Role-playing on the Rise

It's nice to see the role-playing life returning to the JK gaming scene. Recently there's been a spur in role-playing interest, and quite a few new groups/communities forming as a result.

JK's always been practical for role-playing, so it's nice to see this trend returning.

To prevent this thread from degenerating into a contentless batch of praise or hatred for rp'ing (or have it remain as contentless as it currently is), I am going to go out of my way to spark a discussion:

You say that jka has always been practical for rp'ing, but I assume this is not the reason as to why it is nice to see rp'ing on the rise again. This is because from saying that x is useful for doing y, it does not follow without additional premises that an increase in the quantity of x is a good thing. So I am wondering why you think it is nice to see rp'ing on the rise.

Hahaha! Oh boy... I didn't know there's contempt for role-playing. :ph34r:

Well, from my perspective JK3 has always had two aspects: competitive gaming and role-playing gaming. Of course there are more (such as creative world-building), but these are the two I've spent most of my time with when playing multiplayer JK3.

Role-playing has always been a great way for me to satisfy my hunger for social storytelling, and the many community mods in JK3 have allowed for enough expression in the JK world to make role-playing practical in the game. In addition to chat, the extended game features character emotes and animations, and even acquisition and trade of gear and items -- making role-playing in the game a rich experience.

I was simply expressing my delight to see the more colourful aspects of multi-faceted JK3 server gameplay returning. ;)

I love dueling, and FFA-ing when I want to kick some butt, but I also love the fun, personal Star Wars stories that come with role-playing. (So kill me!)

The unique freedom of movement that JO/JA offers I think helps add to the unique suitability to roleplay. Don't ask me how... It just.. does...

Though it seems to be on the rise, you will find most of the remaining roleplay population centralized to a few select communities. Unfortunately, this can lead to leaders of said communities to take advantage of their member-base and flex out-of-character authority and force out-of-roleplay agendas on them all the while knowing they have no where else to go and thus have to just lay there and take the beating. The alternative to getting beat on is to bootlick in order to achieve any progress in those communities.

EDIT: The people that liked this post know exactly what I'm talking about.

Eddsta, KDR_3XILE and Cerez like this

So you are saying that you find the rise of rp'ing nice because you like to rp. Are you going to participate in any of the rp communities anytime soon?

Well, yes, pretty much. *nods* I have and I will. It'd be nice to see more RP communities with an open and friendly approach, without bossing around. Where people have an equal chance to play.

I find restrictive behaviour quite deterring from a good role-playing experience. It's always a shame when the story fun potential is wasted on personal bickering and play of authority.

Also, I think the rise in role-playing interest/activity is an indication that there is an overall rise on JK interest/activity, which, again, is nice to see.