Countdown RPG - Roleplay - Reboot

Countdown RPG is a roleplay that was long dead, but recently rebooted, using some old threads, deleting some. But now we are back!

We are based at the starting point of 15:10 BBY, we are going to progress towards the Jedi Purge(Order 66) with a custom set of missions, with CUSTOM characters as the main characters of this Roleplay. For this we will allow new characters to be apart of a variety of parties. There are 3 Parties in total.

MAIN: Galactic Republic

Party 2: Separatists

Party 3: Neutral

We are very nice to our members, allowing them to introduce their characters with their own mission, we are always open to new people.

We have our own set of rules on our website. For more information add me on steam: TronTheGamer(Picture should be Sith Stalker)

(First mission)

The Party: (Galactic republic) Is sent on a variety of missions, with Jedi and Clone troopers, and none of the above are apart of it, they are the best of the best, using their best tactics to survive and complete the missions. The current Party(Of a few people), is finishing their job on Vjun, the party returns to coruscant for debriefing. But when an alert is signaled from Kamino, that they are under attack by Mandalorians, a bold move, the Party rushes to Kamino to stop this threat. After this, the party will pick up a few more members to it, returning to Coruscant, Republic High Command for Debriefing.

Yes I understand this is not much, but I am adding more as time goes on.

My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TronTheGamer (For questions)

Feel free to contact me. Or post on this thread if you have any questions.

Hello there. We are actually moving the RP to another RP(To be announced), same system as Countdown, but with our own... Style as I say. To your question, we are In game, so to sum it up, that is the character's stats, so for example. Piloting: 1/10 means that they SUCK at flying.

But yeah, add me on steam if you want updates on a brand new project.

;)

Because of your entire Roleplay experience with RPs suddenly dying whenever you are there. We do not want that kind of enviroment around new members. We want new RPers to enjoy a learning roleplay for them.

Update: We are working on a brand new take on Star Wars with a completely new concept. Or are we?

Lmfao so what you are saying is that over my roughly ten years of role playing every community has suddenly died as soon as I arrived? I find that very pathetic as you don't even know me and I doubt you would be able to give examples.

I am honestly disappointed in how stupid some people can be because they believe everything they hear. My communities thrived with a minimum of six players on a night and most weekends would see the server full to 14/14. And as well, that was over the space of probably about 2 years when it comes to all of my communities added together. So you are wrong, wrong about me wanting to cause trouble everywhere I go. I came back to this game after about a year of sorting my life out because I missed roleplaying and genuinely wanted to get back into it but I am welcomed back to the community with this. It is truly shocking. Maybe what you should do is perhaps think 'Oh, this game is probably on it's last legs considering how hard it is to get players on the server. Why don't we put a side our differences and just get along so that we can do what we all want, whether that is free for all, roleplay, siege whatever. But it seems you are unable to do that and focus on the roleplay by outcasting people on sight even though you know nothing about them, only what you've been told by others who quite clearly are holding grudges. To be honest, that's not really a community I would want to be in anyway. So I'd say it's your loss because I honestly was going to try and help you and quite frankly I still will if you allow me.

So it's up to you.

Throughout these last years there has been countless roleplaying communities playing Jedi Academy, of all sizes and shapes really. Some lasted a year or two rellying on a few of the staff members paying for the server(s) or via donations, some used the most basic multiplayer mods others tried Lugormod, OJP and I even remember one particular group using a modified version of the latter, I think it was called JKRP or something...

Well, thing is, when you think about it all of these communities have died in no more than three years' time due to the lack of activity, conflicts between members, all the costs involved etc..

I think the only way you'd be able to properly mantain a group designated to roleplaying in JKA would be with real dedication, you'd need a solid storyline and choose an adequate era in Star War's timeline that allowed you to either have no main canon-protagonist (if you choose the "future", think 75-100 ABY though even then you'd be conditioned by the new movies coming out) OR a past era, like SWTOR's, so that you have more liberty to imagine the events of the time.

