If you know what ioquake3 is, I shouldn't need to explain what this project is or of it's significance is. If not, allow me to explain.

iojamp is a project based off of ioquake3 that will completely redefine the way that mods are played. If the mod in question contains all new content (such as Jedi Knight Galaxies or Moviebattles II or Gunslinger's Academy(once UI is done)), it can be played on iojamp without any need for JA to be installed.

ioquake3 added support for these in JAMP:

- alt-tab support

- VOIP

- enriched with SDL

- IPv6 support

- Many, many exploits patched (uncountable)

In addition to these features from JAMP

- Engine code is totally exposed and usable

- GHOUL2 (wip)

- Effects System (wip)

- Light Grid enhancements (wip)

- ICARUS (could be cut possibly imo. not sure)

Screenshot of JA running on iojamp:

http://i343.photobuc.../shot0001-7.jpg

I just saw this beautifulness. That must be a hell of a work, don't you have to rewrite most of the engine code?

Yes. Including the GHOUL2 and ICARUS bits. The part I'm working on right now deals with .efx files. Ensiform and Raz0r are working on other bits, and I was going to ask Rich Whitehouse to take a look at GHOUL2 for us (since he stated a while back that he was interested in something like this for JK2) We have .str files being read (they're a little buggy atm). It's a team effort, and all of our code is on stubert's Git.

The idea of combining VOIP with Moviebattles 2 terrifies me.

Moviebattles 2 could possibly be released as standalone if they ditch some of the player models and change out the fonts that are used. Also, this means that MB2 could do other amazing things (like increase player cap to 64, change networking architecture, improve graphics, etc)

Btw: So you could actually release something like "openJKA", similar to openArena if you replace all models, gfx, maps etc

Yes. That's perfectly legal as long as you don't use any JKA assets.

Cool...but (dumb question)...is it legal? Plus keep Icarus. Icarus keeps the sun shining.

Perfectly legal, and ICARUS is pretty unused to its full potential as of now. It was largely agreed upon that ICARUS would be close to impossible without utilizing C++ (which we can use, but it's a bit messy)

Well if he only uses the code of quake 3 and the mp code of JKA it should be legal. But everything else is not opensource and at least in a grey area

Yes. Most of the programming stuff is written from scratch pretty much, with the exception of GHOUL2, which we have a file header for (which was hidden in the JK2 SDK until recently)

shot0002-5.jpg

EFX parsing is working itself along. The fields aren't fully parsed yet, so it thinks that some fields are there that shouldn't exist. (I didn't get all of the fields parsed today. might be a while)

Also note the various differences in the game as a result of porting to a new setup (iojamp named in the console, blue text in some places, etc)

The idea of combining VOIP with Moviebattles 2 terrifies me.

I'm already drooling. I can't wait to share my sexy voice with everyone.

Standalone MB2 would require some serious asset replacement sadly. I am not saying it's impossible, but it requires a lot of work from people of many areas of expertise. A lot of the maps use BaseJKA content even if not noticeable. Same goes for many weapon effects.

My first thoughts are to drool.

My second thoughts is to how difficult it will be to port code given that everything would have to be pulled from the JKA-SDK. You cannot simply load the same DLLs you would for JKA as it is specificly prohibited by the SDK license. Section 3 - Permitted usage states:

...RAVEN grants to you the non-exclusive and limited right to distribute copies of the Software free of charge for non-commercial purposes by electronic means only and the non-exclusive and limited right to use the Software to create your own modifications (the “New Creations”) for operation only with the full version of the software game Jedi Academy...

So question is, do you have a workaround for this, an exemption from lucas arts or raven are you simply taking the risk that no one cares?

I haven't looked into any details for the iojamp project, but they are recreating the jamp.exe. So it won't be necessary to distribute the .DLL files, and it's not using any code or tools from the JKA SDK. (Again, this is my current assumption, sorry if I'm wrong)

The section you are quoting is for the use of the JKA SDK to create new .dll files, and about distributing these new dll files. And the part towards the end which says "only with the full version of the software game Jedi Academy..." would basically mean that modders aren't allowed to create mods intended for the iojamp project. But if iojamp supports the usage of SDK created dll files, that's not something the .dll authors can be blamed for.

