[WIP] Raven's Claw 1st Person Cockpit...

That's such a cool idea. Don't know if this helps, but there's an .md3 used for the inside of the Raven's Claw for some cinematics. Pic related:

znw3n.jpg

Closer look:

2lnu520.jpg

Also, don't know if you're familiarized with the aat model, but you could actually use it in 1st person since it had a cockpit modeled inside of the vehicle. Pic related. 

4zyuk5.jpg

Good luck with your project!

We are thinking that the Raven's claw has two cockpits - a backseat with pilot and copilot, and a front seat with a gunner's position. A crawlspace in pilot's position is used to access the gunner's position. However, the guns aren't visibly seen on the exterior of the ship, they probably pop out of the ship like the lights on a Firebird. I'm also thinking that the scale of the Raven's Claw ship model is off by a significant amount, at least with modelscale 1.0.

We are thinking that the Raven's claw has two cockpits - a backseat with pilot and copilot, and a front seat with a gunner's position. A crawlspace in pilot's position is used to access the gunner's position. However, the guns aren't visibly seen on the exterior of the ship, they probably pop out of the ship like the lights on a Firebird. I'm also thinking that the scale of the Raven's Claw ship model is off by a significant amount, at least with modelscale 1.0.

The scale is way off and will need upsizing to fit player size... also the Star wars wiki states that the crew is 2 (pilot, co-pilot-- minimum crew is 1) and 2 passengers-- so 4 total. But I can't find any details of where the "2 passengers" would sit unless it's behind the main crew station.

I agree with @@eezstreet that there is a gunner position down/front of the crew station...

Ok... I'm looking at the MD3 model of the cockpit in MD3View (thanks @@Noodle).  I must say the artists really dropped the ball on modeling the cockpit here for a flight vehicle!  Pathetic!

RavenClaw_cockpit1_zps3grhedrh.jpg

@@eezstreet, how much lee-way do I get here to do this cockpit correctly?  After all they do say it is a "Modified" Corellian Engineering Corporation CRF-156T Fast Courier.

Starship Specs:

Craft: Modified Corellian Engineering Corporation CRF-156T Fast Courier

Type: Light Courier

Length: 26 Meters

Weapons: 4 Laser Cannons, 2 Proton Torpedo Launchers

Crew: 1 Pilot, 1 Co-Pilot (1 minimum)

Top Speed: 120 MGLT

Troop/Passenger Capacity: 2

Cargo Capacity: 10 Metric Tons

Description:

The ship is one of the fastest in the galaxy, rivaling Han Solo's Falcon in pure sublight speed and zipping through hyperspace at a considerable clip. The ship boasts a pair of military-grade proton torpedo launchers, as well as a set of lasers that would cause any attacker to flinch. Additionally, Mon Mothma personally authorized the placement of a Holonet transceiver on the vessel in order to more quickly communicate with her most trusted freelance mercenaries.

But this image does show some top glass that isn't carried over into the MD3 model:

RavensClaw.jpg

This is the inside of the full-vehicle game model:

RavenClaw_cockpit2_zpsvcxjosat.jpg

I want to re-work this to have a glass see-through front windshield...

...and there needs to be the front lower gunner's seat mods as well.

Can anyone find deckplans/blueprints or orthographic views on the net for the Raven's Claw ( I haven't had any luck yet )?

Here are some screenshots from various Chinook-varient cockpits:

1989586.jpg

rockwell-caas-ch47-can-2x.jpg

So it still has to be Star Wars but I want it to be more realistic... do you think the Raven's Claw would use a center stick control or a steering wheel control?  I'm leanding towards a center-stick... but some of these futuristic steering wheel cockpits look good also:

bell_5251227.jpg

image.jpg

honda%2525209_thumb.png?imgmax=800

EDIT--

I really like this Bell 525 cockpit (seats removed):

Bell_525_Relentless_cockpit.jpg

This is a simulated view of the Apache helicopter front gunner's seat:

apache01.jpg

I'm thinking that we chould have a retractable metal plating that would cover the gunner's front windshield (when seat is not occupied)?

@@Noodle

What AAT model?