You'd also need a new mod, or a modified version of an existing one with more roleplaying functions (I'd recommend modifying OJP or so) like player accounts, character creation features and a death-system, as well as an experience/levelling system perhaps... Think about ::JEDI::, they are one of the longer lasting roleplaying communities, and their success I believe is very related to their commitment, they have a website, their own mod, their own skins and models, their own news system etc...

In short, you'd need modellers and skinners, mappers and coders (though one or two pretty good ones of these should do), not to speak of the capital involved in hosting a proper website and atleast three different servers so players could hop between say, a Jedi Temple, a Sith Headquarters and a Neutral/City planet and that just seems the minimum...

This would only be worthwhile of course IF you managed to have enough activity to atleast form a few different factions... and that's the real problem mate, JKA's a 12 year old game...

I think you'd atleast gather enough people from the dead and rotting communities out there to make a decent large one ahah, but you never know, besides the efforts this involves are not to be underestimated...

Captain Leeroy likes this

Throughout these last years there has been countless roleplaying communities playing Jedi Academy, of all sizes and shapes really. Some lasted a year or two rellying on a few of the staff members paying for the server(s) or via donations, some used the most basic multiplayer mods others tried Lugormod, OJP and I even remember one particular group using a modified version of the latter, I think it was called JKRP or something...

Well, thing is, when you think about it all of these communities have died in no more than three years' time due to the lack of activity, conflicts between members, all the costs involved etc..

I think the only way you'd be able to properly mantain a group designated to roleplaying in JKA would be with real dedication, you'd need a solid storyline and choose an adequate era in Star War's timeline that allowed you to either have no main canon-protagonist (if you choose the "future", think 75-100 ABY though even then you'd be conditioned by the new movies coming out) OR a past era, like SWTOR's, so that you have more liberty to imagine the events of the time.

You'd also need a new mod, or a modified version of an existing one with more roleplaying functions (I'd recommend modifying OJP or so) like player accounts, character creation features and a death-system, as well as an experience/levelling system perhaps... Think about ::JEDI::, they are one of the longer lasting roleplaying communities, and their success I believe is very related to their commitment, they have a website, their own mod, their own skins and models, their own news system etc...

In short, you'd need modellers and skinners, mappers and coders (though one or two pretty good ones of these should do), not to speak of the capital involved in hosting a proper website and atleast three different servers so players could hop between say, a Jedi Temple, a Sith Headquarters and a Neutral/City planet and that just seems the minimum...

This would only be worthwhile of course IF you managed to have enough activity to atleast form a few different factions... and that's the real problem mate, JKA's a 12 year old game...

I think you'd atleast gather enough people from the dead and rotting communities out there to make a decent large one ahah, but you never know, besides the efforts this involves are not to be underestimated...

You are completely right. I saw several new RP the last year and a lot died in less than one month.

Two or three people met and said "hey, even there already several solid RP clans on JKA, if we create our own RP clan ? We will do nothing more than other clan, no unique feature that only our clan has. Just an other classic RP using JA+/Lugormod/[put the mod you want here], but people will join us because WE ARE A RP CLAN !!!!!"

I am impressed by the number of people who don't want to join  an existing solid RP clan but absolutely want to create their own because "we want to be the admins and don't want to obey to existing Jedi Master in other clans".

Generally, these are clan whose the only marketing argument is "we do RP, so all RP players must join us because we are a RP clan".

And the clan die one month later.... ^_^

Stop creating new clan if you don't bring totally new features that other RP clans have not !

Now, look at Countdown presentation :

I don't want to criticize your forum but I just want to show you the points you should improve :

you start with the storyline presentation. Yeah, you chose an original background. I don't know any other clan which use the Jedi Purge story. A good point. But that's all. Your storyline takes 2 lines. You should develop your storyline. Actually, that sound like a "lazy RP". Claiming that you are a RP clan is not sufficient. You must SHOW that you are a RP clan.

Second problem : the main party is the Galactic Republic... eeeh... the Jedis and futur Rebels (Bail Organa) or the Empire ? (because, remember, during the Jedi Purge, there is no more Republic. Palpatine has renamed the Republic into Empire). This is a first incoherent point. Players don't know if they will play good or bad characters.

