Knight of the Force Total Conversion

This isn't a release or anything, but there isn't really a proper board for this. So I just came across this JKA mod ("expansion pack") called Knights of the Force, you can check it out here: http://kotf.com/

Apparently it's kind of a big project, with two parts in multiple languages. There's a bunch of videos and mods for it that people made, the site seems to have a lot of content. Though the site is awful and feels like it's ten years old, the last news post is from April 2013 in which the guy says he's cancelling part III because he's become too addicted to the project and that he's deleted all the files permanently.

I'm shocked that I've never come across this, was the rest of the community aware that this thing existed? I'm sure some of you knew, because the credits are huge.

Yes. And it's hated by the modding community because the author of it gave no credit to the authors of all the content.

Really? It's weird because as I said, the credits list is huge.

I did get the feeling that this was some elaborate virus or hoax, but it is definitely a sort of mod. I just tried the thing and it couldn't have been any more disappointing. For some reason, it kept undoing some of my changes to the controls, it was really really annoying. After running the SP executable directly and trying to get the mod to work by navigating some awful glitchy menus for a while I finally read online that you're supposed to run the executable for the little menu and that let's you play the missions properly. Most of them weren't even available, they looked achingly short and all the characters vomited ripped audio from the films. In case I haven't gotten my point across, the whole thing is rubbish. I've removed it and deleted the torrents and I hope I don't ever look at it again.

I'm still in shock, though, this mod really had be fooled for a while there. I thought I'd discovered some cool campaign that I'd somehow missed and everyone knew about it. From the way the guy writes I'm convinced that this took a lot of work to do and that plus the large amount of content on the website really made me believe that this was a grand project. I was expecting it to be glitchy and poor quality, but I wasn't expecting it to be unplayable, much less lacking in content. There may be something buried in that mess that's worth trying out, if my controls didn't keeping getting screwed up. Man, the way it's presented really got to me, what a disappointment. It's sad to see something that comes across as a labour of love, with a fair number of long-time fans, whose author decided to quit because it was consuming too much time from him and then you go to try it an wham! Stone in the face! And that's what I'm having trouble coping with. Unless those comments from fans are fake and the author is a big fat liar, how the hell did so much effort amount to this garbage? There's a video of the man showing the project off at a convention for god's sake!

Sorry for writing so much but as I said, this touched me. It's funny, I know. Anyway, I'd like to hear some more of the story/your opinions on this mod.

I always wondered where are the mods files stored at.By the way there was a video of the author which is apparently filmed in Turkey with the song the FInal Count Down blaring away as background music as a sort of promotional video for when the mod was going to be released.By the way I'm not trying to sound offensive to anyone of different nationalities but its like those bootleg Russian Hallf-Life mods stylized as an official games when in reality their just game mods made by its creators.

It makes 0 difference if the latest version has viruses or not.

He attempted to sell other peoples mods for profit aka he put out there that the content was an expansion for JK when in reality it never was, he even got people to give him money to make a new computer.  He dragged the mod/content on as long as possible to make gullible people pay him for something they could of manually downloaded for the past 7+ years.

I wouldn't be surprised if the twit at one point tried using the massassi temple map and put it in his crap not mod(it really isn't a mod).  Even if he put my name in the credits, I would still give him the finger simply because I wouldn't want my name anywhere near the con man or his half arsed patch work.

Testing ot not, it doesn't absolve the history this garbage and the creator did to literally prepackge other peoples creations(regardless of the quality of the content).  A credit list is pointless because he never asked to use the content to begin with when he was generating money off it as it was.  Credit list for a single file is one thing.  A full scale patch work job and making money off it, is another.

http://forums.filefront.com/jedi-academy-general-discussion/297249-kotf-now-100-more-mudkip.html

O.O man i can't believe that some people paid him for making the mod, that's too sick, its like if szico said, hey i won't finish my midgar map until i get some money for it! Even the Dark Forces team has done a great work yet and they haven't been paid or asked for it.. nah...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last I heard, they were using HapSlash's Anakin.

Don't expect KotF to ever be finished, though. It's a hoax, and a scam. I pity whoever donated money to that guy, because he's nothing more than a con artist, claiming to do the impossible so that he can fleece money out of people.

Everything that was in that... "mod"... is already widely available anyway.

You know what's really bad.
If anyone comments on his forum or Modd site.

He only keeps comments that say stuff like.
Hay you're the best.
Or someinthg like Woot best mod ever.
If anyone makes a comment like.

