Star Wars Episode VII Discussion

They certainly implied Rey is Luke's daughter at the end but don't forget the trailers and marketing implied that Finn was going to be force sensitive when it was in fact Rey in the movie. It might be a bait-and-switch and she could be revealed to have a different lineage in Episode 8. If Rey is indeed Luke's daughter I wonder who Luke had the child with, there was literally no character in the original trilogy introduced who he could have fathered a child with other than Leia and they would never write that into the story.

Darth Sion likes this

They certainly implied Rey is Luke's daughter at the end but don't forget the trailers and marketing implied that Finn was going to be force sensitive when it was in fact Rey in the movie. It might be a bait-and-switch and she could be revealed to have a different lineage in Episode 8. If Rey is indeed Luke's daughter I wonder who Luke had the child with, there was literally no character in the original trilogy introduced who he could have

fathered a child with other than Leia and they would never write that into the story.

EU/ Shadows of the Empire -- Mara Jade

Yeah but...she's from the expanded universe and Disney through all of that out of canon.

The upcoming Rogue One could be a good time to retcon a love interest for Luke into the picture. Not that Luke will be in the movie, mind you, but it could introduce a female character(I believe the main character is a woman, though I could be mistaken) that could either appear in Ep8 or be referenced in Ep8 by Luke. That way the audience could know who he was talking about even if Rey wouldn't.

Or they could not dwell on it at all, similar to how Luke's mother was only mentioned... once... in the entire OT. But that'd be a bit strange.

Yeah but...she's from the expanded universe and Disney through all of that out of canon.

However, they CAN bring her back into their canon. Since Mara is a fan favorite, they might use that idea. The problem I see though, is Disney, Lucasfilm and Timothy Zahn coming to a deal. Since Mara is Tim's creation, they have to get his permission and credit before they use her in any way.

Personally I LOVE the Force Awakens movie. I liked every part of it, just at the very fist 1 minute i thought "Oh, JJ what have you done with it" and later on until the very end I loved it. I even like a lot Kylo Ren. I am also very happy with my Kylo Ren First Order hoodie and the BB-8, and Kylo Ren 1/2 action figures from the cola-popcorn menu I've bought. Only need to buy the Sphero BB-8 :P

eezstreet and Syko like this

However, they CAN bring her back into their canon. Since Mara is a fan favorite, they might use that idea. The problem I see though, is Disney, Lucasfilm and Timothy Zahn coming to a deal. Since Mara is Tim's creation, they have to get his permission and credit before they use her in any way.

To be honest I think the amount of fans that even know of Mara Jade are very small and are only part of those who read those Expanded Universe books, which is pretty small in comparison to the entire fan base. I don't think it's a large enough amount to make Disney bring her back unless the character fits with their existing plans. And they probably already own the rights to the character. Timothy Zahn's book series probably had to be licensed by Lucasfilm in the first place to be sold as a Star Wars book.

BruceJohnJenner likes this

It is possible, that wanted the lightsaber to be ignited in the hands of Luke in Episode VIII. We already know, that in September or so they were making a scene there with Mark Hamill. So the moment with Luke in the next chapter is more important than in Episode VII, which serves more as a bridge between the generations and timeline.

As for Mara, the idea wasn't dropped completely (before cancellation of the Clone Wars many ideas were found in the script-sketches from EU). Some believed Mara is still somewhere there in the story, but by the time of TFA she is dead. General Hux - unknown earlier - was believed to be her and Luke's son, who was disappointed in the Rebellion and his father, but didn't hold grudge against the Jedi, it was more like a conflict with a father and a desire to join the Empire, the powerful party (as it seemed to him) to be farther from the father, who failed (and failure led to mother's death (Mara)).

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

It is possible, that wanted the lightsaber to be ignited in the hands of Luke in Episode VIII. We already know, that in September or so they were making a scene there with Mark Hamill. So the moment with Luke in the next chapter is more important than in Episode VII, which serves more as a bridge between the generations and timeline.

