Supporting 1.00

This is the main website of Jedi Academy now, and I do not understand why it does not have any contents for the older version. And when we ask for something in JkHub forum for 1.00 to support, then answer is "Oh, so you're one of THOSE guys... Yeah, have fun. " (This was written by eezstreet). Personally I created many useful things for both versions, and helped players to solve their problems with cvars, mods, or tech issue. I really do not get why admins take side of a game and support only their preferred version. It would be easier to work together in this almost dead game. Forexample I have a working NOCD Crack + Cvar unlocker (cg_thirdpersonrange unlocker for HD Graphic) for both version, what is should be a must-have file for everyone who has 16:9 screen. Now it works only with base (not-modded) versions, but it can be extended easily. (more info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00_sqVi9Wsk)

So just think about a full support without ignoring players, just because they are playing another version.

Cerez likes this

I haven't seen enough threads about 1.00 to really warrant a whole new section for it. This isn't specific to just 1.00 players, but has been said for most other requests for new sub-forums. I'd rather not have a sub-forum that only has 2 or 3 topics. Do you think it's as necessary as you are implying?

Or are you referring to a file section? Simply putting "for JKA 1.00" in the title would be fine. I could add a tag for it as well.

Asking questions exclusive to 1.00 are perfectly welcome in the sections provided, if that's what you're worried about.

Raz0r, eezstreet and Link like this

Basically what Circa said, I don't think any one is ignoring any one... The sections of the forum can apply to 1.0.1, 1.0.0, JK2, heck even dark forces :P since they're named "Jedi Knight ..."

It also makes my skin itch a bit when people refer to this game as "almost dead", the daily steam stats alone for this game are very impressive and have been on the increase for a while now thanks to so much support from Humble Bundle, source code release, Steam sales and YouTube playthroughs (A surprisingly high number have come from watching these). I think the game presently is more popular than it has been in many years.

That was written by me prior to becoming staff and represents (or rather, represented) my views as a community member, and not a member of staff. With that being said, players are free to discuss any version of the game, whether it be JK2 1.00, 1.02, 1.04, JA 1.00 or 1.01 or not even anything related to these games.

I don't think however that it warrants an entirely new section, as both JK2 and JKA are covered under the current forum sections.

Cerez, therfiles and Link like this

ok, I,ve found them (stupid I am)

Global

Fixed dynamic glow performance for new ATI drivers (if you are
experiencing low framerate, go into Setup - More Video and
change dynamic glow to off).
Updated EAX 4.0 sound support.

Single Player fixes

Force feedback defaults to off (if you are experiencing hiccupping
while playing, especially during lightsaber battles, go into
Controls - Mouse/Joystick and set force feedback to "No").
Note: Gravis gamepad users should turn force feedback to off.
Gravis drivers aren't compatible with Jedi Academy and will
cause the game to crash.
Patch will work around manufacturing defect which causes
single player not to run.
Resetting defaults in game will no longer reset your skill level.
Fixed bug allowing player to select a force power that had already
been maxed out.
Fixed animation issue if enemies force push you while executing a
special move.
Ragdoll fixes.

Multiplayer fixes

Fixed bug causing Internet servers to time out too early on master
server list.
Fixed bug causing various movement sounds not to play consistently
(footsteps, rolling, etc.).
Fixed bug regarding turning off of second saber.
Fixed bug preventing camera shake if hit by explosive.
Fixed roll animation.
Fixed exploit allowing for illegal character models.
Fixed bug allowing rocket launcher lock-on after death.
Various exploit fixes.

Only fix of exploits and issues.

I heard that there are real differences of saber gamplay between Outcast 1.00, 1.02 and 1.04

but it seems there isn't any change between JKA 1.00 and 1.01 except bugs fix (i agree that lock-on rocket launcher after death is very cool :winkthumb: )

Cerez likes this

Why do we have to answer this every time again? It's not because of the gameplay but because of the community. This was (at least for me) the reason to play in 1.0 for a couple of years (and because of the fact that you can play public ffa without ja+ or other mods)

Why do we have to answer this every time again? It's not because of the gameplay but because of the community. This was (at least for me) the reason to play in 1.0 for a couple of years (and because of the fact that you can play public ffa without ja+ or other mods)

Because it's not an obvious answer? And because you're definitely the minority? Because it's not common information? It's a fair question, relax. Quit playing the victim when someone is legitimately trying to learn about your "community".

Community as a reason still doesn't answer the question... there wouldn't be a community without good reason. It has to come from somewhere. So is it more because you had a larger number of servers that were available to you that only used baseJA?

It's just curiosity. It's not an attack or a critic.

I saw in one hand : a lot of servers and players with some bugfix, and a large modding community, and in the other hand : just some servers and some players with some opened bugs and a little modding community... => I was curious to read your preferences.