Didn't you say that it was supose to come out a year ago.
He will delete your comment.
Or if someone points out that he should not be asking for money.
He will quickly delete the post and replace it with a diffrent one
that says something like. Hay Tim rocks or some other blind statement.

"SICK" is the right word to describe that.
The thing is I thought several of the model authors said he could not use their models if he was asking for money?

It's amazing how many computers he has gone through...

He said that 3 years ago too...

The "demo" was a total of half an hour's work, tops, none of which was his, and was apparently the most he could offer after four years of working on a mod (none of which was his own work, by the way) that claimed to do things which weren't even possible.

The few things that were his work were dead basic things which any moron can do in ten minutes, such as taking someone else's model and adding it to the species menu.

By the way, I removed the link over spyware concerns from those downloads. Ever since that demo installer tried to perform an application hijack some core Windows components, I've lost all trust in it. So, call it a public safety issue if you must.

Besides, you can live without KotF, for one simple reason - every single thing in that mod is already available on the net, most of it from right here on JKFiles.

z3filus likes this

KotF was fun when I was involved with it, for what little time I was. It had plenty of potential and epic multiplayer Force Mod additions that were never brought to fruition. The only reason people are butthurt about this mod is because no credit was really given to anyone, but at the same time...

The creator was an inventive human being, but he worked alone as well. (I think.) If I were him, I'd probably be too lazy to give credit to anyone myself. :P

Lack of credit won't hinder your ability to enjoy the mod, so just enjoy the mod it for what it is and quit yer whining. Not sure I speak for anyone else, but I might be happy to see KotF return better than before. ;)

Jaws123DRevenge likes this

Lack of credit won't hinder your ability to enjoy the mod, so just enjoy the mod it for what it is and quit yer whining. Not sure I speak for anyone else, but I might be happy to see KotF return better than before. ;)

Attitudes like that will eventually land you in jail for copyright violations if they continue.  Or at least, in this case, hated by the people who's work you've stolen and claimed as your own.

BruceJohnJenner likes this

JKG Developer

Oh, so he actually tried to sell KotF? That explains the DVD-case image on the website. It explains the entire project, in fact! It was a fraud all along, the comments were fake and his claims were exaggerated. Man, that's a relief. It was a pretty elaborate hoax, though!

KotF was fun when I was involved with it, for what little time I was. It had plenty of potential and epic multiplayer Force Mod additions that were never brought to fruition. The only reason people are butthurt about this mod is because no credit was really given to anyone, but at the same time...

The creator was an inventive human being, but he worked alone as well. (I think.) If I were him, I'd probably be too lazy to give credit to anyone myself. :P

Not giving proper credit can be really serious, dude. Besides, what is there to enjoy? There's next to no gameplay in there, it's an awful mess! Why do you describe him as inventive?

The missions he actually made were pretty fun (inb4 but it's badly coded), the menus were clean and it was fun to fool around with spawning NPC's, changing characters, etc. and there were some user made missions too, which were fun to play through. The multiplayer was a bit messy but very fun. 

Look, maybe he did steal stuff and maybe he tried to sell a freaking mod, but KotF was fun. Shame he was too lazy to finish it.

Jaws123DRevenge likes this

Just because my enjoyment of the mod isn't hindered by this aspect of it doesn't mean I'd partake in similar activity. ;)

:huh:

Kualan likes this

I believe KOTF was one of the first mods for JKA I downloaded when I realized how large the modding community for the JK games is. I've downloaded the mod several times over the years, and I enjoyed the mod for the dozens of characters I could use in the SP campaign, and the few SP missions that were included with KOTF 2.0 Part 1. I never cared about the rest, but I remember anticipating the release of Part 2, which would contain all of the unreleased SP missions. Alas, it wasn't meant to be. I actually remember Tim, the main director of the mod if I'm recalling correctly, changing the release date for part 2 multiple times, eventually causing me to not care for the release all together.

A few months ago, I tried to install KOTF again for the redesigned SP and to replace some of the old models/skins with new and improved ones. I managed to complete my replacements for all of the Sith Lord characters before I decided that the idea wasn't worth it and I uninstalled it. Trying to mod KOTF was a pain in my ass, and the mod's contents were all over the place and unorganized.

The mod as a whole was a great concept at the time, and still could be if someone decided to create something similar, but the mod's cancellation may be for the best.

Lancelot likes this

It's easy to praise the mod today, as if it matters, but KotF is hated for all those good reasons posted on page 1... 

unless it will be uploaded here, or re-created entirely by any kind of team, I vote we close this topic before it gets nasty

t_locked.png 

t_read_dot.png