KOTOR 2 released for Mac/Linux/PC

The day has finally come. Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords is now fully native on Mac and Linux!

In addition to that, they've brought some much needed features to all versions, including widescreen and larger resolution support AND controller support. I think there is Steam Workshop support too?

This is why I love Aspyr. :P

http://blog.gameagent.com/knights-of-the-old-republic-sequel-comes-to-mac-and-linux/

Available on Steam and Mac App Store. I think if you have it for PC on Steam already, you'll automatically download the update.

EDIT:

they wrote an article on how to install mods on the Mac version, which they even have their own installer for the Restored Content Mod.

http://blog.gameagent.com/how-to-install-mods-for-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii-on-the-mac/

Bek, Omicron, redsaurus and 2 others like this
Nice. Have they done this for KOTOR1 earlier too?

Also, anyone wanna trade their KOTOR2 Steam gift/key to my JKA Steam key (Humble Bundle)? In Europe JKA is 9,99€ while KOTOR2 is 7,49€ at the moment. PM me if you're interested.

The JKA steam key cost $1 when you bought it...

I hope they bring KOTOR 1 to Linux as well. They've already technically ported it to Linux with the Android version. It would be really easy for them to port it to PC if it's already on Android, don't know why they haven't already.

The JKA steam key cost $1 when you bought it...

I hope they bring KOTOR 1 to Linux as well. They've already technically ported it to Linux with the Android version. It would be really easy for them to port it to PC if it's already on Android, don't know why they haven't already.

Its possible that they could update KOTOR 1 again with all the additions they made to KOTOR 2, and then also port to Linux. KOTOR 1 was one of the first games they ported to Mac, along with JK2 and JKA. Also, they only just opened their Linux studio within the past year or so, from what I understand. It's possible they could revisit it.

Looks good so far! Loving the native resolution on my Retina MacBook.

https://jkhub.org/images/qbPOI1H.png

Cerez likes this

That indeed looks nothing short of beautiful! ^_^

I hope the Steam download is DRM free. Do you need the Steam app to run it, or does it have an independent binary? I really hope they do this with KOTOR 1.

Nothing from Steam is DRM free. :P

Damn you Valve! The day the Steam servers go down, there's going to be crying all over the world... -_-  Evil overlords.

I'm pretty sure you can still play games offline though. Haven't tested but there is offline mode in Steam.

Yes you can play games in their offline mode which is pretty good (in the past it was terrible). You can also possibly get around Steam by using your original KOTOR 2 DVD exe to start the game (or a No-CD exe). I can't guarantee that it will work, but it worked for me in the past when trying to get rid of Steam DRM. In non-steamworks games like KOTOR 2, all Valve does is patch the exe to force it to work with Steam. It isn't deeply integrated into the game like Half Life or Counter-Strike for example.

Also, all of the updates they added to KOTOR 2 were already available for free to people before - it's more or less a just convenience thing for people who own the Steam copy and don't feel like fiddling around with .inis to adjust resolution.

Some people said that KOTOR 2 re-release/patching might indicate, that we might expect KOTOR 3 to be released some time later. Though it won't be necessary called Knights of the Old Republic.

Bioware is currently developing a new Star Wars game, aren't they? Could be something similar to KOTOR 3 of sorts.

Cerez likes this