Hugo's educational jka series (idea pitch)

Hugo's jk3training series  

18 members have voted

1. 1. How much would you be willing to pay per month?

• up to 5 euro
    • up to 10 euro
    • up to 50 euro
    • more than 50 euro
    • I am not interested
  2. 2. How many of you are seriously interested?

• I will pay for this.
    • I am not interested.

This poll is closed to new votes

To keep it short. I'm sitting on a pile of experience, connections and knowledge regarding jedi academy. Which, honestly I've never properly presented to be very useful. I made this once: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/74-terminative-3-education-centre-demo-pack/ But that's outdated and not very accessible. I however, am in my mid 20's now and can't afford to dedicate a lot of time into creating a proper video series, or a book, or guides for people that want to get into jedi academy and for people that want to understand the game better. Or do weekly streaming sessions (I used to teach people at least three times a week, three - five hour sessions over mumble, for about three years).

So I thought, let's see how many people would want to chip in for a professional jedi academy educational video series using either https://www.patreon.com to monthly support it per product, or use https://www.udemy.com and one-time purchase a series (not preferred). I'm purely posting this to see how many replies I can get. I'd be willing to spend 1 - 2 days a week doing this properly, if I can get around 100 - 200 euros a month in support. I will also use a part of the budget to give to people I consult (#jacoders for example) or a community server / media assets I need to buy.

Now, I'm not sure if there is any interest at all. I know this audience. I know some of you work, most of you are young, some of you are students. Also, some of you do not care or think there isn't anything new to learn, see or value. I agree, it needs a proof of concept first. But, before I do this and possibly create a patreon page. I would like to poll how much interest there is at all.

Keep in mind by the way, that since I was young and organised the Terminative 3 thing. I have studied to be a private editor / film montage for a year, got my certificate. I've also got a diploma and real life experience + years of ingame experience with teaching people and educational theory methods. I can be very effective, and 100% understand that gaming is about training habits, not so much spreading 'knowledge'. I think I can provide something interesting, that would benefit more people than just me. Also once and for all possibly change the knowledge base that most players are still working with in different communities.

So, I created a poll. Please vote. All I'll do is look at the results, and then see if I care enough to put effort into it in the upcoming 6 months.

therfiles likes this

Would never pay for anything even remotely resembling a video series for jka sabering. If someone is desperate for personal training, he can get it for free just by PM'ing the right people on this page, and that on its own is a vastly superior form of learning the game than by watching a video. For everyone else there are demos and tutorials already freely available on the net. Of course a well-made video series would be superior to merely watching demos, but not superior enough to warrant shelling out money for it - especially considering that personal training is far more effective, so that in the end, spending money on a really good player showing you the ropes is a far better investment. But an interested person wouldn't even have to go that far, seeing as so many people (even if they were to be inferior players) would be very happy to help out for free.

sydow, Xanemus and Tx606 like this

Would never pay for anything even remotely resembling a video series for jka sabering. If someone is desperate for personal training, he can get it for free just by PM'ing the right people on this page, and that on its own is a vastly superior form of learning the game than by watching a video. For everyone else there are demos and tutorials already freely available on the net. Of course a well-made video series would be superior to merely watching demos, but not superior enough to warrant shelling out money for it - especially considering that personal training is far more effective, so that in the end, spending money on a really good player showing you the ropes is a far better investment. But an interested person wouldn't even have to go that far, seeing as so many people (even if they were to be inferior players) would be very happy to help out for free.

You could have also just said: "not interested". The point of patreon is that with enough people paying a small amount, you can make things happen. A video series might not be ideal. But, if you are willing to support it with like a euro or two a month, and enough people do so. Then it can be made reality and serious time can be put into it. Which is a whole lot better than having to digg through tutorials on the web, connecting with people who aren't motivated to coach you or people who will charge you a lot more. That's why this is an option and why I put it forward :)

Not meant to be offensive. But I think you are a little ill-educated on how media can be used to train people.