As for Mara, the idea wasn't dropped completely (before cancellation of the Clone Wars many ideas were found in the script-sketches from EU). Some believed Mara is still somewhere there in the story, but by the time of TFA she is dead. General Hux - unknown earlier - was believed to be her and Luke's son, who was disappointed in the Rebellion and his father, but didn't hold grudge against the Jedi, it was more like a conflict with a father and a desire to join the Empire, the powerful party (as it seemed to him) to be farther from the father, who failed (and failure led to mother's death (Mara)).

Do you have ANY proof of that General Hux claim...?

As much as I like the show, unused pre-cancellation concepts for The Clone Wars don't really apply to the sequel trilogy or new canon, because unlike the sequel trilogy and new canon, TCW was under George Lucas and mostly fit itself into existing EU lore. They had no idea the EU was getting wiped or overwritten back then, so the creators' mindsets would be completely different than they are now.

As for the EU references TCW makes left and right, those references could technically mean anything now, because TCW was kept as canon and the EU was not. It's not dissimilar to how Coruscant was actually introduced in one of Zahn's books before appearing in Menace, and now Menace is canon, but Heir to the Empire is not.

Jolly likes this

To be honest I think the amount of fans that even know of Mara Jade are very small and are only part of those who read those Expanded Universe books, which is pretty small in comparison to the entire fan base. I don't think it's a large enough amount to make Disney bring her back unless the character fits with their existing plans. And they probably already own the rights to the character. Timothy Zahn's book series probably had to be licensed by Lucasfilm in the first place to be sold as a Star Wars book.

There is a book, I forget which one, that puts Mara in the original trilogy in episode 6 in Jabba's palace as the redhead dancer in disguise waiting on Luke Skywalker to show up so she could attempt to assassinate him.

@

That wasn't a claim, but a theory, which I saw a few times on the different sources. More like speculation really, but it sounded reasonable at the time. With the release of the film we now know, that Hux has no connection to SKywalkers, as some expected. But perhaps is can be related to the former Imperials of the old Empire. A few of my friends asked, whether they missed someone of the old Imperials in Episode VII, I mean, have there been any old guys, which can be familiar? I can only remember a few young ones, while there also was an older commander with grey hair, but not from the OT.

@@Garyn Dakari

True and not. While many ideas from the old Canon are no longer related to the new films (and new canon), a lot of the old canon is going back still. Mon Mothma was only partly known to those who wasn't a fan of EU, her role was developed greatly in books and games. However the new Visual Dictionary places her in the same position as before: She was the first Chancellor of the New Republic, while in older sources she was the first President of the New Republic.

The flags at Maz's Castle also indicate various fractions, some of which appeared long before any cancellation of the old canon. This was known even before December 2015.

The new official Galactic map doesn't forget about Bothawui, Dantooine and Rakata Prime (yes, Rakatan Empire existed before the Republic).

We can be sure, that TFA actually boasts quite a lot of references even to the old EU canon. We'll simply have to pay attention :)

The latest theory to rise in the net is actually about Rey: some claim, that she was brought to Jakku by Kylo Ren long before the events of the film. She doesn't remember, while Kylo doesn't want to. I don't believe in this one. The fact that he says somewhere "It's her" doesn't mean he played a role in her earlier life. I am more confident, that Rey might have been a child during Ben's years at Luke's Academy, but he might have seen her there once or twice. If we theorize, that Rey is indeed Luke's offspring, then she might have stayed with her parents at the Jedi Academy. Kylo kills all the Jedi and presumably her mother, while Luke is away and is saved by someone else, most likely not a Force-user... And thus she ends up on Jakku.

Haha, made my week! Can I use it with credits and post it on my FB wall if that's ok with you?

So long as you link back to my DeviantArt page, that is A-Okay :)

@: Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it was Coruscant(I trusted they'd have the good sense to show something iconic, like the Senate building, were that the case) but I was curious as to what it was.

So long as you link back to my DeviantArt page, that is A-Okay :)

@: Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think it was Coruscant(I trusted they'd have the good sense to show something iconic, like the Senate building, were that the case) but I was curious as to what it was.

Nice to see that some Star Wars fans brave the depths of what is known as Deviantart. I won't lie, I do too sometimes for lineart and such, but I'm sure you and I have both seen some..."questionable" artwork on there.