Autodesk 3DS Max GLM Importer/Exporter Plugins

I guess this is an appropriate time to point out that I made the plugins years ago. And therefore do not remember 100% how everything works anymore. (I can obviously just read my code and figure it out but meeeh)

There are no known issues with scaling using my plugins. And although I do remember there being something about a weird scale factor, my plugins just avoid dealing with it.

Milamber used my plugin to release the Chaosknight model, a zabrak female in a knights armor, ages ago.

So if there is anything more specific about a scaling issue I should be aware of, please be a bit more descriptive, or try my plugins and see if you find an issue.

Edit:

Did a quick check on my code, and my memory is kicking in:

The 64% scale "issue" is part of the .GLA format. Not the .GLM format. And it is used by the game to scale things appropriately (for whatever reason). So the fScale parameter is just completely ignored by my plugins, and everything works fine.

Stoiss likes this

Only just noticed this thread. I have a few issues with the GLM plugins. First off, I'm running 2014 & testing with my EP7 stormtrooper which has LODs 0, 1 & 2.

GLM Importer Issues:

- Imports very large max bones.

While this isn't exactly an issue, it does cause clutter.

GLM Exporter Issues:

- When exporting a model with LODs, modview says not all the parts are connected in the heirarchy.
- LOD0 aka "_0" on the end doesn't get converted to not having the "_0" on the end.
- Export Selected doesn't work, as it just exports the entire .max file anyway

Let me know if you need any more info.

Only just noticed this thread. I have a few issues with the GLM plugins. First off, I'm running 2014 & testing with my EP7 stormtrooper which has LODs 0, 1 & 2.

GLM Importer Issues:

- Imports very large max bones.

While this isn't exactly an issue, it does cause clutter.

GLM Exporter Issues:

- When exporting a model with LODs, modview says not all the parts are connected in the heirarchy.

- LOD0 aka "_0" on the end doesn't get converted to not having the "_0" on the end.

- Export Selected doesn't work, as it just exports the entire .max file anyway

Let me know if you need any more info.

The importer attempts to make bones be a reasonable size/length based on how it's connected to others in the hierarchy. For bones that do not have any children it uses a default size. I guess the default size is pretty big, and might be obstructive in some areas like the face.

This can be changed to be configurable if needed. With feedback I'll probably end up making a v1.1

Exporter issues:

My plugin does not currently support exporting LODs.

This was basically a time saver when I made it though, and the plugin does not require a huge amount of changes to function with exporting multiple LODs.

Again, my memory might not be completely accurate, but I believe the main thing I was missing was just checking how many LODs were in the scene. Which I could also just ask the user for. Other than that I think the code should already support it.

So it's not a big issue, I was just cutting corners a lot back then.

So right now if you want to export, it will only be 1 LOD. And it will not strip the _X ending from the pieces when there's only 1 LOD. (My plugin uses _0, _1 etc. btw) So you'll have to do that manually.

Export selected: I guess this would be useful to have as well.

Hello! I'm trying to use this with Max 2016, copied the GLM_Exporter_2016_x64 .dle and .dli files to the .../3ds Max 2016\plugins folder, but when I launch the Max, it says "DLL <...> failed to initialize. Error code 126 - The specified module could not be found." I'm not an expert of this software, so I dont know its a local problem, or its something with the plug-in. Checked Google, it was advised on forums to install the DX9 files from MS site, but it was already installed, so it didnt solve my problem. If anyone tried to use this with Max 2016, please tell me that is the plug-in working (so its a local problem for me) or not.

Hello! I'm trying to use this with Max 2016, copied the GLM_Exporter_2016_x64 .dle and .dli files to the .../3ds Max 2016\plugins folder, but when I launch the Max, it says "DLL <...> failed to initialize. Error code 126 - The specified module could not be found." I'm not an expert of this software, so I dont know its a local problem, or its something with the plug-in. Checked Google, it was advised on forums to install the DX9 files from MS site, but it was already installed, so it didnt solve my problem. If anyone tried to use this with Max 2016, please tell me that is the plug-in working (so its a local problem for me) or not.

I compiled everything using VS 2013, so you'll need the Visual C++ 2013 Redistributables. That might be the cause of your problem.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

• 2 weeks later...

Progress report:

No progress

I have not done anything since the release. But since I see request(s) for an update. I'll try to spend some time doing the first three on your list at least.

Animation support is not planned at the moment. That's a sizable project on its own.

DT85 and Vitéz like this
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...