Revival of JKA's modding community

Like what? Has to be something that actually works, I pretty much can never see flight working well with the map size.

Unless you dinamically place ship models and spawns OUTSIDE the map boundaries - there's a lot of unused (but usable, as Lugor proves a lot of times) space out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Sandbox MP mode with proper sabering system (more realistic than baseJKA mess, perhaps OJK OJP or something like MB2); safe/social zones, ability to sit on chairs/lean to walls/prone; ability to put jedi cloak/hood on and off with animations; realistic inventory with holsters and visible items on you; clothing system (choosing clothes, hats, etc.); better looking saber blades (MB2); removed stupid glow effects on using Force Powers; vehicles with not-too-arcade-y handling; perhaps a deeper character creation system.

Etc.

Not sure how the MBII or OJP system is supposed to be more "realistic" though.

... Really? Maybe look up some videos on YouTube and compare them or something, I really can't be bothered to explain how MB2 (I haven't played OJP, but seen some videos) is so obviously much more realistic than base. And I don't necessarily mean realistic saber handling, but how it looks from the side.
Archangel35757 likes this

... Really? Maybe look up some videos on YouTube and compare them or something, I really can't be bothered to explain how MB2 (I haven't played OJP, but seen some videos) is so obviously much more realistic than base. And I don't necessarily mean realistic saber handling, but how it looks from the side.

I played MBII for 8 years (since b16) so I obviously know how the MBII saber system works.

Maybe it does look more realistic but the gameplay is much less realistic then the base saber system.

Yeah...not too sure either, @@hleV. The only thing MBII does really well is the blocking mechanics.

It's the most essential thing. Without proper blocking mechanics, saber system cannot be realistic. In Base you pretty much just jump around hoping that you saber's blade hits the opponent, which is not how lightsaber combat or any sword combat works.

I played MBII for 8 years (since b16) so I obviously know how the MBII saber system works.

Maybe it does look more realistic but the gameplay is much less realistic then the base saber system.

Wow.
therfiles likes this

Blocking exists in baseJKA, it's just something you have to learn. MBII makes it much more prominent in combat, mostly to make it more like the movies, to give it that Star Wars-like cinematic feel. Both have their place. Obviously MBII has it's own community for a reason, because they change things like that. For a social or RP game setting, more cinematic makes more sense, and I think that's kinda what hleV is trying to say.

Or I could be way off. Either way, both have their place in certain situations.

It's the most essential thing. Without proper blocking mechanics, saber system cannot be realistic. In Base you pretty much just jump around hoping that you saber's blade hits the opponent, which is not how lightsaber combat or any sword combat works.

Wow.

Jedi Academy? Realistic?

Base has it's own proper blocking/Parry/Etc system. It simply is something that takes time to learn, and a good deal of practice/training/etc. Base is not just "Jump around, hope you hit something."

---MBII looks shiny and fancy from the outside. But the sabering system feels quite messy when you actually play it. The cuts feel, unclean. Versus a clean cut on base.

Keep the core gameplay mechanics the same. Perhaps clean up some things(I recall Opensaber did clean up a few things).

Improve the graphics/UI/All the fancy stuff.

---Put in a link to JKHUB in the UI somewhere ;).

afi and eezstreet like this

MB2 looks much more realistic from the outside and as far as I'm concerned its gameplay makes much more sense because you're actually dueling your opponent face to face with occasional jump/kata/etc. rather than jumping and flying around 24/7 until your swing connects. Base is essentially "jump around and hope to hit". Not because one doesn't how to play, but because it's about dodging the opponent's swing most of the time by running/jumping away, with occasional block/parry. That is not how shit works. Have you seen the movies?

I guess you just like Base or dislike MB2 so much that it blinds you and you can't see how the latter makes so much more sense than the former. 

A new mod with the super unrealistic and nonsensical saber system that Base has is what I want the least. 

I had quit MB2 and tried to get back to Base, but that resulted in me getting back to MB2 even though I consider its current system to be much worse than what it was before (pre-V1.1). Base is just that bad.

So make an actually fun sabering system. I can't help but think that people with mindsets like that are the reason we don't have actually good mods for this game. MB2 is an example of a mod that is somewhat good and due to this it's gathered a community that has servers with more people than base or other mods, but mention it and your ideas are instantly shot down. 

It's a Star Wars game. MB2 sabering resembles Star Wars to a much higher extent than Base. Are we talking about non-Star Wars "total conversion"? I don't think so. If it's Star Wars make it Star Wars. If you give me a saber let me use it properly. Keep it fun, but keep the logic in check as well.

So make an actually fun sabering system. I can't help but think that people with mindsets like that are the reason we don't have actually good mods for this game. MB2 is an example of a mod that is somewhat good and due to this it's gathered a community that has servers with more people than base or other mods, but mention it and your ideas are instantly shot down.

The sabering system is the only feature that is unique to Jedi Academy and probably the only reason why so many people kept playing this game over all these years. There is no need to change anything on the sabering system.

Merek, Ping and ShakeThatSalt like this

@@Ping, it's one of my habits when people are being stupid. Don't think it'll go away.

@, so your "so many" is relative. Gotcha. Because in general it's not many at all.

Anyway, what one considers fun may not be fun to another. It's more likely that one will consider some realism in a system as a pro than a con. I don't think I'm the only one can be put off with such a thing as launching a Star Wars game and be forced to run and jump around to avoid getting killed instead of emerging in a proper saber fight which makes you go "oh, well this makes a lot more sense. It works as I would expect it to had this been real". With that you get much more fun because you get to do more things than move, jump and LMB.