How to use a domain name to point to a dynamic IP?

As the title says, I have a domain name which I bought through someone.

I also managed to get past my ISP's shit and now can host JKA servers locally. Except that I have a dynamic IP and you can't really add it to favourites anywhere or put it on a website. So I'm looking for some pointers on how I can use my domain name for others to connect to my ever-changing IP. Would appreciate any help.

Hello stranger

I'm afraid that what you are seeking simply doesn't exist. You cannot point URL on a dynamic IP. Atleast I don't think it's possible, maybe some other people here on Hub could make me wrong.

I would recommend you to try contacting your internet host and try asking them if it would be possible to give you a static IP adress.

What you may be able to do is look into something like DynDNS, where you run a client on your computer (some routers also support it) which pings the DNS provider's site with your current IP details and updates the DNS records to point to your IP.

There used to be a few good free services for this, but most have become paid services.

You need a DNS provider that has support for updating records remotely. I use CloudFlare as my DNS provider for most things, and they support Dynamic DNS: https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200168816-Does-CloudFlare-work-with-Dynamic-DNS-Can-I-update-my-DNS-records-remotely-

Their free plan does all you need!

If you're on Linux, you can simply use the ddclient tool they offer to update your records. But if you're on Windows, you'll need to explore other options.

Here's an article regarding other methods: https://techjourney.net/update-cloudflare-as-dynamic-dns-ddns/ (Skip down to Method 5 for Windows)

I don't think you'll be able to add your server as a favourite in JKA though. If I recall correctly, JKA only supports saving IP addresses as favourites, not hostnames.

Smoo likes this
  • 2 weeks later...