So I don't see a problem, feel free to elaborate if you disagree with me =]

Standalone MB2 would require some serious asset replacement sadly. I am not saying it's impossible, but it requires a lot of work from people of many areas of expertise. A lot of the maps use BaseJKA content even if not noticeable. Same goes for many weapon effects.

No worries. If you copy the JKA assets into your iojamp base folder, you can still run MB2 (but JA clients cannot connect to iojamp based servers and vice versa)

My second thoughts is to how difficult it will be to port code given that everything would have to be pulled from the JKA-SDK. You cannot simply load the same DLLs you would for JKA as it is specificly prohibited by the SDK license. Section 3 - Permitted usage states:

...RAVEN grants to you the non-exclusive and limited right to distribute copies of the Software free of charge for non-commercial purposes by electronic means only and the non-exclusive and limited right to use the Software to create your own modifications (the “New Creations”) for operation only with the full version of the software game Jedi Academy...

It states right there in the passage that you mentioned that we have the right to distribute copies of the software (the mod DLLs) free of charge. The part about the mods only operating with JA don't apply in this case because iojamp is just software that uses other software (technically it would then be a modification of iojamp, which is distributed under the GPL). Using the mod DLLs does not constitute a mod of JA if only iojamp uses them.

So question is, do you have a workaround for this, an exemption from lucas arts or raven are you simply taking the risk that no one cares?

Raven has already stated that they don't care a whole hell of a lot. See here. Futhermore, it should be noted that in your passage, you mentioned Raven, not LA (LA did not write the software)

I haven't looked into any details for the iojamp project, but they are recreating the jamp.exe. So it won't be necessary to distribute the .DLL files, and it's not using any code or tools from the JKA SDK. (Again, this is my current assumption, sorry if I'm wrong)

Correct. It can load any JA mod that exists in the wild (unless it has engine hacks). And technically, if a mod becomes nonworking with JA and working with iojamp, then it's still a mod (albeit not working)

GoodOl'Ben likes this

Would it be okay to distribute with Raven's assets then? :o It does seem they are okay with no-CDs, but where does the line get drawn? Especially considering we are using LucasFilm's IP. If we were to distribute a free Star Wars game, one that is quite heavily based on a LucasArts game no less, wouldn't it be likely for LA to give us a CND?

A standalone MB2 would very much be a dream come true, especially with access to the game at the engine level.

Would it be okay to distribute with Raven's assets then? :o It does seem they are okay with no-CDs, but where does the line get drawn? Especially considering we are using LucasFilm's IP. If we were to distribute a free Star Wars game, one that is quite heavily based on a LucasArts game no less, wouldn't it be likely for LA to give us a CND?

No. Assets which exist in JA are considered to be porting/theft, unless otherwise stated by LA/AV/Raven.

Make an own masterserver

Already exists. See @@Didz's master server implementation

EDIT: I am currently looking to reach out with Raven about the legality of iojamp

I'm already drooling. I can't wait to share my sexy voice with everyone.

Lol, I don't deny that VoiP would be cool. But some of the stuff people type on MB2 is pretty hardcore.

Questionable content quoted in the spoiler.

I don't think I've ever been threatened with a "big black dildo" on any other JKA subculture.

Not to mention I wouldn't look forward to hearing a bunch of 10-12 year olds cursing at Mandalorians and teamkillers.

Another screenshot, this time of the efx reverse engineering WIP

shot0006-4.jpg

Not much to see in this screenshot, but basically, the effects code has had its backend completely rewritten in plain C (over Raven's C++ as hinted in the Elite Forces SDK). As you can see in this screenshot, this is the Flechette Gun's alt fire explosion effect, just with lights alone. Some other effects such as the repeater alt fire also emit some light too. As of right now the line count is 2,855 lines of code to draw simple dynamic lights. ;) But in time I'll be having the more complex game effects like particles, flashes, all that jazz all figured out and working, I'm sure of it.

One interesting side effect is that effects load slightly faster - about 0.12 seconds for each effect by my tests, but every little bit adds up. (The effect files are loaded, but none of the rendering is done for anything except lights atm)

Some other internal changes were also made to the Git repository, including a fix for the lightgrid (not shown in above screenshot) and some other misc changes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...