Star Wars: Rogue One

Y'know, Disney's take on Star Wars seems more like hate-bait for the real fans out there the more I read into these things... Could just be me, though...

Aside from Disney, I think it's more of whoever's writing this shit that's at fault here, rather than the actor/actress delivering the lines. I've heard some of the same shit about Hayden Christensen when he played Anakin in the Prequels, along with people bashing George Lucas for his ideas behind the films, and one fan saw fit to sing "George Lucas raped my childhood" (look it up on YouTube), so it's not really anything new to me.

Personally, I loved Hayden's portrayal of Anakin. Maybe not quite so much in 'Attack of the Clones', but definitely in 'Revenge of the Sith'. Hayden's natural, on-screen personality was far better suited to him being (or becoming) a Dark Side character than a Light Side one. And honestly, George Lucas gets far.. Far too much unnecessary hate, for the Prequels. Even today, 'Revenge of the Sith' is still my favourite STAR WARS movie. People just like to needlessly bash the Prequels, just for the sheer hell of it. Non of the STAR WARS movies are perfect.. But then, what movie (STAR WARS or otherwise) is?!

Returning to Rogue One, maybe you wanna do some research on the actor in question, maybe wiki them, before you start bashing them.

What's gonna piss me off about the whole thing now, it's not the fact of which actress they choose. It's because there's all this friggin' equality and political correctness about the entire thing. Regardless of what I think of an actress or actor, that's irrelevant. It's the fact that they're now gonna release a STAR WARS movie, practically EVERY year. Disney essentially milking it for all it's worth. And now they'll be making pretty much every movie have some sort of "Mary-Sue" as the lead character. That wouldn't happen if George Lucas was still at the helm.

Y'know, it actually wouldn't surprise me if they started putting the LGBT community in their movies. It's like they're trying to appeal to every single person around the globe, so that it makes them feel "special" or "appreciated". Why not just stick to an original plan, instead of trying to include every "Tom, Dick and Harry" in there, just because of the state of the world, we live in, today. And even that makes me sick. So, the bigger picture is that acting ability and quality isn't the main cause for concern, here.

Oh no, not every person around the globe... They DID de-canonize the Expanded Universe after all, which I think costed them half the fanbase, which is why I feel like the whole thing is partly to spite George, if nothing else. Besides, from what I've seen of Ep. 7, it's more of a live-action anime than an actual movie (like I said in a previous thread), so I'm not expecting much from Rogue One in any case.

eezstreet likes this

It's funny how everyone suddenly starts throwing around that "Mary-Sue" term after Max Landis used it in his Youtube review for Force Awakens...

In all seriousness though, I understand finding it annoying that Disney is trying to push the whole equality thing. But I mean equality and equal representation in film is definitely a good thing. And they're not being too in-your-face or obtuse about it, in my opinion anyway. Not like a recent 2016 remake, which will remain nameless. And Star Wars is... well, it's Star Wars. It's like the biggest franchise in all of creation. Don't little girls, or black kids, or whoever deserve a chance to see someone like themselves as the star, and not just the love interest or charming side character? Isn't six movies about angsty young white guys enough, for whatever reason, political or not? As long as they're not retroactively turning Han Solo asian or something, is it really that big of a deal?

You can argue they're politicizing Star Wars, which annoys you because it's against your politics or because you think it shouldn't be politicized. But the thing is, your preferring the leads of these movies not being women is also a political statement, like it or not. You're probably not annoyed by the concept of pandering, so much as you're annoyed that you're not the one being pandered to in (I assume) one of your favorite franchises. Which is fine! In Hollywood's attempts to try and satisfy the whims of people demanding diversity, white guys are going to get lost in the shuffle. And if little girls and little black kids or whoever deserve to have heroes like themselves in their favorite movies, then so do white guys.

But blaming the actresses seems like a weird route to take.

EDIT: But to get back on topic, Rogue One looks alright. I liked the first trailer more than any of the other ones so far. That weird siren thing was reminiscent of the trailer for the original Alien movie. In fact that first Rogue One trailer was almost edited like a horror movie trailer. Which is appropriate. The government is about to build a super weapon that can blast whole planets worth of people out of space. If that ain't horrifying then what is? But some of the dialogue in the latest trailer is definitely kind of cheesy. And I'm worried about someone taking up the mantle that John Williams is stepping down from. Plus that line from the droid about "there is a 96% chance of failure" or whatever it said makes me think they might still be leaning too hard on the whole nostalgia/references angle, like Force Awakens was. All the fan-service stuff in that movie is definitely the worst part of it in my eyes.

DarthDementous likes this

But I mean equality and equal representation in film is definitely a good thing. And they're not being too in-your-face or obtuse about it, in my opinion anyway. Not like a recent 2016 remake, which will remain nameless. And Star Wars is... well, it's Star Wars. It's like the biggest franchise in all of creation. Don't little girls, or black kids, or whoever deserve a chance to see someone like themselves as the star, and not just the love interest or charming side character? Isn't six movies about angsty young white guys enough, for whatever reason, political or not? As long as they're not retroactively turning Han Solo asian or something, is it really that big of a deal?

I heavily disagree with what you said. Even though what you're saying is what many people find 'politically correct', I find it incredibly racist since you imply that minorities and women can't feel connected to the main character just because of their skin color. I've said many times that I'm hispanic and from a third world country, and all my life I've seen people from many different skin colors that have wanted to be superman, spider-man, luke skywalker and even anakin, none of them have ever cared about their skin color. Even more, when people dress up at halloween or other events, I've seen thousands of little kids dressed as spider-man, noone cares that they aren't white, only white liberals seem to make a big deal about that. 

