It's super-annoying how many model-modders don't include icons for various skins. Is there any easy way to make them? I notice a great deal of icons have similar framing and backgrounds and was wondering if this was a feature included in one of the JK utilities.

Also: Seriously, people, make icons for your skins.

ModView comes with a little-known feature to create icons for all player skins, but I can't remember off the top of my head how you do it. Go through all of the menu items and see if there's anything that looks like it will create icons :P I'll have a look when I'm back at home if you're having problems finding it.

ModView comes with a little-known feature to create icons for all player skins, but I can't remember off the top of my head how you do it. Go through all of the menu items and see if there's anything that looks like it will create icons :P I'll have a look when I'm back at home if you're having problems finding it.

Really? I was only aware of the screenshot feature.  :huh:

Icons are just JPEG images that have to be 128 x 128 or 256 x 256 pixels. The only utility you need is an image editor. Even MS Paint would suffice. 

As far as icons go, you can find the default icon backgrounds plus more colors here:

https://jkhub.org/files/file/16-blank-icon-images/

The best way to make them in my opinion is to: 

• load the model in ModView
  • set the background as a bright green, creating a green screen effect
  • pose the model with whatever sequence you want
  • take a screenshot
  • Open in Photoshop or GIMP or even Paint, and use Color Select to select the green color and delete it
  • open the background image in a new window
  • copy and paste the model image on the background, resizing to fit
  • flatten image and save as icon_default.jpg
Link likes this
  • 3 weeks later...

Yep, @@Circa's spot-on with this one. I usually take a larger screenshot of the torso-head (bust) of a character, and then use the Polygonal Lasso Tool (with straight ends) in Photoshop to cut the character image I need, and then downsize it to the required size. But I'm a hopeless perfectionist... :P

@@Circa's method is more productive, and easier.

The reasons most people omit the extra skin icons are two:

1. The game only supports so many icons in the character selection screen.

2. It's a tedious process to create icons for every skin variant.

The advantage you have by creating your own icons for the character skins you've collected is that you can customise it anyway you like, but it does take work...

Actually, with the magic wand (Set to a tolerance of 1), you can get an exact model without any extra pixels or blur. This one took me 10 seconds, and most of that was minimizing windows and opening programs:

(The forum might scale it down, so click on it to see the full image)

mwoN4n5.png

Cerez likes this