Maybe, the reason to keep 1.00 is because there is not japlus and other admin abuse community ?

But people can open basejka server too with 1.01.

Maybe the reason is just because even you give an update, there are always people who refuse the evolution and prefer to keep their old system

(Windows XP... I love you  :wub:  )

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. But the exact same questions (and mostly the same answers) come up every few months.

While back in 2006 the community in 1.01 was still really big, the 1.0 version also had a community of a couple hundred players (probably bigger than most people know).

The size of the 1.01 community was actually a reason for many people to stay in 1.0. It's like a village against a big city. In 1.0 you saw the same people all day and everything was just more relaxed and less competitive (pretty much like on ja+ servers but without ja+).

I guess many people (like me in the beginning) installed the game, started playing multiplayer, made friends and didn't really see a reason why they should update their game and leave their clans and their mates behind. I think playing in 1.0 nowadays is kinda pointless though as there are more servers than players.

Again, that's just my opinion.

Smoo and Cerez like this
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry, I was really busy these days, weeks. I will try to answer every ideas, questions in this one post.

Circa: Yes it would be great to make a tag for downloads for 1.00, because many things just does not work on 1.01 (like: all server and clientmod, that patches the dlls or the exe). It would be great to make it easier to find those files, topics that is for the 1.00 section.

Clan FJA: I have played 1.01 for years, but I don't know... I prefer the community on 1.00. :) Maybe because here easier to know most of the ppl, because there are less people playing. I also prefer the fighting system, the blocks are higher on 1.00, but more precious, than on 1.01. I saw the topic, where eezstreet busted this myth, but this is true anywai. The whole socket communication is different, the snapshotting is different also.

And you mentioned the bugs :) I am a programmer and I was able to fix the biggest ones (Fixed bug regarding turning off of second saber., Fixed exploit allowing for illegal character models., Various exploit fixes.)

Botdra: Bugs can be fixed without the source of the game (There is no SDK or source code for 1.00). I can fix many things in assembly (It's the closest readable language for the language of the processor). The 1.01 modified too many things in the game, that we just don't like. But it is your business always to like or don't like things.

And for all: The game does not require a setup for being able to play (I mean this game is like a portable one). So if you copy the files it requires into folders, then double click on the jamp.exe, it will run (if you have the background libraries for this software, like c++ redist etc). So you don't have to choose between versions! Most of use (1.00 players) play on both versions :) You can create two folder for this game, one for 1.00, one for 1.01 and play both. I have created many useful server modifications and many useful client modification for out version, so it won't be less fun than 1.01. Like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00_sqVi9Wsk . Also my server (The Jedi Academy - 157.181.240.57:29999) is a modded one. I added some extras based on the ones i loved on japlus (more duels, maxhp duel start, hp showing after duels, black names, no forcepower required for jumps and some others), so its fun too :) This is why we does not need a full mod support for it :)

If you are interested in this version also, lets give it a chance and try it out yourself, don't believe other's opinion.

Daniel

Artemis and Smoo like this

This is an interesting suggestion, and I do think it's good to support as many personal preferences people take as possible within the community, but I'm not sure how wide an adoption rate this really has.

I would recommend a poll to see how many 1.0 users we really have in the community, and see how we'll proceed from there, instead of arguing about it.

Backwards support is always tricky because it requires a thorough insight into the software changes. I think it's only worth spending time and effort on if there is a considerable need for it within the community.

But I agree that a "works with 1.0" badge may be good to implement for mods/files if we have a number of 1.0 users.

Smoo and Iburidu like this

And also, I don't think the result will be as good as we imagine :) There are many developers for 1.00 also. We worked hard before the SDK and the source code also :) I was really active in the past 4-5 years in jkja development with a few others. 1.00 have issues still, but we created everything to protect our servers. So 1.00 is really playable :)

I don't understand eezstreet. Compilers can compile the original sourcecode, then why it does not compile the modified one? 1.01 is only 1 month younger, than the 1.00. 

The original code for 1.01 (and so also the 1.00) code was written against the VC++2003 compiler which was terribly non-compliant with the C/C++ specifications. As a result, trying to compile them straight out of the box doesn't work as there's a lot of code that compiled fine on the intended compiler, is actually invalid C.

I know these. Microsoft had always different view of C++. The VC++ isnt compatible with the "official" c++ compiler (like gcc) now and in the past also, but Im sure the jk source can be compiled with VC++ compiler with the original opengl library (if i remember well 1.5(?)) without problems :) Impossible is nothing in programming. 2 years ago on stackoverflow they said it is impossible to send the original jk server output to the standard input, but I did: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19298861/reading-console-buffer-output-c

Smoo likes this

Nowadays the visual c++ is pretty much 100% compliant which is why you can't compile the original code with it. Sure if you grab vs2003 it would compile out of the box, but then you lose out on all the advancements in compile time optimisation.