New Canon Star Wars character

I don't think "girl on girl" or sex at all belongs in Star Wars. That's just my two cents. Hopefully the writer does this tactfully and make her a character who just happens to be lesbian, and not "the" lesbian.

Agreed, and I don't see how a lesbian woman gets that far in the already established humanocentric chauvinist empire, but it's all apart of Disney's retcons I guess.

Agreed, and I don't see how a lesbian woman gets that far in the already established humanocentric chauvinist empire, but it's all apart of Disney's retcons I guess.

You're right. The Imperial fleet is meant to be analagous to the Nazis - right down to the Stormtroopers. The sleek black outfits of the Imperial officers has a similar look to the SS, and Darth Vader's cape is an obvious nod to Hitler, who is well-known to wear a black cape. The weapons used as bases for the props make this even more obvious. Why do you think they chose a Mauser C96 for the DL-44? ;)

It therefore seems strange to put a woman in this role. I'm all about female empowerment, but it's jeopardizing the original point of The Empire.

Rick, Jeff and Circa like this

You're right. The Imperial fleet is meant to be analagous to the Nazis - right down to the Stormtroopers. The sleek black outfits of the Imperial officers has a similar look to the SS, and Darth Vader's cape is an obvious nod to Hitler, who is well-known to wear a black cape. The weapons used as bases for the props make this even more obvious. Why do you think they chose a Mauser C96 for the DL-44? ;)

It therefore seems strange to put a woman in this role. I'm all about female empowerment, but it's jeopardizing the original point of The Empire.

Yeah, agreed. If they wanted a woman in power, they already have Leia and could put more leading women in there, but the Empire as you said was literally made as the Nazis of Star Wars. What's next? A movie set in WW2 where Hitler secretly likes the jews?  :rolleyes:

Hopefully the writer does this tactfully and make her a character who just happens to be lesbian, and not "the" lesbian.

This.

The Disney retcons have kept the humanocentric elements of the Empire, but seem to favour a more gender-neutral approach. Female stormtroopers appear in the new Tarkin novel, and to be honest this strikes me as more believable. Who cares if your comrade in arms has boobs when you're worried about keeping the blue tentacled alien out of the barracks?

I could care less about who's behind the armor. The problem is that we're not meant to care. They're soulless, power-armored badasses who take orders from none but the Empire, a cold and robotic machine by nature. I'll spare my judgment about Disney's retcons and changes until the actual film releases. We all know how tacky Star Wars novelists in particular can be.

NumberWan likes this
  • 1 month later...