Star Wars: Rogue One

I feel like I'm pretty alone on the fact that this trailer is pretty eh. It looks a lot like a fan film which is sort of a letdown. Nitpick wise the effects look pretty poor (The AT-AT shot especially) and the Stormtrooper outfits look..off. I feel like the inclusion of a female protagonist feels almost forced in a way. Maybe its just her role as some kind of soldier bad ass (or whatever her character is) but it just doesn't seem too realistic to me and weakens the character, not so much a problem just a gripe. I have nothing against female protagonists, Sarah Connor and Ellen Ripley are some of my favorite characters in film and Rey in the Force Awakens was pulled off great but this just seems like some kind of gimmick to satisfy a certain group of people (which it just might be) I can't quite conjure up the right words about it right now lol. Maybe I was just really hoping to see a Kyle Katarn sorta character in this movie but obviously that was pretty unlikely. My opinion at the moment is only based from seeing the trailer and there is only so much you can get from a two minute video, I am sure I will see this movie opening night and enjoy it while completely forgetting about the mediocre trailer from months before. 

VFX shots are the last things to be polished in the movie and considering its 8 months from release its highly likely the effects will be tightened. just look at some of the shots in the first Force Awakens teaser (particularly the Kylo Ren ignition) and compare them to their film representations.

you've heard 3 lines from this character, seen her in about 4 scenes. that's practically nothing to go on in regards to what her character is. you've also seen even less of the other characters, perhaps Cassian Willix (that and Jyn Erso are the only names reported) will share more than just the look of Kyle Katarn.

your last comment holds very true in my personal experience. I remember being apart of intense speculation of every little detail in the Force Awaken's trailers and watching pretty much all the people that thought the BB8 and Kylo Ren saber design was dumb turn around with a new-found appreciation once they understood the context. even though it seems like an issue now, the CGI of the AT-ATs won't even be an afterthought when we all go to see Rogue One in theatres.

eezstreet likes this

Maybe its just her role as some kind of soldier bad ass (or whatever her character is) but it just doesn't seem too realistic to me and weakens the character, not so much a problem just a gripe. 

Since when a movie with space samurai wizards like Star Wars is realistic? 

GLTh3Pr0 likes this

With this trailer, it's clear, that the secrecy around Rogue One is somehow more harsh than with Episode VII. I've been monitoring the news, and usually it's something about the Saga films, with only 2-3 news about the Anthology. No photos, Nothing specific.

And with the appearance of Mon Mothma, I wonder, whether the Emperor will also be in the film. They might not invite some actors to reprise the role for 100%, but the Emperor in live action without Ian McDiarmid is not the Emperor for me. Having looked through his filmography, I can see, that he voiced the character for a minor SW animated show in 2015 – Star Wars: The Idiotic Clone Trooper. Nothing else.

We can see, he isn't involved in any other projects, but in case or Mr. McDiarmid it's difficult to guess, as he is far more involved in theatre, not filming or television. O'Reilly had been participating only in one TV series, as it seemed before Rogue One trailer was released. So if he is in the movie, it would be superb.

therfiles likes this

newhope2eafg.jpg

After the Rogue One trailer, I watched some NewHope scenes and noticed this guy. And honest, I've never noticed him before, but ofcourse now I find him interesting because Rogue One is set before the events of NewHope and that imperial admiral dressed in white is a total mystery to me.  Maybe this is the same character? That would be a really cool way to connect these movies :)

newhope2eafg.jpg

After the Rogue One trailer, I watched some NewHope scenes and noticed this guy. And honest, I've never noticed him before, but ofcourse now I find him interesting because Rogue One is set before the events of NewHope and that imperial admiral dressed in white is a total mystery to me.  Maybe this is the same character? That would be a really cool way to connect these movies :)

That's admiral Yularen. Funny is that he and Anakin worked together in the Clone Wars.

NumberWan likes this

I know, right. Atleast  I'm expecting him to be announced as an Admiral officially, but sure i could be wrong.
I'm also hoping to see some connections between Rogue One and Rebels. They're side by side in the StarWars timeline. Like what if we hear Hera's name mentioned or some talk about a surviving Jedi (Kanan) because if you compare Rebels and NewHope, it's clear that Rogue One is set in the world of Rebels where the Jedi are long gone and nobody knows about Obi-Wan or Luke (who's probably playing with miniature xwings) y'know somekind of connection between the movie and the animated serie would be cool.

I know, right. Atleast  I'm expecting him to be announced as an Admiral officially, but sure i could be wrong.

I'm also hoping to see some connections between Rogue One and Rebels. They're side by side in the StarWars timeline. Like what if we hear Hera's name mentioned or some talk about a surviving Jedi (Kanan) because if you compare Rebels and NewHope, it's clear that Rogue One is set in the world of Rebels where the Jedi are long gone and nobody knows about Obi-Wan or Luke (who's probably playing with miniature xwings) y'know somekind of connection between the movie and the animated serie would be cool.

According to Pablo Hidalgo there will be. Also in the next season the rebels will look a lot more similar to the RO/ANH ones

NumberWan and z3filus like this
  • 2 weeks later...

I am surprised how Jedi Knight(and Star Wars in general) fans are brainwashed by Disney. I understand when non Star Wars fans like new movies but not when fans like these. Why do people "swallow" what Disney do? Do you really want Disney to put Kyle and Jan in their movies? Like seriously? I'm glad they imagine new characters so they don't ruin real canon. Disney ruined canon that was built through the years just to create weak copy of it. I just watched new trailer. Next movie that doesn't look like Star Wars and people are happy - mind blown. I don't need Disney love and I don't care what they say. Their changes to Star Wars are not canon for me. Hate me but thats what I think about it.

