EPVII Stormtrooper

Try adding a push modifier for chunkier borders and you'll have a solid high poly source. Those carved details on the armor's back for example, are screaming for over the top bevels!

Could you elaborate on the push modifier? I'm not following you. Over the top bevels? Explain.

The details were carved when the low poly base was subdivided twice.

Bevels: the fatter the better, of course sometimes it's down to personal choice but you can't argue with normal maps, that's just how it works.

Push modifier example: I'm not sure what your topology looks like but add a push modifier on the shoulder plates, increase slightly until your get nice rounded edges instead of sharp thin ones, same principle as chunky bevels but the beauty of that method is you can adjust in real time without the need to play with edge tightness.

Bevels: the fatter the better, of course sometimes it's down to personal choice but you can't argue with normal maps, that's just how it works.

Push modifier example: I'm not sure what your topology looks like but add a push modifier on the shoulder plates, increase slightly until your get nice rounded edges instead of sharp thin ones, same principle as chunky bevels but the beauty of that method is you can adjust in real time without the need to play with edge tightness.

did you ever hear of the quad chamfer modifier by Marius silaghi ? it's a very nice tool

The border looks much better (and will also bake much better)! I usually zoom out and look at border thickness to get an idea of how good it will look in a game scenario.

Try changing the pitch of the bevel too, just select the flat portion loop and scale it down so it goes from big outside to small inside...if that makes sense, and yes i have used the quad chamfer plugin, a great tool, but i prefer a different approach. Whatever works!.

DT. likes this