If they play jedis, they know that their character will die in a few months or years (due to the Jedi purge) but the RP can be intense (always on the move, always in danger, tracked on every planet). If they play Empire... that sounds good ! Tracking and killing Jedis... ^^ but I fear it will be just "find and kill the jedi" missions rather than a real RP.

The rules : http://w11.zetaboards.com/Countdown_RPG/topic/10200469/1/ just a list of "you must do that/ you can not do that". There is any rules about the RP itself : characters. class, hierarchy, ... What kind of personnage should i take ? Jedi ? Clone ? Jedi Side or Empire Side ? Do you allow all side or only your main side ? (galactic republic)

There is a lack of indications about that.

You should have spending more time to develop your forum and your RP before making advertising. Prepar a solid RP and a solid forum with 2 or 3 friends and then make advertising to attract people. Because actually, I don't see any advantage to join your clan rather than an other RP clan, except maybe the original storyline but you did not develop your only point.

"Yes I understand this is not much, but I am adding more as time goes on." They all say the same. But actually, you can not properly welcome players, and players can not properly play on you forum. That's a fact. That's why a lot of new RP clans die

In my own clan, me and 2 friends, we spent 4 months to prepar our forum and our skins/maps/npc/mod pack (due to lack of time and IRL). And we made advertising only when we were ready to welcome new people. We have not a lot of players but the system runs itself and now we can spend time playing rather than building the forum, the RP rules and the storyline (yeah, but we are not a "real" RP clan).

Jedi Holo are successful because they bring their RP to a niche market : this is not Jedi RP, this is Jedi simulation. They spend hours training, meditating and discuting. Not all people like that. They have their own mod they locked : only the clientside is released. That avoids to have a "dispersion" of "Jedi holo" clans. They offer a RP that no other clan offer.

JK-RP are an old RP clan. They have a lot of players but they die and rebirth every six months (due to nostalgia, i think). Actually, they are dead i think. Wait a few months and you will see again a JK-RP clan somewhere. They have their own mod too (OJRP = OJP + RP features) but that prove a personal mod is not sufficient to make  RP clan. The key is to have a dedicated admin too, a good rules system and an interesting RP.

Arma3Adict and Captain Leeroy like this

Jedi Holo are successful because they bring their RP to a niche market : this is not Jedi RP, this is Jedi simulation. They spend hours training, meditating and discuting. Not all people like that. They have their own mod they locked : only the clientside is released. That avoids to have a "dispersion" of "Jedi holo" clans. They offer a RP that no other clan offer.

JK-RP are an old RP clan. They have a lot of players but they die and rebirth every six months (due to nostalgia, i think). Actually, they are dead i think. Wait a few months and you will see again a JK-RP clan somewhere. They have their own mod too (OJRP = OJP + RP features) but that prove a personal mod is not sufficient to make  RP clan. The key is to have a dedicated admin too, a good rules system and an interesting RP.

Good point, but don't forget you can hub both people who want to roleplay more casually, and others who might want to really fit their character's shoes, or simulate their character as you said...

I think to be honest, OJRP was the best modification out there for roleplaying purposes, it had the best lightsaber combat and a nearly solid account system and even though the gunfighting was a bit off I bet if they actually focused on it they could improve it...

I also remember a clan named Council (I think), which was a social clan with a Roleplaying side-server, actually I remember roleplaying with Caelum (this website's founder) back there, I think it was even him who actually told me about it back when we were part of his JKA clan... It was quite interesting since when you entered the server, the admins would roll a random number to attribute your midichlorian count, needless to say it was very rare for someone to be a force user, therefore becoming a Jedi/Sith was very hard. It even had a shop/house rental system if I'm correct.

If both Lugormod's features and OJRP's combat were combined, it'd be a start, but then you'd need a dedicated team of staff members behind it, think JAWA's example or even Storm Riders for that matter!

PS:

I know JKRP, the community you mentioned... Captain Leeroy was there too I think, so were some people like TomsRocc, Sham, Jax and I bet some of them still lurk these forums xdd

I hear everyone, I truly do, however, since the reboot I have failed to change the following things:

The forum is incredibly outdated, from one of the first times it started.

