Star Wars: Rogue One

Rogue One will deal with the theft of the Death Star plans, and the very first mission in Dark Forces was to steal those plans from the Imperial base on Danuta.

For what it's worth, I consider the whole DF saga (up to JK2) special because, first and foremost, Kyle is Kyle. Secondly, I especially like that in DF2 and MOTS Kyle and the Dark Jedi are depicted as the Jedi were in the Original Trilogy: normal human beings, with all of their weaknesses, that are capable of using various powers, not super-sonic Force abusing kids with the characterial depth of a puddle - and that's something that was lost, partially, in the Prequels, and totally in the last games.

Also, they came first ;)

Cerez likes this

@@Ping
Back in 1990s Dark Forces was an event similar to KOTOR in early 2000s or The Force Unleashed later. It was appraised by many critics and enjoyed by many fans, the game was the first in its kind for Star Wars.

Notably, it was also the first source to reveal, what was the first victory of Rebels, which is mentioned in Episode IV. The game covered probably a month before Battle of Yavin took place, and showed later events regarding the Dark Trooper project. Interesting, that the game introduced general Rom Mohc, who was a veteran of the Clone Wars - a conflict unexplored at that time.

So the game was very popular and was followed by many other stories, like Dark Forces II, Mysteries of the Sith and later JO and JA. There were also books and audio dramas, so much materials, that back those years only Shadows of the Empire could boast the same level of attention.

Since that day no one disputed, that DF series was an integral part of  Star Wars, showing a pivotal moment in the franchise. The conflict seem to rise now, when Rogue One would be covering the same operation like in DF1, but 99% differently. Above I wrote, that the new generation of fans wouldn't understand the coolness of DF1, so a new story is required. Kyle Katarn himself is not kind of hero the new people would like to see today. It's not bad, just a trend of today.

So I would agree with @@Ramikad, that DF is special for Star Wars. It's not some sort of forgotten novel or Holiday Special show. It's a narrative dramatic continuation of SW traditions, of what is truly great in the Galaxy.

That is why I voiced an opinion (which is being abrupted/insulted/denied (whatever)), that it doesn't matter, what legal documents say and whether copyright and royalties belong to one corporation or another (canon and no-canon). It never actually mattered. Facts are not a factor here. It's the vividness and vitality of a philosophy in Star Wars, not the corporate regulations, which do mean a lot for a Star Wars fan.

It is quite ironic, actually, with the release of the sequels to the original trilogy, that some of the content that was closest to the original trilogy would be wiped now and replaced with content for up-to-date audiences. I still find it almost impossible to believe that the creators would do such a thing, and such an action would prove absolutely no loyalty towards the long-time fans of Star Wars.

Jedi Academy is by far the worst title in the series. Dark Forces, when it came out, was an experience like no other. For the first time you were able to really walk through the world of Star Wars, and complete missions that were integral to the public, and feel like you were in a flesh and blood human body. Kyle Katarn was a handsome character who fit right in with the stories we know from the original trilogy, a mercenary of action and character. To this day, even with its pixellated graphics, Dark Forces provides some of the most authentic non-Jedi Star Wars action experience ever created in a Star Wars game, and the game is still highly enjoyable today, 20 years after its initial release!

I take it, seeing the early pre-production stage of the movie project, that we are going by rumours when we are talking about the Death Star plans mission being changed. I think it would be wise for us to wait until the storyline/synopsis is confirmed before we jump to wild conclusions. It may be possible that the story of Dark Forces will not be affected by the new movie's content, and that in fact the new Rogue One movie will only expand on the stories that we already know, and approach things from a different angle.

Who actually got the Death Star plans in the end is not so important as the actual, sophisticated operation that led to their possession, after all.

Unless I am mistaken, we don't know enough about the movie yet to say that the story of Kyle will truly be erased from canon. And even if it happens, don't give up on your project, @@DT85. There's still a large audience for it, despite the canon changes.

NumberWan likes this
  • 3 months later...

Topic merged with the Star Wars: Rogue One topic.

@

I'd hope it would feature the original stormtroopers, it takes place before Episode 4. :P

I like the dark theme that will surround this film. I'm really excited for that.

They got the rebel look perfect. Just a bunch of tough, random people ready to fight an empire.

And I'm really excited for Felicity Jones!  :D

therfiles likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a spoiler (and a rumour), that Rogue One has new helmets for some of the Imperial and Rebel forces.

Rogue-One-Helmets-via-Donni.png
Source - SWU.

Helmet on the right reminds me of the guys from Star Wars 1313.

Edited by therfiles
Put that sweet image in a spoiler tag, since it wasn't offically released
Langerd likes this

I think we should expect to see a movie that could be so different that one could guestion whether it's a starwars movie or just another sci-fi blockbuster.
Just seeing Donnie Yen in the photo with slightly asian looking costume (knowing that he's a MA expert) hints that this will be filled with wire stunts & explosions.

does this bother me?  no ,why? because StarWars has too little shoot and kill action scenes eventhough it's a violent story.  StarWars mainly focuses in the drama.
I think this could partly be the reason why there are so many BobaFett fans out there. StarWars has a lot of war and action written in the story, but that bottle is still uncorked.

• 3 weeks later...