Free Web Hosting Shutdown

Circa

Posted Image

NOTICE: JKHub is not shutting down. Please keep that in mind before spreading rumors and assuming things. And please read everything below.

As most of you know, JKHub has been offering free web hosting to the JKA community for a few years now. The intention was to help out new and old clans, mod teams, and others to create a center for their activities. Unfortunately, this offer hasn't been as beneficial as we had hoped. I'll try to describe what's going on as best I can, in FAQ style.

Why the shutdown?
There are multiple reasons for the shutdown. Here are the main points:
  • JKHub staff doesn't have the man-power or technical resources to actually maintain the service fully anymore.
  • In relation to that, it takes an abundance of the time that we actually have, complete with maintenance and issues that arise, setting up accounts, etc.
  • It's expensive. We offer it free because if we didn't, there would be no point in offering it at all, but in turn, these issues above just aren't worth it.
What is happening to the existing accounts?
We understand any frustration this may cause the existing account owners, and we promise our intentions aren't to screw you over. We provided you free hosting for a few years, and we hope the service was satisfactory.

Basically, all accounts will be given a month to figure out what they are going to do. You can receive a backup of your site, and move to a new host, or you can do nothing and let it be deleted. We will offer to help you out with moving your site to a new host if you like. You will need to be in contact with us regarding that. Otherwise we will assume you know what you're doing.

Where can I find a new host? What do you recommend?
There are plenty of great hosts out there, and for all the sites we currently host now, almost any of them would be suitable. Google is your friend.

However, if you want to make this entire process as easy as possible, our good friend Caelum agreed to give a discount to sites we host. Every current JKHub hosted site will be able to move to his hosting for €5,50/month, which will keep you on the same server, with the same hosting you already had, and no need to move or do anything technical. It's a good deal, and for the convenience of doing nothing but paying for the service, it would be hard to pass that up. If you're interested in Caelum's hosting, click below or PM Caelum.

Posted Image

Do I get to keep my domain name?
If you had your own domain, yes.
If you were using a subdomain of jkhub.org (e.g. circa.jkhub.org), then you will also be able to keep it. You will need to work with us on setting that up for you by getting the IP address for the new host that you end up with. This is for existing accounts only. Do not ask for a subdomain if you don't already have an account. If you sign up for Caelum's hosting, you will automatically get to keep your domain.

When does all this happen?
Like I said, you get one month starting today to get everything figured out. After that, we will be deleting all accounts. You will be notified by email a week before that happens. An email with this article will be sent to all account holders today as well. We want this to be as painless as possible for you guys.

Again, sorry for the huge convenience this will cause. Remember to contact us regarding any help you need or anything of that sort. Send an email to contact@JKHub.org, click the grey button above, or PM/email me.

Click here to view the article

This sucks, but I knew it was coming. Nevertheless thank you anyways for offering it for the time you did.

However, as for me this means I am out of luck though since I can't exactly fork out money I don't have. Maybe in the future though.

I'm backing up my stuff as I read this. Sorry you guys were forced to do this.

I must ask, what am I going to do? What good free hosts are out there? I need one that won't drop me for sneezing.

Merek, you could try Digital Ocean if you want something you can scale up/down easily. You can get $100 of free platform credit from the github education pack, too. 

I can't even afford $5/month. I don't have a job and I'm still in High School. 

That's a shame, but fully understandable. I'm surprised you guys kept it running for this long due to how much time it took up/money it cost, thank you for all these years of hosting those sites :)

How many sites do you host by the way?

Circa likes this

What about the free in-game url redirect service like de.jk3.in is that another service going also?

jk3.in is unaffected by this change.

Right, none of our other services are changing. Good question.

Domain names are pretty cheap honestly.  Just googling alone think see some for price of a year like 4 bucks.  That's like what, a bag of chips price for a little url name for a whole year?  Not exactly that inconvinencing to anyone.  Also there is already plenty of other free alternative ways as it is.  Hell even a simple url shortening would work.  I don't see why anyone should really scream like the house is burning down.

http://www.freedomain.co.nr/

http://www.zifboards.com/

https://www.proboards.com/

http://www.prophpbb.com/

http://www.forumotion.com/

http://tinyurl.com/

This seriously only takes about 5 seconds for anyone to google.