Characters are outdated

Main lore points in GENERAL are outdated.

Please forgive me for these.

We have also tried using OJRP but resulted in whenever using emotes it came up with 'Emotes are now allowed on this server!'

But I am sad to report that due to also the reboot(On steam side at least), we have gotten many negative reviews, the reboot was terribly unsuccessful. If we get more negative reviews, I am going to have to utterly shot down the Countdown project entirely and put a brand new project into play. Different story, different aspects and a different take on everything Star Wars.

If you would like more information please contact me via Steam.

(Although I do not think THIS RP will ever get off the ground.)

In our newer project we will learn from our horrible mistakes. We will try to BUILD first, start later. (Thank you for that advice FJA)

EDIT: We are officially closing down the project for a bad reboot. Sorry for the inconvenience, thank you for your support.

Edited by TronTheGamer

add "seta cm_emotecontrol -1" to server.cfg  to enable emotes with OJRP

@@TronTheGamer : the first question you should ask yourself is : why do you absolutely want to create your own RP clan ?

JKA is an old game and there is no more a lot of players. If you create a new RP clan just to have your own RP clan, you will just break the community a little more.

There are already existing RP clans which can welcome you :

http://jkhub.org/topic/5776-daj-the-dark-angels-jedi-order/

http://jkhub.org/topic/5706-jao-jedi-academy-order-role-play/

http://www.jediholo.net/

The only reason and way to create a new RP clan and to hope being successful is to bring features other clans have not, features which will attract people.

This is the first step

One of these feature is using OJRP. Actually, (except JK-RP), I know only two Polish clan and one French clan which use OJRP or a similar mod.

Make an English RP clan with OJRP can be a good thing but it is not sufficient.

Yes, you can create a RP clan with OJRP, it's a good idea, but your argument must not be based only on OJRP "Hey, we use OJRP so you must join us !"

The second step is to analyse what other clans already offer, and offer something different.

I will take some examples :

http://www.jediholo.net/

Jedi Holo use a Jedi Side only RP. Their RP is based on a lot of discussion and training in the Jedi Temple, and events on other planets. The storyline take place 300 years after the movies. There are Jedi Master with DM powers which can spawn npcs and effects to build the RP (DM = Dungeon Master = Game Master). Their mod is very good, with account system and RP features. They attract people who want a "simulation of jedi life" with a lot of discussion, meditation and all the things of a real Jedi Life. They spend hours teaching or learning the Force. They complete missions too. These missions are organised by Jedi-Masters (or Jedi-Knights) who have admin powers (npc spawn, ...). They go on a RP/FFA map (taris_rp, ...), spawn some npc, ... it is RP. It is one of the best RP clan but their RP is not for every one.

http://french-jedi-academy.forumactif.org/

On my forum, we decided to offer a different way to RP. The RP is Jedi-Side only too (helped by clone soldiers) during the Clone War. The main language is French (even I try to translate important topics for English people) so it's a fact our forum is more dedicated to french people. We use OJP 1.2 with a lot of assets modifications (skins, maps,  complete clone/droid conversion) and we based our RP on the coop mod. Contrary to the Jedi Holo and a lot of other RP clans, we don't need any DM to run the RP. We have a Jedi Temple which serve to discussion and training and which have already npcs. Players can vote or speak to npc to launch coop maps, so they don't need any DM. For example, a player come, says that he received a call from Tatooine, we discuss about this call and then we launch the t1_sour mission. Players invent themselve their RP without needing a admin. Our RP is more oriented action rather than discussion and training. The other advantage is that thanks to the coop mod, we don't need a lot of players. We can have good RPs with only 3 players. We did that because JKA has no more a lot of players.

We don't use OJRP because we think we don't need OJRP features and because some of us don't like the OJRP gameplay modifications. We don't need npc spawn because maps have already npcs. We use written emotes in place of ingame emotes and we find that it will be very strange in the RP  if a Jedi will suddenly be able to spawn npc from nowhere. We don't need teleportation because it is not realistic in the RP. We don't need admin system because players can vote themselve to change the map or kick a lamer. We think that other admin powers are just admin abuse (sleep, slap, demigod...).

