Knights of the old republic HD. Is it possible?

I've been seriously thinking about trying my hand on a remake of the game. I just have questions on how to get started. I have some of the tools I need to get started, but I lack the knowledge when it comes to mapping and coding for such a complex game. 

So far this is what I know...

- Basic model creation.

- some C+ coding skills.

- importing models into an engine.

- Model Rigging.

- Texture creation.

I'm not trying to remake the entire game all at once by the way. I hope to make small recreated chapters of the game. Anywho, any advice you guys can supply would be very helpful. negative and positive criticism very much welcomed.

Moved to Off Topic forum.

People have already been working on texture recreations for years now.

There was a group of students aiming to remake the game on a whole new engine as part of a project last year, and had no prior modding experience to do so. They expected it to be done within a year's time.

A year.

Needless to say, it didn't even a tad bit close.

Like JKHub is to the JK community, Deadly Streaming is to the KOTOR community. You can head over there and poke around in the active KOTOR modding community. They can help you out.

Cerez, NumberWan and Bek like this

@@Circa is there anything worth showing from what the students did? I know this recreation will take years to complete, I really want this to be a long term thing. 

I'll go check Deadly Streaming out, I'll see if I can get any additional help over there.

Edit: I'm amazed at the similarities of the site and Jkhub, when it comes to interface.

@@Circa is there anything worth showing from what the students did? I know this recreation will take years to complete, I really want this to be a long term thing.

This is all they have to show for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnvYioor-dw

Basically they didn't get anywhere.

Edit: I'm amazed at the similarities of the site and Jkhub, when it comes to interface.

It's because they use IP.Board, the same forum software we use.

As far as HD stuff goes, you'll be better off teaming up with people there, at Deadly Streaming. They know the game better than anyone. :)

Bek likes this

I know too well from experience that having the attitude to do something isn't enough.

Manical persistence is the key. ;)

From your messages, it sounds like this is coming straight from the heart, and strong. I think you should go for it. Who knows to what new horizons a personal project like this will lead you? :)

Bek and Asgarath83 like this

@@Bek

I am not sure the mod Circa mentioned is the one I also saw on moddb. As far as I remember, people managed to change the character models in KOTOR, specifically I remember the Republic soldier. I recall that nicely, because the developers used a different concept for the trooper and fans were a little puzzled by seeing what they've recreated.

Instead of the classic soldier (screenshot from KOTOR) they made a new one (concept art post-KOTOR)

Kotor_manaan_rep_soldier.jpg

RepublicMiliaryKotORCG.jpg

look here for a larger picture

KOTOR 1 somehow has little to boast about on moddb, but there is this mod improving the sound in cutscenes. There is a different mod, which was released many years ago with new textures, but for the most part, a lot of things still incomplete.

Manical persistence is the key. ;)

From your messages, it sounds like this is coming straight from the heart, and strong. I think you should go for it. Who knows to what new horizons a personal project like this will lead you? :)

Thanks @@Cerez, ! You're completely right, I hope to, at the very least, get experience from this. 

@@NumberWan that's interesting, I plan on recreating the troopers using the concept art from the game. However I don't want to do that for every model. I also plan on using the same method Dt uses to create his playermodels. I figure, if I re-create small parts of kotor (like certain parts pf the Endar Spire) I'll be able to gather enough help from other people to create a team, but I'm thinking way too far ahead.

I hope to make this on the Unity engine possibly.

• 3 weeks later...

After a long search for people who probably tried re-making the game, I've only found one reddit post mentioning it, but it's from awhile back.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kotor/comments/1w003k/interested_in_remaking_kotor_1/

Anywho, since my original post, I've made quite a few remakes of the models from kotor, but nothing too substantial. My plan for this project is to just recreate the Endar Spire, and set that up as an advertising demo. Oh if anyone is wondering, I'll be making all this on the Unity engine.

It may be Disney's copyright, but Disney doesn't have a legal reach into private creative projects, only what is distributed publicly. This means that within private circles it would be possible for you to share your project online (through private messages to friends, etc.), and if you do choose to publish it on a site, be ready to take it down at a moment's notice from the public if Disney sends you a Cease and Desist letter. They may never do this, but you need to be always ready when you are dealing with copyrighted material. The same is true for the contents of JKHub and/or any other fan project or site -- Disney could jump on any of this if they wanted to, but they usually don't waste time with this unless it truly harms their interests.

But for you to get to that stage in development where your creative project potentially poses a threat to Disney's interests, you'd have to do a pretty damn impressive job with what you're doing! It would be like a compliment! If you ever get to that stage, it will be time to start thinking of game-making as an actual profession for you, and seriously consider making your own, original games. :P

Bek likes this

It may be Disney's copyright, but Disney doesn't have a legal reach into private creative projects, only what is distributed publicly. This means that within private circles it would be possible for you to share your project online (through private messages to friends, etc.), and if you do choose to publish it on a site, be ready to take it down at a moment's notice from the public if Disney sends you a Cease and Desist letter. They may never do this, but you need to be always ready when you are dealing with copyrighted material. The same is true for the contents of JKHub and/or any other fan project or site -- Disney could jump on any of this if they wanted to, but they usually don't waste time with this unless it truly harms their interests.

But for you to get to that stage in development where your creative project potentially poses a threat to Disney's interests, you'd have to do a pretty damn impressive job with what you're doing! It would be like a compliment! If you ever get to that stage, it will be time to start thinking of game-making as an actual profession for you, and seriously consider making your own, original games. :P

Lol that'll be the day, I can only hope that Disney would give me any type of attention. An cease and desist would be Heaven. And yes this will be a private project, I hope to( once I have a substantial amount of work done) have a nice forum based website up and running, so I can recruit talented others for this project.  

Cerez likes this

The latest news at SWU and tuskenium suggest, that KOTOR would indeed get an HD remake in 2016. It's just a rumor however, but an interesting one...

I highly doubt Lucasarts would go through with something like that, (feel free to come back to this thread if I'm wrong), And if they are planning to make kotor hd, I'd have to beat them to the punch. With the Eu turning into legends, I think it's pretty safe to say Disney wouldn't want to make kotor canonical. And it absolutely wouldn't be given a 2016 release.  

I think they will remake it in HD and tweak a few things to Disney's liking so it can be canon. The rumor said that it would add a few extra things to get returning players back so it's not just revamped graphics.

Sentra likes this
  • 4 weeks later...