Quake Freed: Call For Jedi Academy Content

quake-freed.jpg

Hi all,

I'm a masters student writing a book about the evolution of the First Person Shooter, its relationship with modders and hackers, and its relationship with open source software. These 3 topics intersect best with games by id Software, with the unfolding of the Doom and Quake series generally moving in tandem with the growth of the modding scene. I will be covering other games critical to the mod scene also, which brings me here.

Jedi Academy is probably THE most modded of the id Tech 3 games and this site is testament to its still lively community.

I'm looking for members of the community to suggest mods that they feel have had a strong inpact on the JA and JO community. (Can be your own mod don't be shy) Post them here or PM me.

I used to post on map-craft.com under the alias whitewolf so I have been floating around for a few years.

The book will be funded on kickstarter so I need all the support I can get. Please head on over to http://quakefreed.tumblr.com for updates or drop me an email at quake.freed@zoho.com and I'll let you know when the campaign kicks off.

Look forward to working with the community.

afi, Cerez and eezstreet like this

I'm looking for members of the community to suggest mods that they feel have had a strong inpact on the JA and JO community. (Can be your own mod don't be shy) Post them here or PM me.

Movie Battles is probably the biggest, most successful total conversion mod JA has ever had because it created its own pretty popular spin-off community. KOTF (Knights of the Force) was very popular as well but it was single-player only and a lot of people here frown at it because of plagiarism.

therfiles and Cerez like this

Ja+ is the most used multiplayer mod but it's impact on the community is questionable as it doesn't change much of the gameplay (except for making saber combat a bit worse). Most impact definitely Movie Battles as it got a completely different community than the rest of the game (pretty much like a new game).

quakefreed and Cerez like this

For JK2, I would say that the Jedi Academy Mod was significant. I don't have first hand knowledge, but reading some old posts on LucasForums tells me that this mod was responsible for the "honour rules" that's prevalent in both JK2 and JKA. Or at the very least made it much easier to enforce this kind of rule (making it more popular etc etc). I believe it's the mod from which other admin-based mods are made, including JA+ in JKA. If it weren't for the Jedi Academy Mod, it could be that free for alls would have been more popular. I'd say that's a pretty big game changer.

In JKA, I'll just repeat what others have said and say that Movie Battles II is probably the biggest mod and I would go so far as considering it a separate game in its own right if it were not a mod.

@Syko

Thanks, Movie Battle is definately one of the big ones.

@@eezstreet

The source release is the reason JA is eligable for the book.. but can you illuminate me as to what has actually been done with the source? I'm a bit in the dark.

@@Xycaleth

I'm afraid I'm not following. Are you considering Jedi Academy to be a 'mod' on Jedi Outcast?

Also here is the first review vid:

https://youtu.be/o2ghJhBvPi8

I disagree that JA+ had an impact. The community was already setup for the "honour rules" environment back in JK2. I would imagine the majority of people originally playing JKA migrated over from JK2. JA+ simply facilitated this rule in-place of the Jedi Academy Mod which was only made in JK2.

eezstreet likes this

JA+ has had the biggest adoption rate on servers by far. The extra animations it has introduced from base JKA served well to facilitate communication within the multiplayer world of the game (with an expanded emote system), as well as re-introducing some Star Wars related game features to multiplayer, such as the grapple hook, and the jetpack, and introducing some entirely new concepts, such as private duels in an FFA environment.

Movie Battles II has created an alternate, huge stream of outstanding creative modifications that aimed to expand on the character and world-set, create a new battle system, and create a Star Wars experience that was more true to the movies. A remarkable achievement as far as the modding community goes, and an impressive demonstration of the power of the community spirit within a single project.

The more niche role-playing community received a number of mods that aimed to make role-playing on JKA competitive servers possible with a new ruleset and RPG features. One of the most adopted ones of these mods has been the Lugormod. I have had the pleasure of being a part of a number of smaller role-playing communities that used the action-based MP game servers for story-telling and an entirely different gameplay than what the game was intended for.

Most recently, with the release of the JKA source code, the OpenJK project has given rise to a number of more advanced JKA modifications, and is likely expected to be the hub of a new era in JKA modding. It already is here on JKHub. It is an open source initiative to improve upon and expand on the original game while remaining true to its origins. It is a mother project and an outstanding base and resource to many.

Out of all these amazing community projects, I would say OpenJK will have the biggest impact, however, it does not yet rival the impact the Movie Battles II project has created, as it is still young in its development.

All that said, it is unfair to judge any of these projects above the other simply due to their widespread adoption rate and larger community impact. Every mod ever created for JKA has made a huge contribution to advancing the modding community and inspiring new talent, no matter how big or small. The magic of modding comes from each of us as individuals, and through the act of sharing we are contributing to an everlasting and ever-growing, inspiring community. As long as we are prepared to create and share, its spirit will live on. JKA and these mods mean something different to each and every one of us, and we do our share to contribute back to the source, and expand on its world, creating the community that has been, and that we know today.

Onysfx and quakefreed like this

If we're going for mods that catered to specific groups of the community, I'd put forward my own JK2 mod, "JK:JO Clan League Mod", or more commonly referred to as "League Mod". This was a mod inspired in part by CPMA and was made for the competitive community. As the full name suggests, it was made specifically for the JK:JO Clan League (also went by the name of Golden Hilt Championship) to allow keep tracking of damage done, kills, deaths, per match. It was the first of its kind in JK2.

Interestingly, I found out a few weeks ago that the guy who put forward the idea to me (his alias was "Disrepute") is fairly well known in the Quake Live community.

Interestingly, I found out a few weeks ago that the guy who put forward the idea to me (his alias was "Disrepute") is fairly well known in the Quake Live community.

I don't know why, but that alias rings a bell... :mellow:

Oh right, I guess I should have explained:

"Jedi Academy" Mod was a modification made by someone in Jedi Outcast: http://jediknight3.filefront.com/file/Jedi_Academy_Mod;11422 It was created by one of the members of The Jedi Academy community.

cHoSeN oNe :)  He also released another version for jk:ja called Jedi Academy Reloaded (later Jedi Academy Empire by Orion?), but he took out a lot of the commands such as slap and the emotes because they got spammed a lot in jk2.  I think that is a major reason it didn't do as well as JA+

Probably just repeating people, but to add support, I'd say the most influential and used mods/projects in JA were/are:

• Movie Battles II
  • JA+
  • OpenJK
  • Lugormod <- This probably doesn't get as much recognition as it deserves for adding/keeping people around this community.
Smoo, Onysfx and eezstreet like this

What about Makermod? I've just encountered some people online who are using nothing but Makermod to have fun with JKA.

The thing is, imagination is the limit, really. People create what they are inspired by. (In this case, creative worlds like Minecraft.)

I think the main reason JKA is so popular is because it is available for modding, allowing for a wide range of flexibility in its design, despite its old base technology. Most of that is thanks to having been built upon the flexible engine known as the Quake 3 engine, but some of it is thanks to Raven Software's organisation of JKA's resources and assets, and much of it is thanks to the community's efforts to keep the game and its development resources accessible.

The most popular mods are those that cater to people's widest -- not wildest! -- imaginations.

Onysfx and Smoo like this

I really don't think that mods like japlus or openJK are that influential for the playing community because they don't really change the gameplay and share more or less the same community. OpenJK is important for being a base for comming mods and for fixing bugs etc but 90% of the players won't care if ja+, ja++, openJK or base is installed on the server as long as the gameplay doesn't change too much.

Jango40 likes this