On Jk2files there was an AAT model published by Hatrus (that I think might have been ported from Battlefront I). This vehicle had an interior cockpit and you could use it from first person. I don't remember if you had to write a special command on the console, or if you could do it with the standard 1st person button (as you can do with the swoop). I had the  .pk3 file but playing with it I believe I screwed the NPC file. 

However, if you're interested you can still check the model and its inside, I've uploaded a dropbox link with it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2vln1eo6s2ohtnt/aat.pk3?dl=0

1989586.jpg

So it still has to be Star Wars but I want it to be more realistic... do you think the Raven's Claw would use a center stick control or a steering wheel control?  I'm leanding towards a center-stick... but some of these futuristic steering wheel cockpits look good also:

bell_5251227.jpg

image.jpg

EDIT--

apache01.jpg

I'm thinking that we chould have a retractable metal plating that would cover the gunner's front windshield (when seat is not occupied)?

I don't know much about planes, but as far as I'm aware the design of most ships in the original Star Wars movies were heavily influenced by World War II planes. Some of the pictures you referenced look nice, but perhaps too clean, polished and modern. Maybe you should look for references in older ships like pic related, which is a lot more claustrophobic and clustered.

b29_cockpit_500.jpg

plane-graveyard-18_2959123k.jpg

Still, if you have a clear vision you should stick to it and pay no attention to my comments. If you manage to make a ship with a first person cockpit, you shall become the elder god of JK modding. 

AshuraDX likes this

1989586.jpg

bell_5251227.jpg

image.jpg

EDIT--

apache01.jpg

How Pilots deal with this shit! (it is kinda amazing :D)

Anyway nice idea with making Raven's Claw cockpit :3

The Apache cockpit looks most correct. I think you should use that as a base with the control panels of the Bell 525 and the steering column of the craft above that one. The Bell cockpit has a nice spot in the middle where the Mon Mothma hologram would work.

As for the gunner position, the Apache works best again here, with minimal modifications.

The top three side windows of the Raven's Claw ought to be where the pilot position is, and the lower two side windows ought to be where the gunner position is located. The gunner's position can be accessed via a hatch in the floor of the pilot's position (underneath the copilot's feet), allowing for quick access when the going gets rough.

The rest of the ship is located behind the nose, and there ought to be a small barracks for extended flights. But I don't think that needs to be modeled (we aren't going for a full interior, just what is going to be played)

As for the guns, I think there are four laser cannons on the outside of the engine (like an X-wing) which are operable by the pilot, and a gatling laser which pops out beneath a blaster shield beneath the gunner's position. There's also definitely a torpedo launcher somewhere on the ship but I don't know where.

This project is extraordinarily exciting to me... I've been wanting something like this for ages and ages. (I also forgot about the ATST interior view... Is that only in Outcast, or also Jedi Academy? How do you switch between views?)

The continuity of the Raven's Claw has always been an issue for me... I like using the cutscenes in machinima when possible, but they are so fleeting and rigid. Having access to that area would be glorious.

There are merits to upgrading the design. The Outcast Movie's take on the vertical cockpit matches better with the Moldy Crow, and just changing the control scheme would make it more interesting but it would be nice to have a spawnable vehicle or map prefab exterior of the ship that matches any changes made.

I will follow this project with great interest.

Ok... so I've been busy with life and other 3ds Max controller plugin projects... but I imported the Kyle dotXSI model into 3ds Max and merged in the Raven's Claw MD3 model...

Star Wars Wiki states that Kyle Katarn is 1.8 meters tall.  In 3ds Max the full-size Kyle model is 101 units tall.  So using Kyle as reference we have:

baseScaleRef_zpstwgzfbhg.png

16.93m for the Raven's Claw model-- which is undersized (as we all knew...).  So now I've found two sources with conflicting lengths for the Raven's Claw.  Star Wars Wikia says it's 20m long ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Raven ).  And here ( http://galactic-voyage.com/Light%20Side-Transports-CRF-156T%20Fast%20Courier-Ravens%20Claw.htm ) it states the vessel is 26m.

Can anybody else find any other references for a Modified Corellian Engineering Corporation
CRF-156T Fast Courier
???  I need a tie-breaker.
:winkthumb: