Illegal to use Lucas arts material (music/audio) in mods?

yes, technically it's illegal use material by other games. if you sell and sold it, it's VERY illegal, if you simply use for a mod, it's a grety area of legality. otherwise you add more notoriety to the authors if you credit your fonts. 

But if you use material fo VERY OLD games your not get much risks.

but it's not the better way.

the best way is not porting or ripping but make by yourself map and models.

also, mod is free. play and download mod is free. if you make this for passion, it's okay.

if you sell your mod, yes, that's it's illegal because is a copyright violation.

interwet is full of audio, music and information copyrighted, free hosted on youtube etc. watching and listening is not illegal. if not, internert would not exist. internet exist for freeing share of data and information between peoples.

my think about that is really simple: if you not want that someone copy or use your own works, not host on web.

min modding there is the artistic propriety of the mod. there is any law that force to respect this, but it's good thing that people ask ever to other mod author before use his material.

When I started, I asked for some permissions but the emails I tested didnot work, and I had no response (a lot of authors are no more in JKA and have changed their emails).

So what I think and I do now : I do not ask any permission but I put as many readme files I can and I assume I can not public release my modifications on website like JKHUB (except stuff that are entirely from my own work).

That should be not a problem if I share modifications of stuff from other authors with some of my friends only for a private use.

If really an author don't want I add his map/mod to the mod of our clan, he has just to tell me and I will delete his content.

So I think : if you do your mod only for you and your clan/friends, you can.

If you want to public release your mod on website like on JKHUB, you must see if the mods you use are opensource or ask permission to the authors.

Oh, @Circa, I use your Prequel Music Conversion in BftR, are you okay or should I delete it ?  :wub: 

Ask for permission and credit where you can, but otherwise anything built on the Star Wars universe by fans is legally considered theft pretty much. None of this content is truly legal. It's just a matter of not pissing off anyone, so the mods can stay.

I'm pretty sure LucasArts or at least Raven are aware of mods like Movie Battles II and so far they didn't care... it could change now with Disney but I doubt it (as long as you're not going to sell anything)

z3filus likes this

I'm pretty sure LucasArts or at least Raven are aware of mods like Movie Battles II and so far they didn't care... it could change now with Disney but I doubt it (as long as you're not going to sell anything)

Well, so far Disney's been okay with fan art of various types based on their main animated features, so I don't think they'll throw a fuss about Star Wars. As long as you're not making money on it, yes...