Model dismemberment

MoJo JoJo

I heard that the dismemberment issue that I'm having may be due to a programmed cap in the model dismemberment in the code. If there's even any such thing, where would it be at?

I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask considering that's the only other thing I know that could be the culprit.

Oh, well it might be a random thing that probably appeared from nowhere. That could be the case.

Have you tried any of the recent builds, and if so have you noticed the problem? Because if you have tried it and not seen the problem then it's only me having this issue and it's probably unable to be fixed.

Um... I haven't encountered that bug ever, that does sound scary. Mine is just simply the dismemberment failing to work when I g_sabermorerealistic on 3 or debug_subdivison on along with g_dismemberment on 3.

I did, however noticed a weird thing in JK2 mode when I use my disruptor rifle and use altfire on a stormtrooper, and then I swing my lightsaber in the exact same spot the stormtrooper was and then limbs would suddenly appear from nowhere.

No offense to them, but Cerez doesn't really know what they're talking about. :D We didn't touch anything involving dismemberment.

@@MoJo JoJo mentioned that after spawning and fighting a number of NPCs (7 or more?) the dismemberment suddenly stops functioning until all severed limbs disappear, which sounded to me like a programmed cap on the dismemberment (for safety/performance reasons).

But it's true that I know almost nothing of OpenJK development, and very little of coding. :P

JKA and JK2 are two very different beasts in terms of their setup/settings. Some things are better handled and updated in JKA, but a lot of good features from JK2 are also missing or only partially implemented.

Also, the SP game is completely different beast from the MP game, too.

JKA may be a sequel to JK2, and it may be using the same game engine, but they are still two entirely different games.

What is it that you are aiming to accomplish? To have model dismemberment happen 100% in the SP game?

JKA and JK2 are two very different beasts in terms of their setup/settings. Some things are better handled and updated in JKA, but a lot of good features from JK2 are also missing or only partially implemented.

Also, the SP game is completely different beast from the MP game, too.

JKA may be a sequel to JK2, and it may be using the same game engine, but they are still two entirely different games.

What is it that you are aiming to accomplish? To have model dismemberment happen 100% in the SP game?

Not really. The only major differences are species selection and the differences in sabering.

In terms of tech, JK2 actually supports JKA .npc files perfectly fine, this functionality just isn't used in the final game for whatever reason. .str files are just an incremental upgrade from .sp files and they used a different tool for them. JKA supports loading new _humanoids for SP with cutscenes, they did this so that porting to the consoles would be easier. There are no missing features from JK2 as far as I'm aware. The inventory system in JKA still exists and you can use the buttons, they are just hidden in the controls menu.

Wait, what are you saying happens here? Because I've had a freak bug in the past where limbs would spawn into new NPCs and try to fight the player.

And uh...yeah, it's about as terrifying as it sounds.

That is the funniest shit I read for a while :D

Yeah I'm trying to get it to work normally again like it used to. That's the aim. It's supposed to work 100% of the time and that's the problem, it doesn't work. Only very little. If you get the latest build and try it out, you would see what I'm talking about.

In fact when you start up SP all you have to do is to start an SP campaign level and then turn on g_saberMoreRealistic to 2 or 3.

At that point you know that all bodies are supposed to dismember, but almost NONE of them do at all. Maybe one or two of them will.

And just a side note: g_dismemberProbabilities has no effect when g_saberMoreRealistic is on because all limbs fall off and not just one.

I've downloaded it, but I can't even get the latest nightly to run on my Mac...

Running Jedi Academy Mode
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
Trying to load "rdsp-vanilla_x86_64.dylib" from "/Users/Cerez/Games/Jedi Academy.app/Contents/openjk_sp.x86_64.app/Contents/MacOS"...
Sys_LoadDll(/Users/Cerez/Games/Jedi Academy.app/Contents/openjk_sp.x86_64.app/Contents/MacOS/rdsp-vanilla_x86_64.dylib) failed: "Failed loading /Users/Cerez/Games/Jedi Academy.app/Contents/openjk_sp.x86_64.app/Contents/MacOS/rdsp-vanilla_x86_64.dylib: dlopen(/Users/Cerez/Games/Jedi Academy.app/Contents/openjk_sp.x86_64.app/Contents/MacOS/rdsp-vanilla_x86_64.dylib, 6): Symbol no"
Trying to load "rdsp-vanilla_x86_64.dylib" from "/Users/Cerez/Games/Jedi Academy.app/Contents"...
Sys_LoadDll(/Users/Cerez/Games/Jedi Academy.app/Contents/rdsp-vanilla_x86_64.dylib) failed: "Failed loading /Users/Cerez/Games/Jedi Academy.app/Contents/rdsp-vanilla_x86_64.dylib: dlopen(/Users/Cerez/Games/Jedi Academy.app/Contents/rdsp-vanilla_x86_64.dylib, 6): image not found"
Failed to load renderer

Okay! I just found out the problem and it's actually not a problem, because there's a define in wp_saber.cpp in the jedi academy code and I found a "define MAX_SABER_VICTIMS 16" in it. meaning that I could only dismember 16 at a time in a map if there are only a few entities. I extended it to 32 and I was able to slice and dice more of them up. It seems that Cerez was correct, it IS a programmed cap but it was always in there from the beginning. Even the jedi outcast code had it but it was never active. So there you go. HECTIC MYSTERY SOLVED!!! :)

Cerez and Xycaleth like this
  • 5 months later...

Okay! I just found out the problem and it's actually not a problem, because there's a define in wp_saber.cpp in the jedi academy code and I found a "define MAX_SABER_VICTIMS 16" in it. meaning that I could only dismember 16 at a time in a map if there are only a few entities. I extended it to 32 and I was able to slice and dice more of them up. It seems that Cerez was correct, it IS a programmed cap but it was always in there from the beginning. Even the jedi outcast code had it but it was never active. So there you go. HECTIC MYSTERY SOLVED!!! :)

I'm unable to make the dismemberment work since I installed OpenJK. Well, it's like you said.. only one enemy will lose a head or be cut in half every now and then. How should I proceed to do the same thing as you?

Edit: The cvars work in Jedi Academy Enhanced.

The way I changed it was through changing the MAX_SABER_VICTIMS from 16 to 32 and more of them were able to be diced, but it doesn't have to be 32, it can be a higher number if desired. It wasn't necessary for JK2 or JAMP because dismemberment always works regardless of the saber victims limit. I tried making the limit Q3_INFINITE and boy was the lag enormous! :mellow: