Star Wars Battlefront

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Playing the open Beta, I think its a good and really solid. My only complaints being Walker Assault on Hoth is very unbalanced, imperials having the advantage because it is extremely hard to take down the ATAT's, Missions are also somewhat repetitive and easy, but this may be because the Mission in the Beta only has 6 waves (Final game has 15) and can only be played on normal mode. The Beta also teases a little bit of the content that is going to be in the game, this definitely shows if any possible game issues are to be present during the release, it's that the game might lack content. The game runs nicely (I run at around a solid 110+ fps on high with my GTX 970, about 80 and a few dips on ultra) and servers are very easy to find. I think this game (depending on the beta) is going to be pretty good (It's gotta be better then all of the Call Of Duty games in the past 5 years). November 17th come faster !! 

I noticed that there is only player vs player in this Battlefront which is good.The hero system is almost identical to Battlefront 2 since their basically timed power ups.Luke still needs his Hoth Pilot suit since it would fit the map and then later use the Jedi Knight clothes for Endor.

I agree Luke should have his pilot outfit on Hoth, hopefully this will be added in the final version of the game. I actually feel the heroes are very much underpowered, they are easily outgunned by a large number of people and taken down, though I cannot think of a for this to change, especially in walker assault.

I managed to play some of the beta yesterday on the PS4 and my mind was blown! 

The graphics, needless to say were absolutely incredible, as well as the sound. It was also incredibly smooth, smoother than any other game I've played ever, I didn't experience even the slightest bit of lag, even in multiplayer. It truly felt lifelike and immersive, like I was really in the Star Wars universe. The controls were easy and felt pretty natural, very similar to the old games. Now for the gameplay. Overall I found it to be easy enough to be fun, and challenging enough to keep me playing without getting bored. It's a nice balance. At a glance, the gameplay seems very simple, but the customization with star cards (secondary weapons/items) and power-ups add quite a bit of depth to it. You really have to think about what star cards to equip and when to use them, and there's quite a variety of star cards available in the beta, ranging from grenades and rockets to sniper rifles to jetpacks. All with their strengths and weaknesses. Most star cards have unlimited uses and have a cooldown effect. Others, however, have a limited number of uses, and have to be replenished using special powerups called charges. This indeed add another extra bit of challenge to the game. There are three levels you can play in the beta, I got to play all of them:

Survival Mode on Tatooine: In this mode, you are a lone rebel soldier who must survive against waves of imperials. I played this on easy mode (This was the first mode I played). It's pretty much exactly what you saw in the E3 gameplay. Even in easy mode it was pretty challenging. The enemies are easy to take down, but they can overwealm you pretty quickly. In this mode I was given pre-made loadouts I star cards to use. In my best match of this I got 37 kills and survived 5 out of 6 waves (there are probably more waves at higher difficulty levels).

Walker Assault on Hoth: This was definitely the most fun and epic out of the three. In this mode the Rebels must secure uplink stations in order to sens in a bombing run to disable the shields of the AT-ATs, rendering them vulnerable. The Empire must prevent the rebels from doing so and defend the AT-ATs. The Rebels win if the AT-ATs are destroyed. The Empire wins if they are intact after the time limit. I got to play this as both sides. I didn't really get to try the vehicles much, but I did get to fly a TIE fighter around a bit. The controls and handling are identical to the original games. I unfortunately did not get to try out the heroes. But just the infantry combat alone was really fun.

Drop Zone on Sullust: This was the most fast-paced out of all the modes. In this mode each team has to capture escape pods as they fall. The first team to get five wins. Needless to say, you needed to stay on the move. Very fun.

therfiles and Syko like this

I gave this a try now for an hour and even on my PC, which doesn't meet the minimum requirements (!), it runs really smoothly, even on lowest settings (which, by the way, looks great still). I only had a chance to really play Drop Zone but I found this a lot of fun. My main issue with it so far is that you have to press 'Start' every time you want to respawn, but other than that it's great so far :D Looking forward to try out Walker Assult.

EDIT: I did have problems with starting it up now I think about it, probably due to out of date graphics drivers, or because my GPU is too old (it only has 1GB mem, minimum requirement is 2GB). It would crash after the splash screen (e.g. click to start). I got around this by pressing Alt+Enter to go into windowed mode, and then it's fine after that. Putting it back into 'borderless window' makes it fullscreen again but without the crashy crashy.

I'm don't think they did tbh. Every image of the AT-ST's I've seen from the movies look to be the same as Battlefront's. Don't forget, they raided the Lucasfilm archives for reference on everything from Vader's suit to the Gonk droid.

Jolly and Syko like this

I've been playing the beta a lot more now, and more issues have become apparent. Not only is balancing a issue on Walker Assault but the random spawns are a issue as well, enemies spawning behind you and getting cheap kills. Hopefully this is reworked in the final release. I've also gotten to play the Xbox One version of the Beta and it surprisingly ran well, but rubber banding every now and then on mulitplayer was very common and very annoying, this may of been due to a poor Internet connection though. 

EDIT: I did have problems with starting it up now I think about it, probably due to out of date graphics drivers, or because my GPU is too old (it only has 1GB mem, minimum requirement is 2GB). It would crash after the splash screen (e.g. click to start). I got around this by pressing Alt+Enter to go into windowed mode, and then it's fine after that. Putting it back into 'borderless window' makes it fullscreen again but without the crashy crashy.

Nah, I had the same issue on my 2GB HD6950 on the latest drivers.

I'm don't think they did tbh. Every image of the AT-ST's I've seen from the movies look to be the same as Battlefront's. Don't forget, they raided the Lucasfilm archives for reference on everything from Vader's suit to the Gonk droid.

I agree. Looks like in the movie the upper part of the legs is slightly more inclined, which might make it look taller.

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/d1/Atstendor.jpg

• 3 weeks later...