The wiki

I think it's great that we're having a wiki but it's a bit sad that there are only a couple of people who regularly write something.

I also have the feeling that 90% of the people who visit the wiki are JKHub members. You don't really find the wiki referenced on other pages and you also don't find very much of it's content on google.

The wiki is a great opportunity to collect data and knowledge of over 10 years of JK-history. It would be great if it would get a bit more love and attention.

I've found in the past that MediaWiki as a wiki software is a bit of a pain to work with in terms of administrating pages, customizing, etc. Is this what you're finding, @@Circa? Perhaps there are alternative wiki software out there which would be more user-friendly. We should definitely make a back up of the wiki at some point though (if backups aren't already made). I've seen some people have made huge contributions to it and I'd hate to see all of that lost. JKG had an extensive wiki in the works while we were developing it, but after an unexpected server problem, we lost over a hundred pages of pages - not just information, but documentation as well.

eezstreet likes this

That's sad for those who actually like to contribute. Why did you add it then in the first place?

I'm not saying I hate that we have it, I love that it's there and I really want people to contribute to it more. It could be really cool. The pages that are already there are really well done. Also, the wiki was launched way before I even became staff. I think @@Fighter, @@SiLink, or @@therfiles had something to do with it.

But yeah, like @@Xycaleth said, I was mostly referring to how it functions. Ever since it broke and went to hell, it was never brought back fully. It used to have the entire JKHub navigation at the top for a seamless transition from wiki to forum.

There may be better software I suppose but wikis in general can be a pain to work with. 

Like I said though, its on our list to improve this year. We'd love for more members to write pages though. There are so many things that have yet to be covered.

afi likes this

I'd be good if there was some backups at least. I know Ping and I backuped a couple of pages but obviously not all 150.

And one of the reasons why there are only 150 pages so far (and most of them are pages about modding) is the fact that JKHub still didn't manage to be a central platform for all JK-players but is in fact only a page mainly for modders. I know I already made a couple of threads about this but I think it's kinda sad that people gather in facebook groups (and that page got almost 200 members) instead of joining us on JKHub, especially now as the ESL forums are kinda broken. I'm sure many of them don't even know JKHub (or even the wiki) exists and if they do they don't see a reason to sign-up.

Well we make backups of the entire site regularly, if that makes a difference.

And yeah, it would be great if the ESL players came here and stayed but I seemed to get the impression that they didn't care to, and didn't see the point, judging from conversations I've had. (can't give names, just randoms on servers that claimed to be ESL players)

I could try posting on the ESL forums if you think that would make a difference. And feel free to try getting them here as well, since you actually have some credit with that community.

I love the Wiki. The problem is just what you are all saying: it just doesn't get the love it needs. People won't contribute if no one reads it. And yes, we've had quite a bit of trouble with the Wiki over the last few months. Trying to make it a seamless part of the website is incredibly difficult. We've made some software changes and layout changes, and keeping those consistent with a software package that is, quite honestly, a pain to manage (and not as easy for non-coders to jump into) is difficult.

I've always pushed for more integration with the wiki. I really wanted the tutorials to be converted to the wiki. That way, the tutorial would be rich with extra information, hyperlinks to more info, and more technical information than anyone could ever want. Many brought up good arguments against this (a wiki is a collection of things, tutorials are a guide how to do things) but I think a key part of keeping the Wiki relevant and helpful is making it spill over into non-conventional areas.

Would I love to see the wiki re-envisioned? Of course. I just don't want to pour time into it without an assurance that this is something that can be an investment, something the community really wants...that it needs.

I actually think the wiki itself is quite usable. I mean, the actual functionality is working. You can create content, watch it, edit it etc. I think the problem is a lack of interest of people to contribute to the wiki. I'm currently trying to clean up the categories and stuff like that but in the end what is really missing is content.

Kessno likes this

My original idea for the wiki was for it to be more of a knowledge base for JKA rather than players posting their own personal stories/accomplishments or tutorials (Which the tutorial section covers)

For example, actual game mechanics on e.g. 25 health packs, which would have its own page describing what it does, how it functions, the code behind it and other info about it. We could list entity names, mathematics behind how the game calculates things etc etc

Whilst the wiki currently has some really nice pages, the last I checked, it had a lot of pages with opinions and personal areas which I don't have much interest in personally.

Kessno likes this
Then get to it. I have yet to see you contribute anything to the wiki.

Did I say I was going to contribute? I was explaining my original suggestion of the wiki which was around 2 years ago now. I'd happily contribute if I had the knowledge for my suggestion to work, but I don't. Just because I suggested it doesn't mean I personally can do it o_O...

And I am simply saying no :P I don't have the time to contribute to the wiki unfortunately, but even if I did my skillset doesn't cover the suggestion I was making. Besides, if we were going to take the wiki in another direction then we'd need everyone onboard and we'd probably have to start from fresh, or at the least rehash a lot of pages to follow a constant theme.

Tis not my place to do that.

Your skillset does cover the suggestions, since the deletion of "opinions" and "personal stories" is very easy and takes very little effort. I also don't see how that would constitute a change in direction, since the wiki is not for posting fanfiction or essays, but rather for information about the game and its community.

eezstreet likes this

Your skillset does cover the suggestions, since the deletion of "opinions" and "personal stories" is very easy and takes very little effort.

Yes, because that would go down well. Link comes back to JKHub and begins deleting pages because he thinks his opinion is more important than anyone elses :P

As I said, it was a suggestion, which was aimed at the staff. It's up to them what direction the wiki goes ultimately, based on suggestions from fellow members.

Well if that is true, then unfortunately it doesn't change the fact I don't have the time to sit down and properly go through the wiki with a comb like I do with JAWA's currently :P as I said, I wasn't offering my services but rather suggestions for those who might have the time.

Let's take this to PM, this is turning into a bit of a private conversation XD

Your first post doesn't sound like you were needing a fine comb to figure out those "personal stories" that you thought were inappropriate, and it takes very little time to just backspace an entire entry with the argument that fanfiction has no place on the wiki. I've done that before.

¯\_(シ)_/¯

What do you guys think about potentially going from IPS Content (Which governs out front page) to having the website on the wiki perhaps? That way, the wiki would be more navigable by having it in your face. Just bringing up an idea to discuss! ;)