Terrain Texture Size

Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

So, I ended up quitting my mapping a while back after feeling as though I would never be able to successfully incorporate terrain, however recently I made another attempt.  Unfortunately, I ran into the same strange issue that I had before, and figured I should ask for some help before just giving up on it.

Basically, the issue I'm having is texture size in the compiled map.  They look fine in easygen, and I've tinkered with the shader files quite a few times now, but with no success.  To better understand exactly what happens, I've taken a few screenshots of in-game vs. easygen.

Easygen:

easygen1.jpg

easygen2.jpg

easygen3.jpg

In-Game:

shot0000.jpg

shot0001.jpg

shot0002.jpg

Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

P.S. The mountains in the background are just a temporary model I made for the skybox, no terrain or shader issues there.

@@mrwonko

Yes, any non-terrain textures show up fine after compilation, the only ones that decrease to that extremely small size are the textures that are supposed to show up on the terrain brushes.  As for the shader templates, I've tried using both standard and q3map2.

Standard ends up producing a shader file that has something like this

textures/01/terrain_0
{
	surfaceparm nolightmap
	q3map_novertexshadows
	q3map_forcesunlight
	{
		map textures/2_terrain/grass.jpg
		rgbGen vertex
		tcmod scale 0.533 0.533
	}
}

And q3map2 produces something more like this.

textures/03/terrain_0
{
	qer_editorimage	textures/03/terrain_0
	q3map_material ShortGrass
	q3map_lightmapsamplesize 64
	q3map_lightmapaxis z
	q3map_texturesize 2048 2048
	q3map_tcGen ivector ( 960 0 0 ) ( 0 960 0 )
	{
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
		blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_ZERO
		tcGen lightmap
	}
}

Although, unfortunately neither one seems to work for me.  Is there any way I could manually edit the shader file to make the textures appear larger than that?  I've already tried adding "tcmod scale" in a few different ways, but nothing seems to work so far.

After using the rgoer template, and compiling the terrain in a map, it appeared as though the shader didn't render at all, just a white and grey grid indicating a missing texture. I tried manually editing the shader after that, and at least got the textures to show up again, but they're still shrunken to that minimum size.

The shader file after exported the map with the rgoer template looked like this.

textures/01/terrain_0
{
	q3map_baseshader textures/01/terrain_base
	qer_editorimage textures/2_terrain/grass.jpg
	{
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
	}
} 

And after I edited it, it looked like this.

textures/04/terrain_0
{
	q3map_baseshader textures/04/terrain_base
	qer_editorimage textures/04/terrain_0
	{
		map textures/2_terrain/grass
	}
	{
		map $lightmap
	}
} 

I'm not sure why you are having issues. I did my terrain using phong shading that someone was nice enough to help me with. All I did with easygen was get a .map file totally untextured, import into Radiant, and caulk it all. Then, I was able to use the blended textures or shaders along with the specific phong shaders to blend my terrain. It was just sand and rock but it turned out ok.

I can send you the shaders and blended textures that were made for me to see if you can help you out. You'll have to make your own blended textures unless you want sand and rock, though. :)