You seem to be one of the persons who could maybe be convinced with a proof of concept, that's fair :)

shake will 100/100 anyone until they learn how to saber

You mean the same shake that I got on my skype list because he's been asking me how jka works? okay ....

for the low low price of absolutely free

Free is nice. Have been doing that for the most part of the past 12 years. A lot more structured and with research than is probably hard to imagine for most of the people reading this. But besides that, try to see the bigger picture here. A community supporting a proper series for the money that you can get a piece of candy for. A series that will be something for everyone to be able to view, people can point towards, and frankly does not consist out of outdated and incorrect statements made by different type of players. A proper series, based on how the game works from a code level, up to gameplay exercises and theory that has been proven to work from all perspectives possible.

I'm really serious about this. If it can be done, it'll help the community greatly. Remember, I'm not a 14 year old person trying to make money. I'm an established adult with a proper background and I know how to do this and make it appeal to a larger audience better than anyone around currently. I'm also just polling this once. If nobody really cares. Then that's it for me. I'm proposing this, because I literally get people contacting me, asking me to train them. I even had people offer me money to train them. Which seems just silly to me, if it's not a community effort :)

If nobody is interested though. Then I will have to side with what Caelum did when nobody cared to use his service, and let things die. Like this website is currently :(

therfiles likes this

Considering that you're coming off as rather condescending in all of your posts here, I am not sure if I would want to put my money on your word that you "know how to do this and make it appeal to a larger audience better than anyone around currently". If you're going to handle the project as you are handing your forum posts right now, then god help us.

ShakeThatSalt likes this

Ok in all seriousness though, I know I haven't done much to help you here, but I really do hope that you'll get enough support going to warrant the amount of time and effort required to make a good series. I'd love to see it come to fruition and have it attract attention from all corners of the web, so that JKA may flourish just in time for the next movie to hit the cinema. With something popular and concrete to show around, we could more easily ride the SW-fanbase wave and get more players interested in the game.

for the low low price of absolutely free shake will 100/100 anyone until they learn how to saber

Right after he wins his first ESL match.

At Topic: I think something like this is always interesting but if I was a newb I'd probably rather pay for a personal trainer than for some videos. I think a concept like this would have worked like 10 years ago but nowadays... I don't really think so, but I wish you luck.

ShakeThatSalt likes this

Right after he wins his first ESL match.

At Topic: I think something like this is always interesting but if I was a newb I'd probably rather pay for a personal trainer than for some videos. I think a concept like this would have worked like 10 years ago but nowadays... I don't really think so, but I wish you luck.

well shake is #1 base so :S

ive never heard of u but if u want to duel shake come ups and lets c how good u r? :s

edit: lol hugo. rwXj123.jpg

Okay, boys and girls. Thanks for the voting.

Results:

Two people were interested.
Twelve weren't interested.

Totall votes were 14.

That's all I asked for. I suppose I'll just keep my harddrives with production ready assets in the dust.

Again, thanks very much. As I mentioned in the topic post already. I was expecting many of you to go 'rofl, please Hugo'. So don't worry :)
I'm glad I made this post. Because creating a patreon page with content ready, would have been quite the task, to then find out that nobody wants to / can contribute :)

In the upcoming 6 months I'll have to decide as to whether I want to keep traces of my work online. Because people still contact me about that, new and not so new people.

Chances are I will take most of it offline, to not be bothered with it again. So if you would like to get the 2011 content I mentioned earlier. Now is your chance. :)

That's all people, love to you. My intention wasn't to go into a discussion about this. I may have done so at the first comments. That's my bad :(

By the way

Ok in all seriousness though, I know I haven't done much to help you here, but I really do hope that you'll get enough support going to warrant the amount of time and effort required to make a good series. I'd love to see it come to fruition and have it attract attention from all corners of the web, so that JKA may flourish just in time for the next movie to hit the cinema. With something popular and concrete to show around, we could more easily ride the SW-fanbase wave and get more players interested in the game.

It's fine Masta. No hard feeling what so ever. You and I both know how the people in jka are, mostly ego and young-adults. I think people might not even have read the first post properly. I mention that I am aware of all the things mentioned in the comments after. Besides the things you mentioned :) What I was asking - besides the fact whether I can do it or whether if would be effective - is for people to show if they would be interested in supporting a tiny bit of money into such a project. It could have been anyone doing it as far as I am concerned. Apperantly even that is already too much to ask for. So, that was the goal of the poll :)

Obviously it's hard for people to not go on a 'rofl plz, paying up to a euro or 5 a month to support a serious project, 'hell no' - circle-jerk :P