[MAP Request] Hogwarts

• 6 months later...

This would be lovely indeed. It's a really huge project though, and there's the danger of getting a Cease & Desist, which would render all the work void.

If I were any good at art I might have still tried this, but alas only the code is strong in me. And you'd probably need seamless portals à la Prey/Portal to get the non-euclidean geometry right, at which point this would turn into a full-blown mod.

And permission. Which we won't get. Hence no porting.

Hence why I said it would need entirely new textures to be accepted. Duh. I don't think anyone would have the time to make a complete Hogwarts map from scratch. Heck if anyone can then good luck to them releasing that in 2030.

Porting a model and changing its textures wouldn't qualify as fair use in my opinion.

Agreed it would at least require some form of credit to the original game the port came from. I could try working on new textures though, IF a map were to be ported.

You can still be sued to hell and back, and they'd probably win. Using a foreign IP is bad enough, straight up stealing their assets is just plain stupid imho.

The same can be said for every thing which is ported. Heck it's better than not making it at all, right?

Someone attempted this for Enemy Territory years ago, but abandoned it (and left behind source files). My guess is you would need to take some creative liberties to make the outside more vis friendly and cut down on the size to avoid the problems that made the author quit, but the files could be useful for reference (or even using parts wholesale while crediting the author):
Download link is in the last post in the thread http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/30477-Hogwarts/page7?highlight=hogwarts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 9/5/2015 at 8:02 AM, Daedra said:

Might actually get away with porting the map of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone Playstation 1 hogwarts map since it's pretty low-res and would need new textures anyway. So it's perfect, all we need is someone to get it and convert.

On 9/5/2015 at 10:29 AM, Daedra said:

Agreed it would at least require some form of credit to the original game the port came from. I could try working on new textures though, IF a map were to be ported.

5 years later, your savior has arrived.

I actually have the maps from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. The entry hall, the outdoors, the staircase. All they need are porting into Radiant and fixed together, then of course textures.

I have zero mapping experience so I'm probably not the best man for the job, but I can at least hook you all up with the original maps in obj format along with the OG textures so you can use them for inspiration.

Smoo and RJA like this