PS: It's not Jan, she is asian

Janandboc.jpg

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

@@Grab

I think most people on this forum are big fans of Kyle Katarn and treat his presence in great respect no matter what of Star Wars legacy he is now. I believe he is still the one, who stole the Death Star plans. And like before, I reaffirm, that even if Rogue One shows otherwise, no one cancelled the good old retcon: that Kyle stole the major plans for the Death Star, while the new agent by the name of Jyn Orso was tasked with acquiring the second/third part or other schematics for DS, important to understand the whole plan of this super weapon.

Few things can truly cancel the wonderful Dark Forces II either. Jerec as an Inquisitor looks like a perfect Star Wars villain, so it is a matter of vividness and convincing, something where at least most notable EU stories have never had issues with.

As for Rogue One, there is one clear thing, which we might not like, but it retells the story of the already known fact (Death Star Plans acquisition) in liaison with modern trends. I am not speaking about the female lead, as it's been discussed more than once now, I am more about designs, events, type of verbal and morale messaging, certain values. As much as I like Dark Forces, the younger audience would understand it, even if you show them the whole story and explain it (though I would like to try).

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

An interesting article about the most discussed matter of these days – the Death Star Plans. It covers all the events from the previous sources, which involve the plans of the Death Star, it's recovery by different people and later transmission to Princess Leia. Personally I like the idea, that such a complicated death machine couldn't be just a mere box, that Kyle found on Danuta.

Yes, count Dooku got a simple hologram disc with DS from Poggle the Lesser, but at that time the scheme was most likely the initial design. Surely it was changed and reworked to fit the Imperials better. But we can assume different people got all the details from various sources.

Even with Rogue One explaining, how the plans were uncovered, it doesn't mean there is no place for others like Katarn. :)

So there is a big revelation about Rogue One, which you can read right here.
It includes the names of the characters, ships and some other stuff. Interestingly, that the previous promo-posters didn't show the other two members of the team, which can now be seen on the pictures through the link ≠ two aliens. 

We already know Jyn Orso, but her companion, which was assumed by some to be Kyle Katarn nod, is Captain Cassian Andor.
1439939597185.jpg

The Imperial in white cloak is Director Krennic, while other Rebels are Baze (Red Armor), Bodhi Rook (in goggles), Pao and Chirrut (the Donnie Yen character).

We also see several classic ships and some new: TIE striker for the Empire, Rebel Starfighter ship (new mix between A-Wing and X-wing, perhaps called the U-Wing) and AT-ACT (basically At-AT, but with a slightly different function).

Another companion is the K-250 Droid Enforcer, which originally works for the Empire. This droid is large and has some details, which look like those of a stormtrooper. At some point he must have been reprogrammed to serve the Rebels, but before that he is guarding the Imperial plans...

This Droid reminds me of Dark Trooper Project, with its form close to Phase I killing machine.

Also two aliens, one seems to be green, not very humanoid, while the other one is like Ewok/Drall mercenary. I wish he was really a drall!

Darth Vader is confirmed to appear, though his scenes are top-secret right now.

How do people mange to even get a hold of spoilers won't they get in trouble by Lucasfilm and DIsney for copyrights?. Those TIES look like the Mark VI Sith Starfighter  from the Old Republic.The U-wing is based on concept art I bet. Is Vader going to fight off these agents or is he one of those characters in a movie were they appear to give orders to Imperial Officers while hes off hunting Jedi or doing some other thing for Palpatine.

An interesting article about the most discussed matter of these days – the Death Star Plans. It covers all the events from the previous sources, which involve the plans of the Death Star, it's recovery by different people and later transmission to Princess Leia. Personally I like the idea, that such a complicated death machine couldn't be just a mere box, that Kyle found on Danuta.

Yes, count Dooku got a simple hologram disc with DS from Poggle the Lesser, but at that time the scheme was most likely the initial design. Surely it was changed and reworked to fit the Imperials better. But we can assume different people got all the details from various sources.

Even with Rogue One explaining, how the plans were uncovered, it doesn't mean there is no place for others like Katarn. :)

Ohhhhh dude, ​NONE shall ever replace Kyle Katarn. :D

@

That was a spoiler.  :P

I never said anything could replace him, but I can't ignore the similarities. Whether they are intentional or not, there is still a lot in common with the old EU. However given all the leaks we've got about R1 now, the story of Kyle is still quite true nonetheless.

Here are a few pictures.

rogueoneleak120395803584930185.jpg

rogueoneleak220395803584930185.jpg

rogz6(1).jpg

rogz7.jpg

rogz9.jpg

rogz1.jpg

rogz2.jpg

rogz3.jpg

@

That was a spoiler.  :P

I never said anything could replace him, but I can't ignore the similarities. Whether they are intentional or not, there is still a lot in common with the old EU. However given all the leaks we've got about R1 now, the story of Kyle is still quite true nonetheless.

Here are a few pictures.

rogueoneleak120395803584930185.jpg

rogueoneleak220395803584930185.jpg

rogz6(1).jpg

rogz7.jpg

rogz9.jpg

rogz1.jpg

rogz2.jpg

rogz3.jpg

I know you didn't say that, dude. I was actually agreeing with you that no matter what, Kyle has a place that NO ONE ELSE can fill. And I saw those photos. Not too bad, if I must say.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the latest rumour is:

DISNEY EXECS UNHAPPY WITH ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY SO FAR.

It seems some scenes will be reshoot, including those with Donnie Yen. more here.

If we remember the time, when TFA was almost complete, something similar also happened. I hope, the changes to the film won't remove characters and scenes, which should be in the film and would be of joy to fans.