GtkRadiant 1.6.4 on Windows 10 Tech Preview

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has tried installing GtkRadiant 1.6.4 on the Windows 10 Technical Preview?

I've got it to install and open, but the grid isn't being drawn onto the screen. I have it set to 'Run as Administrator' and 'Run in Compatibility Mode'. There isn't an option to disable desktop composition as that is now part of the operating system, as was the case with Windows 8/8.1, except I was able to get Radiant 1.6.4 to run on that without any issues. Since this is a technical preview (and being run via VirtualBox) I don't expect the best of compatibility at this point. I was just curious if anyone else has tried using it and if they have gotten it to work successfully? It also appears that Jedi Academy will crash the entire OS on start-up at this point.

Thanks,

I am using an older system, but I wonder, if the issue still exists even if you switch the coloring scheme of the Radiant itself. What I mean is that you can use a different grid, instead of white a black one (like in WorldCraft editor for Half-Life) can be put in place.

Have you tried the grid size change? I mean, it can be turned off at all via a hotkey.

Windows previews are known to be very unstable and often work very different to the actual Windows release that follows. I remember running the 8 preview for an extended time, and when I switched to the actual 8 release, apart from the UI, it was like running a completely new system. Even if you do get it to run well on the preview, it doesn't mean that the same setup will work on the release.

Still, it may prove to be an interesting experiment...

Can you run GTKRadiant with a log? It may be that certain libraries are missing. But if you got the software to actually open, and remain open, that's a good first sign.

Sounds like because you can't disable the desktop composting feature anymore after Windows 7.  Some drivers have issue with desktop composting being on (Aero in Vista/7) and allowing the radiant rendering to work.

Just a guess though.

To my knowledge I don't believe Windows 8/8.1 or 10 use Aero anymore on the desktop.

I guess it should be noted that GtkRadiant 1.4.0 loads up fine without any issues, both the grid and 3D view. Except once I try to move the camera it starts spinning around uncontrollably and I can't unlock control of the 3D view. The version of GtkRadiant 1.6.4 that I downloaded was also from JKHub here in the 'Downloads' section.

Can you run GTKRadiant with a log? It may be that certain libraries are missing. But if you got the software to actually open, and remain open, that's a good first sign.

In GtkRadiant 1.6.4 there are a few errors that are being logged, everything appears to be fine until it gets to this section:

FreeShaders...Warning: OpenGL Error GL_INVALDI_OPERATION - The specified operation is not allowed in the current state.

Done.

Synapse server core is shutting down

This is followed by numerous: WARNING: ~CSynapseClient errors.

• 2 years later...

I used Radiant 1.4. and 1.6. for may years, but both worked just fine with Win7. Currently I also installed both versions on Win10, but both have problems here: 1.4. has all the textures whitened, a common issue often mentioned here and there it seems.

I would still prefer to use 1.6. (and not 1.5.), however it won't start on Windows 10 due to some files missing, as it claims, missing VCRUNTIME140.dll, as well as MSVCP140.dll. When I used the editors on Windows 7 for the first time, something similar occured as well, but I still managed to resolve those. Currently looking into this matter, but perhaps someone is already using GTK Radiant on Win10 and succeeded in solving these issues?