All these facts make that we offer a different RP : some people like because they can just come and play without having to make a special event to introduce their charactere. Some people don't like our RP because they prefer a system with a DM who spawn npc and invent the story for them

http://jkarp-thelivingforce.forumactif.org/

TLF is an other french RP clan. We help eachother : I help them to improve their assets and they open a server for us.

They use OJRP and they chose a different RP from us and from Jedi Holo. They have two factions : Republic and Empire, with several class : Jedi, Sith, Soldier, Droid. The storyline takes place 1000 years after the movies.

They do classic RP events, with a DM who prepar the story and spawn npcs (like Jedi Holo and a lot of other clans). Contrary to us, they don't use the coop mode but make RP on FFA maps. Some events are for the Empire only, some events are for the Republic only, some events mix the two factions. They removed the Academy side : they have a Temple for each faction but they don't do a lot of training or discussion on these maps. Contrary to jedi holo, their RP is more based on events and less on the "training academy side". So they offer a RP for players who want a RP with a new event each week but don't want to make a lot of blahblah and training like Jedi Holo. They used mumble a lot to do RP with voice but it seems they prefer use the ingame chat system now because of the chat distance when they are several groups on the map. They use a complete character system, where you start as an apprentice, and choose some powers. Contrary to some other clans progression, players earn XP (on the forum, not in OJRP) for their investment and not for the number of enemies they killed. For example, you earn XP when you participate to a Event, when you write a story for the RP,  when you organize an event and when you are DM in this event. That avoid having people who spam kill npc to earn a lot of XP quickly. The XP allows you to choose new powers and specialization in your character sheet.

Even we are two french clan using a mod based on OJP (OJP 1.2 and OJRP), we offer a very different RP, and very different from Jedi Holo, with some features that no other actual clan offers. That's why we have some players (not a lot but JKA is an old game). TLF is now one year old. FJA/BftR is one year old too but, as I said, we wait several month to build our forum and mod before starting the RP, so our RP is very recent, and we play FFA/TFFA/CTF without RP too.

I hope these example will show you how to build your RP clan. And my advice is : first, watch if there isn't already a clan which offer the kind of RP you want. If there is, join them.

And the storyline is not the only argument to make a new clan. If you watched a good RP clan whose players do RP like you want to play, but you prefer to play during Prelogy rather than Trilogy, take on yourself and play with them during Trilogy. Making an identical RP system with only a different storyline will not give you real argument to attract people : they will see 2 RP clan : one old clan using Trilogy and with a good community, and a new clan using Prelogy but with only 2 or 3 people.

I choose the old solid clan :D

@@Clan FJA

In our newer project to fix our mistakes completely and starting by scratch, we are using the OJRP mod that was given by the developers, although it is private to some clans, we do not WANT to be a Clan, but more of a group, a different take on what it is meant to be. I am going to give a few sneak peaks on our new project

1: An Alternate universe! - We are going to base it in an Alternate Universe, meaning we are not allowing Canon Characters, if you do not understand it, just imagine like 5000 ABY.

2: Freedom of Character Development - We are going to correct things, where we will have multiple parties(main character groups) for a more freedom look at what will happen.

3: It will feature various things that were changed. (In Part 1/Episode 1 we will use a special skin which gives a Clone-Stormtrooper feel, and when DT Finishes his TFA Stormtrooper skin, we will use that for the Empire onwards )

4: OJRP Mod! - We will use the OJRP mod to give more  aspects to saber combat for more people, along with some character rules for Saber combat.(Initiates being Shii Cho, ect)

If you guys would like, we can let this thread die so that I may release the newer RP in the future.

Also @Captain Leeroy

We hope to do such as that, make a community, not a CLAN. We hope to give a good feel for RP in the future project. We promise not to be such a CLAN and become a community, a group.

yeah, a clan, a community, a group of players,.... for me it is the same thing. People will argue that there are differences.

