JKLeague needs help from the JKHub Community

Hey Guys :)

Well i don't really post on here much so @@Circa hope this is in the right section, if not sorry but yolo,well anyways i started building this project awhile ago and at the started off fairly well but issues came up such as database, and payments got messed up which eventually left it till what it is now... We did have a lot of support on hitting 20+ people registering in just a few days but we couldn't really get it off the ground due to my own lack of experience on running a "eSports Organizations" and also i reach the point of overflowing my workload. So i'm here on asking support from the JKHub's Community Members on building JKLeague on what its ment to be designed for and that's Casual, Pro Circuit Leagues, Tournaments and also Events for Jedi Academy! :)

Whats the point in this post?

Well of course rebuilding the site and also asking for people to possibility of people becoming staff members that have experience in this field which don't really fit the role, So i'm asking if possible that Ex JKA ESL Admins and Players would to help me build and improve JKLeague. If anyone would like to help or have suggestions please PM thank you :)

Smoo likes this

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but you don't really have a very good track record when it comes to doing anything. Projects have a tendency to be engaged in haphazardly and left unfinished whenever you are in charge and I am not willing to invest time and energy to man a ship that has a blind captain. I wish you good luck with the league.

Pete invited me to JKLeague soon after start. You hosted 2 servers: both american, both with mods(ja++ and openjk?). No. Just no. Move one server to EU(Germany/France) and make both base with security fixes and without gameplay changes. I don't know what mod is used on ESL servers but CTF pugs use Base Enhanced.

Pete invited me to JKLeague soon after start. You hosted 2 servers: both american, both with mods(ja++ and openjk?). No. Just no. Move one server to EU(Germany/France) and make both base with security fixes and without gameplay changes. I don't know what mod is used on ESL servers but CTF pugs use Base Enhanced.

Well we could always look into moving a server to the EU. @@Caelum hows the free jka servers going? ;)

I have to agree, JA++ isn't quite suitable for competitive play. Ideally I'd put more work into the CompJA project but as usual time/resource limitations.

I'd recommend sticking to base_enhanced, jaPRO and OpenJK.

Well the JA++ server is gonna be scrapped from a recent discussion i had 2 days ago, I'm probably going to use Base or OpenJK.

Well the JA++ server is gonna be scrapped from a recent discussion i had 2 days ago, I'm probably going to use Base or OpenJK.

There are broken sabers blocks on OpenJK, so pls don't. I recommend Base Enhanced because of pause feature and better spectator - you can see all players through walls with names over heads.

Broken saber blocks? Do tell, because that code has not been modified and you can check the source code history to verify that.

It is not any more broken than any other mod. I'm welcome to being proven wrong, though.

mrwonko likes this

I saw few discussions also on Esl where players were lamenting about that. I don't play sabers anymore so I can't confirm that but I don't think they just imagined that. They play sabers so I belive them. I know sabers code wasn't changed but...

Problem is that the saber combat depends on so many things in JKA, starting with sv_fps (doesn't use openJK a different default value than base?)... and I heard that using a different compiler can cause differences in the blocking behavior, but I'm not sure if that's actually true

Grab likes this

There can be radical differences in the consistency and weirdness of saber combat even between base servers with the same settings. Sabering in JKA is unfortunately somewhat of a mess, but it's still great of course.

Back on topic, merging with JKH wouldn't get the project anywhere without legit staff to help run it. It would be a fairly large responsibility, and not many of those who are qualified would be interested in such a commitment.

Maybe making it JKHub official would change that, not sure.

MrDJSilva likes this

Well, this is a great opportunity to have JKHub acquire its own league and branch out into areas other than modding. A lack of staff members that know how to run a league can always be amended by asking for staff applications, and especially once you start advertising the league, you'll get the attention of a lot of people with experience who know what they are doing. The thing is, you guys are credible and reliable whereas people should think thrice about working together with Silva. Merely putting a JKHub stamp on the site would be a mistake for exactly this reason.

Circa likes this

If there's a difference in behavior when the cvars are the same, it's probably due to a difference in compiler, and maybe (this is a big maybe) you can compile it under VS2003 which is what Raven used. I don't even think you can get 2003 anymore besides pirating it anyway.

On topic: we would need staff that's qualified for it. I'm not opposed to having a player community coordinator at all, we'd just have to do a normal hiring run.

That being said, there would have to be some changes to how JKLeague works if it were to merge with us. Starting with dropping one of the US servers and getting an EU server.

Yeah of course, a lot of things would have to be changed. Most importantly though, I think it would be really excellent if we could somehow integrate the league into the (upcoming) website somehow, but I'm sure that would take a lot of work.

Circa, MrDJSilva and afi like this

Yeah of course, a lot of things would have to be changed. Most importantly though, I think it would be really excellent if we could somehow integrate the league into the (upcoming) website somehow, but I'm sure that would take a lot of work.

Ping, Are you talking about a one account login for example; Google accounts, and one account can connect to youtube, gmail adsense. but a version between JKHub and JKLeague?

I'm talking about full website integration, not just shared accounts, i.e. I'd rather not see a repeat of what tja did with its swtor and mb2 sites (although they didn't even share accounts). I mean something more akin to the way the filesystem or wiki are integrated into the website here (maybe not the wiki, since the integration is currently a bit weak and is being worked on for the new website, but I hope you see my point).

MrDJSilva likes this