Taunts by Tauns

Hello.

When changing sounds for my model and testing them in game, I noticed something. Depending on the name of selected sound (taunt, taunt2, taunt3 for example), the chances for actually hearing that sound changed. When every .wav file was a different one, the chance for hearing other sound than taunt.wav were little. How does it work? It's not random, I think, but I'm not sure if there even is some kind of maths behind it, rather than simple picking in some order, unknown to me.

Thank you for answering.

Hello.

When changing sounds for my model and testing them in game, I noticed something. Depending on the name of selected sound (taunt, taunt2, taunt3 for example), the chances for actually hearing that sound changed. When every .wav file was a different one, the chance for hearing other sound than taunt.wav were little. How does it work? It's not random, I think, but I'm not sure if there even is some kind of maths behind it, rather than simple picking in some order, unknown to me.

Thank you for answering.

Take a look at this topic. It explains the settings for Jedi Outcast, but they work in Jedi Academy as well.

http://jkhub.org/topic/3170-custom-sounds-in-jo/

No, no. What i want to know is the mechanic ingame wich selects one from (for example) 3 taunts. How does it work?

Is there even a known mechanic? :o

If anyone wants to know. It's randomly chosen from avaible audio files, depending on type of taunt.

If anyone wants to know. It's randomly chosen from avaible audio files, depending on type of taunt.

I find it curious that when you do a taunt in multiplayer, the sound you listen to is not the same that other players might listen. Sometimes when I hear a taunt1, my brothers listen to a taunt2 or taunt3. Wonder why does that happen. 

Yeah that would be handled client side - if you think about it, what if you don't have their model loaded? If it calls for 'taunt4' and your kyle default character doesn't have one, you'd hear nothing. It just calls for a generic 'taunt' and the client-side handles the rest

Noodle likes this

i never check the code about that, but i suspect there is a variable in the cgame code something like q_irand, 1,3 that randomize the taunt, anger etc sounds of NPCs or players. for what i see, if you want a random taunt sound not put a taunt.wav but a taunt1, taunt2 and taunt3, that should work little better. for NPCs, works better gloat1, gloat2, gloat3, you can use with the taunt combination or without taunts for taunts the player.... be careful: too many taunts and gloat cause NPCs to never shut his mouth until is dead. XD

taunt4 not work for what i know.

i have used some taunt1-2-3 + gloat1-2-3 for some of my Npcs bosses. they NEVER shut off! :D they talk every few seconds injuring the player for all the combat. it's really funny, but after some minutes become boring.