We don't need token black, hispanic or women character, people only care if their struggles and motivations are good enough to feel connected to them. I'm really looking forward to Rogue One, much more than The Force Awakens, since at least I haven't read about the director complaining that the original movies were 'too white', or that their movie is good just for the fact that most rebels are minorities. 

Let's try and keep identity politics out of this thread, please.

I for one think that Disney has taken the right approach with Star Wars aside from the clear oversaturation. Star Wars under Lucas was stagnating and the EU was getting out of control with insane spin-offs. Killing off the EU and replacing it with new lore is something painful, but it needed to be done.

I haven't been paying too much attention to Rogue One ever since they made the decision to make it a panel movie instead of taking risks.

Noodle and hleV like this

The other way around is much better, all of the EU are myths untill they are not (see Thrawn, for example). 

The problem with that statement is, without the Jedi Knight games (which are set in the EU), we wouldn't even have JKHub, let alone all the mods we have for Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. (Ex: MB2, JA++, and Lugormod)

Darth Sion and kharg like this

The problem with that statement is, without the Jedi Knight games (which are set in the EU), we wouldn't even have JKHub, let alone all the mods we have for Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. (Ex: MB2, JA++, and Lugormod)

But nothing changes the fact that the Jedi Knight games do exist, and so does the EU. The only difference now is related to continuity, not the quality or quantity of the stories told. 

They could've just said that some of the stories in the EU were myths, instead of killing it off entirely, but I guess the damage is already done.

That's exactly what they've done. They refer to the EU as "Legends" which is basically the equivalent of "myth" - plus what Noodle said above, they're myths until they're stated as truth.

I also agree with what eez said. I've read a decent portion of the EU growing up. Though there are some gold stories in there, there's some insane stuff that happens. No quality control was done, and everyone assumed if it was in writing, then it was canon. It was a mess.

They're not saying "oh pretend the EU doesn't exist" - they're just saying that none of it is "official" until they say so.

Also, stop blaming Disney for this decision. It was Lucasfilm's decision. They have a group dedicated to determining canon. Not Disney.

-----------

Anyway, I'm pumped for Rogue One. Tickets are up for sale! :)

That's exactly what they've done. They refer to the EU as "Legends" which is basically the equivalent of "myth" - plus what Noodle said above, they're myths until they're stated as truth.

I also agree with what eez said. I've read a decent portion of the EU growing up. Though there are some gold stories in there, there's some insane stuff that happens. No quality control was done, and everyone assumed if it was in writing, then it was canon. It was a mess.

They're not saying "oh pretend the EU doesn't exist" - they're just saying that none of it is "official" until they say so.

Also, stop blaming Disney for this decision. It was Lucasfilm's decision. They have a group dedicated to determining canon. Not Disney.

-----------

Anyway, I'm pumped for Rogue One. Tickets are up for sale! :)

I got my ticket, last Thursday. Seeing it in 3D on the 15th Dec. Then going again on the 16th. Would've preferred them to have gone with the Kyle/Jan stealing the Death Star plans storyline than this unknown Jyn Erso plot. The whole Jedha thing should be interesting, though. Although I'm fully on the side of the Empire ("Destroy the Rebel scum!"), I can see Jyn and her band of Rebels not making it out alive.. Which is essentially the way it needs to go, considering where it ends and where 'A New Hope' starts. Hopefully, I wanna see Vader being the ruthless, sinister, evil walking badass of death, we've read and know him to be.. Although, somehow I don't think that's how it's gonna happen. It's supposed to be a "dark" film, how dark, though.. is unknown. But I think they kinda' need to do something to appease fan-fare.

I got my ticket, last Thursday. Seeing it in 3D on the 15th Dec. Then going again on the 16th. Would've preferred them to have gone with the Kyle/Jan stealing the Death Star plans storyline than this unknown Jyn Erso plot. The whole Jedha thing should be interesting, though. Although I'm fully on the side of the Empire ("Destroy the Rebel scum!"), I can see Jyn and her band of Rebels not making it out alive.. Which is essentially the way it needs to go, considering where it ends and where 'A New Hope' starts. Hopefully, I wanna see Vader being the ruthless, sinister, evil walking badass of death, we've read and know him to be.. Although, somehow I don't think that's how it's gonna happen. It's supposed to be a "dark" film, how dark, though.. is unknown. But I think they kinda' need to do something to appease fan-fare.

The thing I like about the new canon is that vader isn't a chump that can get beaten by a bunch of padawans anymore. I hope we get something similar to the Vader Down comic.

fWJ91hX.png

Darth Sion likes this

With regards to the EU purge, I'm really only disappointed by the loss of Kyle Katarn. He's basically Han Solo with a lightsaber, which is a refreshing change of pace from the typical Jedi characters. Overall though, I don't care much about Disney ditching the EU because I haven't read most of it.

The only thing I'm concerned about with Disney's take on Star Wars is all the reference/nostalgia stuff. I liked Force Awakens but man did all the references drive me nuts. We'll see with this one if they continue all that or not. But the fact that they decided to make their next movie some kind of prequel revolving around the Death Star (again!) makes me skeptical. The cynical old man in me makes me think they only chose to do this story because it would give them an excuse to have classic Star Wars stuff to tingle those sweet nostalgia centers in our brains. Stuff like Darth Vader, Mon Mothma, the Death Star, Star Destroyers, X-wings, TIE fighters, Rebels vs Empire, AT-ATs, Stormtroopers, etc. It looks slick and exciting, and I'm sure it will be enjoyable, but I don't think it will really add all that much to the Star Wars universe.

NumberWan likes this