Xeby likes this

I must ask, what am I going to do? What good free hosts are out there? I need one that won't drop me for sneezing.

WordPress.com hosts WordPress-powered sites for free, and they keep the software up-to-date all the time because they develop it. You don't get file hosting on there though, but you can use Dropbox/OneDrive/etc. for that. Also, I don't think they support any forum plugin on their service if you need that.

Domain names are pretty cheap honestly.  Also there is already plenty of other free alternative ways as it is.  Hell even a simple url shortening would work.  I don't see why anyone should really scream like the house is burning down.

Stahp. JKHub are shutting down their web hosting, not domain names. This means all their current users that have their websites and files stored on JKHub's servers will need to find a new hosting provider to take care of this now, migrate all their stuff across, and reconfigure all their software setup.

Web Hosting ≠ Domain Registrar ≠ DNS Provider

URL shortening would do no good to anyone here, because they'd not have any hosting provider to point their shortened links to. The reliability and security of many free web hosting providers out there is notoriously bad.

Circa and eezstreet like this

WordPress.com hosts WordPress-powered sites for free, and they keep the software up-to-date all the time because they develop it. You don't get file hosting on there though, but you can use Dropbox/OneDrive/etc. for that. Also, I don't think they support any forum plugin on their service if you need that.

Stahp. JKHub are shutting down their web hosting, not domain names. This means all their current users that have their websites and files stored on JKHub's servers will need to find a new hosting provider to take care of this now, migrate all their stuff across, and reconfigure all their software setup.

Web Hosting ≠ Domain Registrar ≠ DNS Provider

URL shortening would do no good to anyone here, because they'd not have any hosting provider to point their shortened links to. The reliability and security of many free web hosting providers out there is notoriously bad.

My general view on the matter is more in line with the fact that, every jk site that has come up and became a hotspot has gone down and we've lost a ton of files through the years in regards to that.  It has absolutely nothing to do with what jkhub does or does not host or what they wish to change up from time to time.  I was not trying to say specificly if it was domain names that went down, website hosting, etc let alone mislead anyone with information, afterall takes 5 seconds to look up at the start of the topic and read the initial post to know what is going on for anyone who comes into this post.  I'm more so posting in line with making people aware of alternatives options of some sort and being more self reliant in some regards to more realms of information rather than over reliance on jkhub to take care of every single little thing.  If people want to complain or use any service whatever that jkhub posts out they are free to do so and I say go for it.  I'm simply posting and putting information up in case people are not aware of other options.

URL shortening wont hurt a single thing.  You can simply shorten the URL of your forums to the size of a simple and standard website link, be just as effective on a bot in a server honestly and it wouldn't hurt anything anyway.  But no one has to do it, again it was just an option.

You get what you pay for, like Lunix.  Free hosting like any other systems are only as secure, not just in line with the hosters/providers/developers, but also the capability of the person utilizing said things.  If free hosts are so terrible/bad then NO one would be using them.  I still keep old clan I was in years ago forums still up, hosted completely free, and it still works perfectly fine.  I honestly expect also even free forum providers keep what they can up to date as much as, what you posted, wordpress does.  I don't see free hosters or whatever not keeping some kinda system up to date because of the amount of personal information that would be compromised, on top of mixture of the paid services they potentially offer as well as ads/ad removal options and so forth.  Not to mention the free forum hosters use software that is also free that you can download and get a paid hoster to setup/use also so honestly it's as free as you want it to be.  Either way, back on topic.

Guys, I'm NOT looking to start another website on a site I have no control over like Proboards, Forumotion, Wordpress, Etc. Been there, done that. Didn't work out.

I'm looking to upload my current website elsewhere and maybe using the subdomain jkhub currently provides me (because JKHub explained that was one thing that would not be affected)

I do not have any form of income so this leaves me completely screwed. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guys, I'm NOT looking to start another website on a site I have no control over like Proboards, Forumotion, Wordpress, Etc. Been there, done that. Didn't work out.

I'm looking to upload my current website elsewhere and maybe using the subdomain jkhub currently provides me (because JKHub explained that was one thing that would not be affected)

I do not have any form of income so this leaves me completely screwed. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

There's always 000webhost...hehe