay up to date with Evolution of Combat IV by following them on ModDB.

HA5rgI.png

Click here to view the article

Serenity937 and therfiles like this

That was a very scarce article. I'd be interested to hear what exactly the new engine is supposedly capable of (a bit more detail than just "improved animations"), in what ways the combat was changed, what the "tons of new features" are about, why this mod is or was popular, what happened to the previous iterations... you know, a bit more than just a copy&paste of the moddb page. Especially so given that the "teaser" is itself almost without any substance.

eezstreet, hleV, mrwonko and 4 others like this

People like you are the reason I hesitate to post content at all.

I am not writing a big article every few days, I will share news from around the community when it happens from the content creators themselves. If you want to find out further information, by all means go ahead.

This is about EoC, I suggest posting further concerns in the thread Circa made yesterday.

Serenity937 and therfiles like this

As I said, I'd be interested to find out more about this, but you could just as well have replaced this entire article by a link to moddb and told us to just look it up. Is that what we want as our community news? What does the quality of articles like these make us look like?

eezstreet likes this

Well you don't have to worry about the quality as I quit 10 minutes ago :P I spent many hours per week writing things, connecting with people for future articles and sourcing news like this which isn't an article about the mod but a quick announcement on behalf of the content creator with a brief intro. Quite frankly, it's not worth the agro.

Hopefully people stop talking and start writing, otherwise you'll be stuck with no community news like previously.

Well that escalated quickly. I think the problem is that this article is shorter than what we had before and at the same time they don't come really frequently. I wouldn't mind an article like that if they came more frequently while having some bigger stories in between. But like this it looks kinda misplaced compared to what we had before.

Ping and eezstreet like this

I think people need to realize that the staff, editors, and everyone else is just a volunteer. There is a place for criticism, improvement, and discussion, but that can be done privately and without blowing things out of proportion. Sheesh.

Especially since this was just passing on information from a source that is less well known (Moddb). Putting it on our radar and directing us to a place where we can learn more means we can share news like this quickly and efficiently.

Link likes this

It's valid criticism. People expect more because the past has yielded more. @ hit the nail on the head here. Quitting over little quibbles is just silly.

As a side note, we now have two editor positions open. Any takers?

It would be valid criticism if this were an article about EoC as a mod, but it isn't, it's an announcement teaser trailer that they released and I thought I'd share with JKHub as a quick piece of news considering our new direction. Writing large articles each time a mod/community releases some news seems very counter productive.

This wasn't a quibble, you yourself crapped all over me as soon as I become an editor :P before you had the chance to welcome me to the team, you instantly put a downer on the articles I was preparing. I applied for this job when there wasn't even a job opening, because I was sad to see clan websites had more sources of JK news than we do. This isn't any ones fault but we just need people, especially those shouting from the fences, to actually do something other than talk about improving this place. I'm all for criticism, but to be constantly publicly called out on things that don't even make sense due to the nature of the news, followed by a big list of likes? It isn't worth me volunteering my time and effort. I hope the next set of Editors are given a chance and are made to feel welcome a bit more.

Bowing out of this conversation regardless of the replies, to avoid any further cringey drama. Apologies to EoC on behalf of myself and the website for what this news piece turned into.

I don't quite see the problem with the article myself. It was a teaser announcement, not a profile piece on the mod itself. 

Teasers are supposed to be short, snappy, inciting the reader to want to know more. Just because most of the information is already available on the moddb page doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in the News section of a website that aims to be a keystone of the JKA community.

If all of the Hub's output was like this, I could understand the criticism. But it isn't. There's a place for brief teasers amongst the interviews and lengthy features. In fact, I'd say including some shorter, easier-to-publish material helps with the frequency of updates on the front page, which in turn shows newcomers to the site how active this community still is.

Circa likes this

It would be valid criticism if this were an article about EoC as a mod, but it isn't, it's an announcement teaser trailer that they released and I thought I'd share with JKHub as a quick piece of news considering our new direction. Writing large articles each time a mod/community releases some news seems very counter productive.

This wasn't a quibble, you yourself crapped all over me as soon as I become an editor :P before you had the chance to welcome me to the team, you instantly put a downer on the articles I was preparing. I applied for this job when there wasn't even a job opening, because I was sad to see clan websites had more sources of JK news than we do. This isn't any ones fault but we just need people, especially those shouting from the fences, to actually do something other than talk about improving this place. I'm all for criticism, but to be constantly publicly called out on things that don't even make sense due to the nature of the news, followed by a big list of likes? It isn't worth me volunteering my time and effort. I hope the next set of Editors are given a chance and are made to feel welcome a bit more.

