What will you miss most from JK3Files?

Circa

Miss most about JK3Files?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. What will you miss most about JK3Files?

• Mod reviews by staff
    • Contests
    • Picture of the Day
    • Featured mods
    • Modder Interviews
    • JK3Files Uncut (web comic)
    • The staff
    • Other (explain below)

A disturbance in the Force was felt last week when JK3Files was taken down, along with the rest of the FileFront Network sites. This was a site that used to be the center of all Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy modding, complete with mod hosting, reviews, polls, Picture of the Day, contests, and more.

What will you miss most about JK3Files? This may or may not help us with improving the future of JKHub.  :winkthumb:

You can read our article about the shut down here.

Mert-K, LC-DDM, LavCorps! and 1 other like this

(The below is all referencing JKFiles pre-2011)

Quite honestly, all of it. It's very difficult to find people who are not only willing to do reviews of ALL files, but do them rather well... The contests (When they had them) had some amazing entries and always drew crowds regardless of skill. Picture of the Day was neglected long before 2011, but when it was active (And good) it had some pretty funny stuff. It was always an accomplishment to have your file be featured, even when they made it the top 3 featured items, so if you saw a featured file, you knew it would be good because these people spent the time to analyse the files and review them. The interviews were rare, so I can't comment on those. The uncut comic was pretty funny if you knew the staff, if you didn't it rarely made sense :P. The staff themselves were a real bunch of personalities, everyone around the community who visited the site (Which was a majority) knew who the staff were when JKFiles was at its peak.

A fond memory I had was when I was in the running to be a staff member over there was when Averus and 2 other JKFiles staff members circled me on Taspir and interviewed me XD quite weird looking back, but it was apparently how they did things. Unfortunately my stint as a reviewer and staff member there was quite brief due to school at the time, but it was VERY interesting to see how they did things back then... the whole system was really old fashioned and broke way before 2011 XD you could see it was on the downfall much earlier than when it publicly broke.

MagSul, Circa and therfiles like this

Never got to see the difference, was never around during its best, but when I was first starting, nearing on two years ago now that I think about it, I loved all the in-depth reviews about the maps and such.  Was the highlight of using JK3files for me. Aside from being accurate, some also had a mild sense of humor that you don't really get from more cut-and-dry reviews you often get with games. You know, the ones that sound more like you're reading a documentary written by a monotone robot than finding info on a videogame. Gave a sense of personality that honestly made me want to read the reviews through even if I had no intentions on actually downloading the map.

That all said.. Always did bother me that it seemed almost anyone who wasn't from the USA couldn't access the website. Never really understood what caused them to be blocked that way.

Smoo, Circa and LavCorps! like this

I'll personally miss Infinityblade's downloads. There's no where else afaik that has files he personally uploaded. For those of you who didn't know, InfinityBlade passed away in 2011 I believe.

Didn't think about that. Good point. I bet if we asked Hapslash, he'd give us permission to upload his files here. You think?

Maybe. If hapslash does, I'd like to see is a memorial account for infinity blade here with an about that has all his modding life info along with when he passed. His files can be submitted by that account. He made some cool things and helped a lot of people, it's the least we can do. :)

Circa likes this

Maybe. If hapslash does, I'd like to see is a memorial account for infinity blade here with an about that has all his modding life info along with when he passed. His files can be submitted by that account. He made some cool things and helped a lot of people, it's the least we can do. :)

This sounds like something good for an article. Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge @@SiLink

Circa likes this

This sounds like something good for an article. Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge @@SiLink

Unfortunately I haven't heard of this player before, he sounds like he was a really nice guy though. I'll get on it :) May need some assistance with an article like that though, would you be willing to help me @@DT85 ?

What I will miss is all the mods that will be lost. This site may have a better layout but only small selection of mods compared to the ones jk3files had. Inluding some of my stuff, guess I will need to remake it.

http://jkhub.org/topic/6046-jk23files-kick-the-bucket/page-2?do=findComment&comment=89192

http://jkhub.org/topic/6046-jk23files-kick-the-bucket/?p=88473

You're welcome. Courtesy of @@mrwonko and @@Syko.

Smoo and Link like this

Unfortunately I haven't heard of this player before, he sounds like he was a really nice guy though. I'll get on it :) May need some assistance with an article like that though, would you be willing to help me @@DT85 ?

Some of the other veterans can help also. Trying to think who else was around. @@minilogoguy18 @@Psyk0Sith were you two around hapslash's void?

I was around the Void a lot, but went by various different names. For some reason that forum removed my name change so now it's set to "Second Start" :D

That's where I posted progress for most of my first mods back in the day, like my animation/stance request thread and I did the sounds for a couple of Toshi's models.

DT85 likes this