If you want, you can replace every "clan" word with "group of players" or "community" in my paragraphs. That will not change what I said about the rest.

Sounds all well and good, but speaking as a formerly active JK Roleplayer (from the old days, back in 2006-2009, nowadays I just tend to do Lugormod, occasional traditional JA+(+) and screw around with friends on home-hosted servers), it doesn't seem that you're offering anything more than the existing places already are, or have done so in the past. SW Set in the future is kind of a common thing, and is expected if you want freedom in your roleplay so its a good thing, but you're saying it like you've innovated it, when it's been around for years. All in all, the above people are correct. You may as well join one of the existing places out there, the differences between clan and community are very small nowadays, and with how small the JK Community is you're unlikely to attract many new players. Clan, Community, all very much the same thing as FJA stated.

@@Clan FJA

Clans are what make everyone different from one another, we do not want to make an actual clan that you can only have ONE Character which you have to change your entire name permanently until you rank up.

(what Countdown would be like: [CD]-I-Terran-Saulm, What a community is: Terran Saulm) Tags are what make a clan hard to be in, no offense, but from a player PoV, clans have a very common rule with each other. (Do not associate with another clan.) Communities are just group of players looking for fun, not looking for a  whole clan thing where you have to have tags in order to RP.

@@Rick

Lugormod is very cool for editing maps with various assets, although what we do not want to do with a new project is be common or alike any RP. We want to make a different RP where people don't have to base their entire stories off of the Canon universe, like an absurd amount of years, we want players to WRITE the story for players to invent things, one of the only things we are changing with our newer project is Canon Characters do not exist, as there are many good models for characters, we want players to use them, so in  RP, you don't go to the Jedi Temple that was destroyed and you look exactly like Obi Wan Kenobi, and some crazy person tackles him and is like 'Obi! Obi ! Obi obi obi! Where haves you been?'. We want to make our own story(as I said again).

ok, so my "clan" do RP without having tags and without imposing ONE character only, so we are not a clan but a community. That will change our whole conception of life and playing. I have lain to my members... :

I stop discussing about clans and communities because being a clan or a community is not one the features which will make a real difference with other RP groups.

Points 1 and 2 are the same point, and even you have a very special background/storyline, it is rarely the feature which attract people.

And point 3 is not a "feature". So sorry, I see only the 4 point which is original.

RP where people don't have to base their entire stories off of the Canon universe, like an absurd amount of years, we want players to WRITE the story for players to invent things, one of the only things we are changing with our newer project is Canon Characters do not exist

Half  of the RP clan use a non Canon universe (2000 ABY or something like this). In an old RP clan I visited, some people used Sangoku and Jack Sparrow skins.

So it is not a new original idea.

However, like it seems that other actual RP clan use "realistic" RP (no obiwan and no sangoku), It's a feature that you can underline for your RP clan community.

Yes, using OJRP mod and all skins are two good features you can use. You must add one or two more things : an interesting background and not only light Jedis vs bad Siths ; or a special RP system. For example, ask to @Captain Leeroy, he used a fighting system (5 lives, and you can flee) where the winner chooses the destiny of the loser.

There is a lot of disarmement with OJRP so you can say that someone loses when he is disarmed. Then his opponent can choose if he kill him or not.

We want to make our own story(as I said again).

Eeeh, if Roleplaying is not "making his own story", someone could explain to me what is exactly Roleplaying ?

@@Clan FJA

I like the ideas for disarmed, but there is an unlikely chance for the person disarmed to regain his/her weapon if it comes to it. (Example being you CANNOT regain your saber after it is knocked into a pit or something.But if it is knocked aside, there could be a chance to regain the weapon).

Indeed alternate universes are different in MANY ways. But one of our main ways in our newer project will be slightly the same, but without some aspects from the canon universe. We still want to keep a familiar feel to it, not something completely different where the new guy has to relearn everything.

But in general, you can use whatever skin that fits your character. (Like a Jack Sparrow skin for a smuggler or something.)

Thank you for your input.

If you would like, you can add me on steam to talk over IM about said project.(As Xfire is shutting down.)