Bowing out of this conversation regardless of the replies, to avoid any further cringey drama. Apologies to EoC on behalf of myself and the website for what this news piece turned into.

If I seemed like I was dogging on you, then I apologize for that. I tend to do that without realizing it a lot of the time. However, I mean to challenge you as a journalist/editor to make better articles. A short teaser trailer is not all that interesting, and apparently many people agree. In the past we have done larger articles with more substance. It's jarring to see a teaser here, which is something we've seen in Advertisements before. You have to handle criticism a little bit better.

If you want to continue this discussion via private message, I am certainly willing to bring you back on and I will watch what I say a little bit better. You have good intentions.

That was a very scarce article. I'd be interested to hear what exactly the new engine is supposedly capable of (a bit more detail than just "improved animations"), in what ways the combat was changed, what the "tons of new features" are about, why this mod is or was popular, what happened to the previous iterations... you know, a bit more than just a copy&paste of the moddb page. Especially so given that the "teaser" is itself almost without any substance.

Its a fair point,Its meant to be just sort of a small introduction to say "its being made".

Evolution of Combat is kind of a small mod that only interests a small group of people"Its not everybody,s cup of tea".

The aim of the new moddb page and video is to bring people from the old EoCIII moddb page to the new,to avoid any confusion about what build ,what update ,etc,etc.

So its really a message for the people who have followed the mod for the last 5 years.Having said that....... New people are always welcome to come and try it.

So your post comes at me as if its from someone who maybe has not come across the mod before ,and thats because the mod has only a small fan base mainly from a Russian community.

So in answer to your fair question i can only say its everything Evolution of Combat III has but in a new code "The old one is OJP and no EXE stuff".However im much better at coding now than i was 5/6 years ago and this enables me to correct any bugs i might have missed 5 years ago.

And of course build on new ideas.The big bonus is that i am able to say for singleplayer is the mod now runs Jedi outcast flawlessly after almost 2 years working on just that.

singleplayer and multiplayer now share an Identical sabersystem, guns systems and melee combat ,all the manual saberblocking, meleeblocking dodging stuff is identical.

3 years working on Bot A.I  and about 1 on NPC A.I .

A now extensive BOT CLASS system and Player Class system  for multiplayer.

I am currently working on Weapons Buying with a point based ,savable,experiance/ reward system.in MP

So i would maybe start here http://www.moddb.com/mods/serenitysabersystems/videos/serenitysabersystem-tutorial-part-1#imagebox

Its a mod that basically makes everything harder to beat,hopefully without going in to the Impossible to beat arena.

Well i hope this helps get you started no need for people to "stress out".

Big thanks to SiLink for doing a nice thing ,with good intentions .

Stoiss, Lancelot, Circa and 1 other like this
  • 4 weeks later...

So in answer to your fair question i can only say its everything Evolution of Combat III has but in a new code "The old one is OJP and no EXE stuff".However im much better at coding now than i was 5/6 years ago and this enables me to correct any bugs i might have missed 5 years ago.

I am interested in the sabersystem. I remember that Evolution of Combat III was inspired from OJP but modified several things. Finaly, the fight seemed to be a little random in EoC III.

I would know if EoC IV sabersystem will keep the same or will be closer to the original OJP sabersystem.

I am interested in the sabersystem. I remember that Evolution of Combat III was inspired from OJP but modified several things. Finaly, the fight seemed to be a little random in EoC III.

I would know if EoC IV sabersystem will keep the same or will be closer to the original OJP sabersystem.

The evolution of combat 1,2 and 3 sabersystem was built "on top" of the ojp system. so we started with ojp 1.2 enhanced code base and built on top of that.

Evolution of combat IV is built from the very first released code that hit the web. Obviously much work was needed to get it running .ask any of the coders from openjk about the amazing work they have done if you dont believe me. 

The sabersystem coding started with the singleplayer side of the code.Firstly i had to re learn many things as up until that point i had only worked with mp code.

The singleplayer sabersystem was finished after 8 months of steady hobby coding.I basically looked at the movies for my inspiration. No lie.......honestly.. I watched some battles frame for frame, watching speed.leg movements, meterial impacts  saber v saber, saber v walls, saber v blaster bolt. etc etc

Obviously this can only result in the sabersystem being "MY" interpretation of what i saw.No more jumping around like a baffooooon .As most old school Jka players do.general bad habits  picked up from playing Jko and brought in to Jka.... Remember  "My" Interpretation "My" views. ....so dont bother arguing with me on this ,because i dont give a shit and wont respond.

