JAWS Skins & Ish

Did I say otherwise? I asked him to learn a new skill that will considerably improve the look of his models. 

Read your own quote. " Don't give us another playermodel with horrible UVs - such as Neomarz Clones.", there's nothing in that that's constructive, in fact it comes off as being a dick.

Pickles256 likes this

You guys just don't get german sense of humor. Don't take it personally.

I just ignore it and use it as motivation. He has a point about the UVs on that clone . They were pretty rough. But the point is I've got this. And most of the time what I do is give a basic protection and make temp textures so that the weapon previews aren't just in solid viewmode.

Anyway, I finished the DC-17 makeover. All that's left to do is to get the damn sounds working

Don't ignore it. He always has a point. Just don't take it personally. Back when I started in Lucasforums, I couldn't take a bit if criticism and that set my progress back a lot. Having Ashura pushing you forward it's kind of flattering, in a way. I would rather have my stuff being ripped apart than completely ignored.

Noodle likes this

Did I say otherwise? I asked him to learn a new skill that will considerably improve the look of his models. UV unwrapping is the process of flattening a 3d model to 2D space, which you need to do if you want to texture your model. While you can technically do a flat axis projection for makeshift UVs it does leave a lot of nasty texture stretching on all surfaces that are more or less perpendicular to the projection axis. Which is the reason for the "stripey" appeareance of his gun models front, top, bottom and backsides. I still like to push people to expand their horizons and learn new things. I miss the times when this community was a place of learning from and with eachother. When the community was all about creation of new community-made content. Nowadays honest critics are often taken as personal offense or greeted with a "bitch, please" attitude, which kills the motor that drives improvement. Nowadays this place has become a forum all about whoring for attention and boosting your ego with the least possible effort. I understand why so many modders of my generation have grown frustrated with the community and left this place and I may follow them sometime.

Anyway, back on Topic now. No need to turn this into a another porting discussion.

I was wondering if you could create a tutorial on UV unwrapping like you did with model optimization, it was a nice step by step explanation of something quite useful for modding in this game, and UV unwrapping is one of the things that many of us are trying to figure out and most of the youtube tutorials I've seen aren't too good since they skip steps or go for the 'press this button to automatically generate a UV map' way. 

I was wondering if you could create a tutorial on UV unwrapping like you did with model optimization, it was a nice step by step explanation of something quite useful for modding in this game, and UV unwrapping is one of the things that many of us are trying to figure out and most of the youtube tutorials I've seen aren't too good since they skip steps or go for the 'press this button to automatically generate a UV map' way.

While I could do that you have to understand, that this process is highly software dependant. I may record the Unwrapping and texturing process of my DEMP2 though for some pointers.

Noodle likes this

So two things:

I have released the DC-17 blaster pistol and it is currently awaiting approval for one. For two, Padme's pistol is a first person perspective away from being ready for release as well.

Oops, I have three things. In addition to the DC-17 blaster pistol, I'm going to make a special skin. It *should* be done by the end of the day.

yCUCe70.jpg

Jeff, J19 and Kualan like this

So I went ahead and had a closer look at your DC17 and the way you put it together really reminded me of my early weapon models :D

As you might expect, I have a few suggestions for things you could improve in a potential V2:

•  You have a bunch of duplicate files in your pk3, mostly copies of bryar_blob.tga, bryarfrontflash.jpg and bryarsideflash.jpg in these paths:

models/weapons2/blaster_pistol/

models/weapons2/DC17/

effects/blaster_pistol/

effects/bryar/

You should only need these textures to exist once in gfx/effects/

• I will not go too much into detail about this one, because you surely saw it coming, but the UVs could be a lot better. If you did another projection for the front and backwards facing areas on the gun ;)

Especially with the back of the gun being right in your face in 1st person you might want to fix the stripey appeareance there.

• The textures are currently very basic and could use a little more love. At the moment you have a few solid colors with some slight shading in there and a random partially erased grunge map layered on top of that. I'd recommend you to find or better create a basic metal texture as a base to break up the "un-grunged" areas of the texture. take a look at this for some inspiration, especially regarding this base texture:

• Your model is quite blocky, which I admit all of the reference material is too, but the reference Art I found differs slightly in shape, It seems like you nailed the side silhouette but missed some of the more intricate detailing. Take a look at this pic and see what you can make of it :D

• So now it's time to take a look at your first person .md3. The Hand mesh you used in there seems to be very small in comparison to the gun/the gun looks gigantic compared to the hand.

I also miss any hint to the source of this hand model in your files external credits or the ReadMe.

Can't wait to see what you'll come up with next :winkthumb:
krkarr, yeyo JK, Penekowski and 4 others like this

So I went ahead and had a closer look at your DC17 and the way you put it together really reminded me of my early weapon models :D

As you might expect, I have a few suggestions for things you could improve in a potential V2:

•  You have a bunch of duplicate files in your pk3, mostly copies of bryar_blob.tga, bryarfrontflash.jpg and bryarsideflash.jpg in these paths:

models/weapons2/blaster_pistol/

models/weapons2/DC17/ <- Also contains copies of the .glm and .md3 model files which base JKA won't need, but I think you may have don tihs for compatibility with some other mod?

effects/blaster_pistol/

effects/bryar/

You should only need these textures to exist once in gfx/effects/

• I will not go too much into detail about this one, because you surely saw it coming, but the UVs could be a lot better. If you did another projection for the front and backwards facing areas on the gun ;)

Especially with the back of the gun being right in your face in 1st person you might want to fix the stripey appeareance there.

• The textures are currently very basic and could use a little more love. At the moment you have a few solid colors with some slight shading in there and a random partially erased grunge map layered on top of that. I'd recommend you to find or better create a basic metal texture as a base to break up the "un-grunged" areas of the texture. take a look at this for some inspiration, especially regarding this base texture:

• Your model is quite blocky, which I admit all of the reference material is too, but the reference Art I found differs slightly in shape, It seems like you nailed the side silhouette but missed some of the more intricate detailing. Take a look at this pic and see what you can make of it :D

• So now it's time to take a look at your first person .md3. The Hand mesh you used in there seems to be very small in comparison to the gun/the gun looks gigantic compared to the hand.

I also miss any hint to the source of this hand model in your files external credits or the ReadMe.

Can't wait to see what you'll come up with next :winkthumb:

The only thing (not including textures but models look.. avarage)  that i just cant understand is scaling model in the FPS.. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...