Is it a graphics card issue?

Last night I was playing L4D2 on lowest settings on my pc (i5, 8GB RAM, GTX 570something, SSD) when a friend messaged me on Steam. Right after I shift-tabbed back, the screen froze and I saw black and white boxes fill up the entire monitor.

Kinda like this but only the black and white boxes lol

196310_10150215093661303_1766018_n.jpg?o

And then it blue screened. Caught something like unable to display or similar and after the reboot, everything became super low res and looked like this -

11295660_10153326735091303_1088245488023

There was a small dialogue box of the crash report that included something about 'sysdata'.

Anyway. Before I rush off to dump money on a new gfx card, Is there anyway to find out if it IS the gfx card broken or it's a software thing? There had been a update for Nvidia on both Windows Updates (which I ignored cause new updates are usually buggy) and then the Nvidia panel at the bottom also informed me there were updates. Not that I remember if it's automatic update or not...

Just to note, I've seen single or up to three strands of cyan lines on my screen before but they usually disappeared with a reboot. Entire setup is about 4 years old. Nothing new installed of late.

Although I'm very sure it's your card, graphics drivers are not loaded in safe mode. If it's a driver issue, safe mode should work fine. Try that and then uninstall and reinstall the drivers in safe mode.

its you graphic card there is broke, i just had the same issues with one of my 970 cards and had to send it back with a rma to get a new one :(

i have tried everything, i spilt up my PC and put it all together again, new cables to my SSD drives and updated them and check them for firmware and updated my bios also, everything there was possible, untill i found the card there was making the problem, and only tried that one card and removed the driver and install it again and it gave my does things on the screen as you get, somtimes it was working and other times it was not. 

z3filus likes this

I powered it up earlier and to my surprise it ran fine...so I was stupid enough to update Nvidia...and then kept on screen spazzing and showing me 'driver has crashed and recovered' to the point where it blue screened twice, gave me the funny screen again and I just did a system restore...

Still hoping it isn't a card issue.

Edit: No it hates me still. Arggh. Also I can't get to safe mode. Lol. Keyboard won't let me do anything til it goes on the logon screen.

I powered it up earlier and to my surprise it ran fine...so I was stupid enough to update Nvidia...and then kept on screen spazzing and showing me 'driver has crashed and recovered' to the point where it blue screened twice, gave me the funny screen again and I just did a system restore...

Still hoping it isn't a card issue.

Edit: No it hates me still. Arggh. Also I can't get to safe mode. Lol. Keyboard won't let me do anything til it goes on the logon screen.

Did you check to see if your video card is properly seated in its slot and locked in? Also, take a look at your contacts on your card and see if there are any darkish/blackish marks on the contacts. 

If you have access to another video card that would be a good way to see if your card is the actual problem and not a bad slot on the motherboard.

do you have access to a second PC ?

then you could put your graphics card in that one to check wether the card itself is broken or it's a software problem on your machine

would be a good try ofc, to see if he can force it to do the same ting on a nother pc with the same driver he use on his own pc