Weapons for The Dark Pastime

For now, this is just an uninteresting, short-message thread, but I'll be using it from now on to post my weapons here. Either as screenshots at first or later as sketchfab links, so you can take as much of a good look as you need. :) I've got some good ideas now and I'll get around to draw them on paper soon, it's just I'm heads over toe drowning in work.

I decided today to use exclusively Sketchfab and also Circa was kind enough to enable an embed on our forums... which, in short, means I can post the model showcase ONLY here. I will message you personally first, of course, showing the concepts. It's self-explaining that I want you to confirm the use of the weapon first. About Sketchfab that I mentioned, look it up in the Ideas/Issues forum category, Circa, me and AshuraDX posted examples of what I mean. And yes, I've made this announcement and topic, so we can use this topic with you and other team members for various things, questions for people, showcase, oppinions and so on. :) I'll try to draw some tomorrow or the day after that, really depends as I'm busy as hell during the week.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@@NumberWan

not good at drawing, so I made a simple lowpoly model of the hilt I've drawn a concept of. Just imagine lots of things that are realistic to the saber - in my head, the brown is leather, the white is actually brushed silver metal and the black is something like rubber. Also a holster ring and some additional buttons/lights are missing on the control box... or actually something that would give it meaning at all :P anyway, here's the concept, I call it the Handy:

mercenaryhilt.jpg

Here it is. I imagine this being a simple-put-together hilt, which would mean that some primitive alien species would use it... or a newbie in the Jedi ways. Also, let's start talking about the Evil Genius and how to redraw him - or I could even recreate it if you wish, I work differently now then I did before. Last but not least, I would like to decide which of the characters get which hilt so that I know on which ones I need to focus on.

Or say that you don't like them and I'll do other ones :P just don't think that you have to like it because I already made a model - to be honest, this was 5 minutes of work, so... no problem there. :P look at the Darkness or Vigilante hilt, for example; those were around 2 days of work and they look like all my finished products will from now on. The model up there on the picture is a simple extrude bevel work and then material colors, that's all. :)

Bek likes this

@Rooxon

I actually like what I see. It's just that the latest model is quite detailed. Won't that affect performance, if other things in the gameplay are detailed as well?

What I mean, is that what if the Player is using a well-detailed hilt with all the graphics up, walking through a more-than-medium map with peculiar architecture (colomns, roofs, many windows, glass and doors), streets with trees and fountains, and besides that there are several dozens of NPCs, also made from new models, with attached skins and scripts, besides sounds, fxFiles and other stuff?

Texturing models is not that hard. Making them work the way they should - is 70% of victory over Jedi Academy.

Bek likes this

That's true though I've been doing tests regarding that. I've had 40 Tavion npcs, with dual wielding kylo ren's. I don't know how this would be if you add some scripts like you say, but I didn't get any lag AT ALL. I do have a beast instead of a computer, true, but still, not even before have people reported any lag issues with my weapons. So I bet that we worry too much and that almost noone still has low-end computers. Any gamer has at least got a mid-end one themselves by now I think.

That's true though I've been doing tests regarding that. I've had 40 Tavion npcs, with dual wielding kylo ren's. I don't know how this would be if you add some scripts like you say, but I didn't get any lag AT ALL. I do have a beast instead of a computer, true, but still, not even before have people reported any lag issues with my weapons. So I bet that we worry too much and that almost noone still has low-end computers. Any gamer has at least got a mid-end one themselves by now I think.

It's not so much the computer not being able to handle the model in the game, it's more of the engine having it's limits. The engine only allows so many dual wielding tavions with Kylo Ren sabers, even if they were super low poly....

..And don't even think about letting them attack them you, if they all ignited their sabers the game would lag to no end... 

uh actually, I was not only spawning them, fighting them. Like around 10 at a time were launching force powers at me and a few trying to stab me, fight actually I had to jump around all the time like crazy. Now read this: No lag.

@@Rooxon you're computer isn't a beast...

It's the chosen one!

Okay, that's overdoing it. :D It is exceptionally good though, it really is. I'm playing all Assassin's Creed games, up to AC3 now, no lag, with every setting on max/ultra!

@@NumberWan I also noticed you need a force pike. You're lucky, I've already done it since it was requested here. Here it is:

NumberWan and Bek like this