I always thought JKO/JKA sabersystems were only half finished and as a result they added a lot of stupid shit to spice it up... I watched fencing videos, swordsmanship videos,

ninja vids, fan vids, startwars fan vids. 

Then this got my attention.

No stupid jumping around ,timed calculated ,and MOST important...Realistic attacks. A real blocking system that is as difficult to master as the attack systems.

And thats why many people do not like this mod .they find it sometimes too slow, too fast, too complicated. but i stress.nothing in life is  easy.not everybody can master everything.

.This mod does and always will have elements of OJP in singleplayer and multiplayer. both singleplayer and multiplayer sabersystems are built as identically as possible, sharing much of the same code. the BOTS and NPC,s have there own separate sabersystems now. they can do things that you cannot, you can do things that they cannot.

I can confirm that both MP+SP sabersystems are fully finished now and i have been playing with the idea of some sort of demo release.

So if you do not know EoC at all i can only suggest maybe you try this

http://www.moddb.com/mods/evolution-of-combat-iii-remastered

but if you want more info before committing to a large download. Most of your answers can be found by reading the mods name.That means no extra maps,models,weapons. it means an evolution of what you already have. the question is...Is it something for you??? or are you just happy to hop around like a hamster,hoping for a lucky hit.

If you think its better to walk in to a room full of stormtroopers. press saberthrow then your saber flies around the room killing every stormtrooper in the room as you stand and watch, then DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS MOD. because its not for you....

If you think its better to walk in to a room full of stormtroopers. They all shoot at you and they just stand there like idiots but not 1 blaster hits you because they are all so shit , then DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS MOD. because its not for you....

If you want to learn something along the way,if you want a real challenge where its perfectly possibly that your going to get your ass kicked and you might actually learn from that then take a look............

I hope this has been helpful to you. :winkthumb:

Here is a recent comment on the download page

So, I have tried the previous version of this mod, the EoC III Remastered. The gameplays feels incredible smooth, and damn, you are a badass jedi/sith. Ty in advance & keep the good work. This is one not of the best mods, but of the best game swords, I have ever played. Simply beautiful, intuitive and solid. You play this game and you are not thinking in the SP bar, you just act at how your jedi reacts, how much are you being pulled back by the furious hit of your rival, how great he is at blocking you... AND THEY ARE BOTS! And man, is so intuitive... I mean... YOU EASILY NOTICE, BY THE ANIMATIONS, WHEN YOU ARE LOOSING TERRAIN. You feel the real pace of the combat, plus I feel there are little tricks to break through enemies defense. One of the things I loved more was the fact that I was more worried by making my hit colide the enemy than random push buttons. Then when both our attacks colided each other, the pull back forces where realist. Perfect timed animations, I can asure you, this is what Lucas Arts should have done.

the full message can be read here http://www.moddb.com/mods/evolution-of-combat-iv/news/eociv-preview-1

I always thought JKO/JKA sabersystems were only half finished and as a result they added a lot of stupid shit to spice it up... I watched fencing videos, swordsmanship videos,

ninja vids, fan vids, startwars fan vids. 

Then this got my attention.

No stupid jumping around ,timed calculated ,and MOST important...Realistic attacks. A real blocking system that is as difficult to master as the attack systems.

I don't want to derail this, and I get the point of your post ;)

But. No, this is not realistic :( I say this because I care about sword fighting (and if it gives any more credibility, regularly practice it in a HEMA club), and while this has some other approaches than the new trilogy stuff, it does not really shed light on how incredibly dangerous any kind of advanced lightsaber combat would be (I can make another thread for that). You notice all the time with the flashy attacks, twirls and funny ways to hold the saber that this is showmanship (and in my opinion very cringey to watch for the reasons above).

Okay, with that well out of the way, as I've said before, great mod! :) I'll give it another try soon and see how it has improved since my last run.

It's sort of realistic, but with coolness factor. You'd have to imagine that this is how saber duels happen when both parties are masters of lightsaber combat, which was hardly the case in any of OT duels. Either way, it's 9531853296073215 times more realistic than Base lightsaber combat.

I watched some EOC sabering videos (didn't check how dated they are), though, and while it's leaps and bounds above Base, I feel like there's way too much unnecessary stuff going on, like sabers bouncing back in a weird way or weird swing animations in general. On top of that, the saber blade swing trail ruins everything (trankfully it's not in all of the videos).

• 2 months later...