Damn you, Star Wars trailer..

It's a model.

Also, when I said "totally not thinking of Artus," I was being sarcastic. :P

Would be neat to fly in an X-wing. That /fly_xwing cheat can't be a coincidence. It would be even cooler if we did a short interlude where you play as a Rogue Squadron pilot helping to take down the Doomgiver. Maybe replace the cinematic of them coming in, too.

It's a model.

Also, when I said "totally not thinking of Artus," I was being sarcastic. :P

Would be neat to fly in an X-wing. That /fly_xwing cheat can't be a coincidence. It would be even cooler if we did a short interlude where you play as a Rogue Squadron pilot helping to take down the Doomgiver. Maybe replace the cinematic of them coming in, too.

I'm really lovin' this idea!!!

When I get back from vacation, I will import the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade model for the X-Wing (including the interior cockpit) to start from... wish we had the XWA flight mechanics/dynamics.

Cerez and Asgarath83 like this

The real problem with flight in this game is the level size, it's just way to small to be enjoyable. You'd have to scale everything down to the size of a ammo pickup just to get a large enough map to be playable.

This, unfortunately. Still, considering the largest map size available, and shrinking down the fighters to 1/10th of their normal size (along with the speed) you could have maps 36 x 36 km wide. Not taking into account all the other limits.

I think it's plenty feasible to do a space mission over Artus or around the Doomgiver. The map size ought to be big enough to support it. You could take the three Doomgiver missions, decompile them and line them up correctly, and then overlay the unused Cairn prefabs, plus Cairn Dock bits could be overlaid to get the size of the bridge. From the shots in the cinematic, each one of those little chunks is an AT-ST pod containing 4 AT-STs. When you think of it that way, it really makes the Yavin missions seem insignificant.

Doomgiver4.jpg

If I remember correctly, each pod is something like 1024 - 2048 units tall.

That should get a rough size estimate of what the ship should actually be ingame. Actually building the ship in Radiant is easy since all of the textures exist. For performance sake, each pod would probably need to be converted to a misc_model_static or something for LODs.

Now in terms of what the actual mission entails, I could provide some specifics into the implementation. There's four potential hook spots:

1. The cutscene where we see Rogue Squadron initially get involved after contacting them. I was thinking that at this point, the Doomgiver is likely still just navigating out of the Lenico system.

2. The ingame cutscene where Jan and Kyle meet. There is a brief exchange between Jan and Kyle which was cut from the game. If I remember right, it goes something like this:

<some kind of noise..>

Jan: What?

Kyle: I've got a bad feeling about this! (much more stern than the other three or four times he says it)

Jan: Kyle? What's going on?

Kyle: Quick, grab something!

-----

Jan: What was that all about?

Kyle: I think I know where we're going.

<continues..>

This doesn't translate well, and Kyle doesn't explain that Rogue Squadron is bombarding the ship, so I might just not use this hook.

3. When Kyle kills Galak, there could be a brief cutscene showing Galak's suit being destroyed (I always felt that he died rather anticlimactically compared to Desann and Tavion) and a brief screenfade. Loading screen for new map. When finished, use a new info_player_start on doom_shields again and do the Gravity-esque thing that happens after you kill Galak.

4. After doom_shields is finished, our super awesome XWing mission starts.

I'm thinking that there could be two Doomgiver X-Wing missions. We play as an unnamed, silent Rebel pilot that's part of Rogue Squadron. On the first mission, we are approaching Doomgiver (but not actually making contact) to investigate Kyle's distress call. Ideally it starts nice and quiet, with a bit of banter between some pilots perhaps. Just giving basics on flight, since it'd be different. Then, a bombing strike is attempted on the Doomgiver, but the shields are repelling the missiles, and we have some engagements with tie-fighters. On the second, we're actually destroying the Doomgiver and eliminating as many AT-ST pods as possible before they can fall. I'm thinking of keeping it slightly on-rails but giving freedom with flight.

This entire section would be skippable.

Another idea is to have an Artus mission where you play as Jan. This would take place just before Artus Topside. I was always very slightly annoyed that the map started off as a race against time. You'd have a few brief firefights on the ground as you try and load transports, but you'd take to the sky to eliminate TIE bombers before they can drop a payload. Could be potentially interesting.

Archangel35757 and Bek like this

@@eezstreet -- we could hack the XWA demo mission (others have done this) and replace it with a trial-run of your flight mission(s)... just to flush out your concepts ...even replace it's intro cutscene with something custom. I have all of the XWA tools to do this-- just never got around to using them.

We thought about doing this for true space missions for the SOTE mod years ago.

From StarWars wiki:

"...However, New Republic agent and Jedi Knight Kyle Katarn infiltrated the vessel [Doomgiver] and transmitted the Doomgiver's coordinates to Rogue Squadron, who ambushed Doomgiver above the jungle moon. Katarn then sabotaged the ship's shield generator. Vulnerable to attack, Doomgiver was destroyed when Rogue Leader managed to destroy the bridge. Katarn escaped after a fight against Fyyar and found and rescued Jan Ors who had been held captive. The Doomgiver exploded above Yavin 4..."

When I get back from vacation I will whip up this (X-Wing) mission in XWA editor...