Quake Freed: Call For Jedi Academy Content

As much as I would say say makermod is dead, it isn't. I've had people PM me on the MBII and JKhub forums asking for makermod files and expansion packs. So clearly there is still interest in the mod. Of course, it is true that lugormod is far more popular and well known, however makermod is so much easier to build.

Cerez likes this

Maker mod is sorta like the Garry's Mod of this game. It's different in many ways. Lugormod is like an RPG or FFA where the server owner can place objects for people to use, and players have a stored account. People have often designed quests via scripting and some basic entity placement.

JA+ continues the honor code stuff. It's the most widely used mod by far, but several coders consider Slider to be inept. It's not totally true, nor that he stole code from Jedi Academy mod.

Also while we're at it, DC MOD for JK2 deserves a mention as it was fairly popular among smaller clan servers.

And, you should also mention that there's a distinct division between JK2 1.02 servers and 1.04 servers. 1.02 didn't have an SDK and mod makers had to reverse engineer the QVMs. I can only recall one specific mod but I don't remember the name.

Also noteworthy is that the official source release no longer exists, unlike other Quake games. Raven took the code down because it included some proprietary libraries like Bink and Xbox SDK. I think it's actually possible to obtain the source because of a loophole - they used a GPL mp3 library, therefore it might be possible to argue that the source HAS to be available due to clauses in the GPL. (By including GPL code, the whole project becomes GPL. Because something is GPL, the source must be made available, even if only by request). I've been meaning to do a direct comparison with this library and other games released by Activision that have mp3 playback in them (Call of Duty, earlier Raven games, etc) to argue that other games are violating the GPL, but I haven't done so yet. Might be a neat little exposé.

Cerez, Onysfx, Link and 1 other like this

Maybe the majority doesn't understand it all though, and tends to accept what ever they are given. That could be true yes.

That's more or less what I've meant. People like me always complained about JA+ for what it does to the saber combat (and I think that's for a reason) but most people accept it or maybe don't even recognize most of the changes. And it's obvious that competitive players care more about (even really small) changes to the gameplay than the average RP/Clan-players. You are right, some people complain just because it's not base which is stupid. Personally I don't care which mod is installed as long as the gameplay is the way I want it.

But that's what I mean with "people don't really care".

Makermod and Lugormod were the ones I played almost exclusively.

Another mod I find very unique is modwooty. There's pretty much no information about it online, but it's a Power Duel mod with a lot of stats and special moves and so on. One interesting aspect is that you can but sub-admin once you've won enough gold, which allows you abuse other players if you want to.

eezstreet and Smoo like this

I think the main reason JKA is so popular is because it is available for modding, allowing for a wide range of flexibility in its design, despite its old base technology.

Most of that is thanks to having been built upon the flexible engine known as the Quake 3 engine, but some of it is thanks to Raven Software's organisation of JKA's resources and assets, and much of it is thanks to the community's efforts to keep the game and its development resources accessible.

TRUE.

Not true. ID is responsible for that.

Smoo likes this

Makermod and Lugormod were the ones I played almost exclusively.

Another mod I find very unique is modwooty. There's pretty much no information about it online, but it's a Power Duel mod with a lot of stats and special moves and so on. One interesting aspect is that you can but sub-admin once you've won enough gold, which allows you abuse other players if you want to.

Oh geez, is that still running XD? That was on way back when I started in JKA in 2004, really fun but confusing at times (At least back then)

Mrs. Wooty and that pit though.

Smoo likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

I am very much interested in the JK source release, however it clearly is still early days with not much tangible to point to. (Remember, my medium is mostly visual with added text, and that means it biases "screenshot-able" content)

What I hear from the thread is
Lugormod
Makermod
MB2
Movie Duels
JA++

Also floating around on moddb:
Jedi Knight Galaxies (their site seems to be down so I cannot download it)
Gunslingers Academy

Here is the second video in the series:https://youtu.be/fhBIKgorhQg

How do I embed?

You may also be interested in jaPRO, which is a project that was built on OpenJK. It is probably the most actively developed MP mod on JKA right now. It mostly focuses on Defrag, but it also adds in competitive play for full force and saber-only combat. There's also a ranking system with an online leader board.

Official jaPRO site: http://upsgaming.com/japro/

Leaderboards: http://upsgaming.com/stats/

Server-side GitHub commits: https://github.com/videoP/jaPRO/commits/master

You can see some Defrag races done on the server here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6gSq01QghEafASe5VqGHBA/videos

JK2 - NT mod. it's a mod made for competitive defrag and also has some features for CTF, including crash fixes, new statistics, minor bugs fixed, strafehelper, etc. saber ctf is the most competitive gametype in JK2 (chatmods are terrible) 

JK3 - japro (combined defrag-strafing, jk2-style ctf, ja+ fullforce, base duels into one mod)

JK3 -

#1 - jaPRO  (read post above)

#2 - JA+ (best fullforce combat system that replicates JK2 ff but makes it better, no mod to date has beaten it in Fullforcing combat perfection, and JA+ is the most downloaded mod in JK3, tons of NF servers use it as well)

#3 - Lugormod (in its prime before it got oversaturated with bad features)

Also floating around on moddb:

Jedi Knight Galaxies (their site seems to be down so I cannot download it)

Gunslingers Academy

Here is the second video in the series:https://youtu.be/fhBIKgorhQg

How do I embed?

JKG is...around, I don't know a whole lot about where to find a working download anymore

Gunslinger's Academy is still pretty decent, it has a ton of stuff that isn't in any JA mod (REAL akimbo, where you can have two different weapons, like a shotgun and a pistol)