Misc_Model_Static Problem

Hello again! I'm having a problem with a misc_model_static in the second area of my map. In the first area, it behaves normally, it's bright, visible:

t2T4q2d.jpg

However, when I placed the same model (following the same process that worked for the one above) in the next area, the model became dark. I deleted it, then duplicated the working one and moved it to where I wanted it. It was still dark. Does anyone happen to know what I may have overlooked, or how I might fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

AHDK05D.jpg

misc_model_static is dynamically lit. To my understanding, during compilation, a light grid is created: the brightness at positions of fixed distance is determined and stored, which is then used for "dynamic" lighting. Presumably the closest position is dark.

Try creating a lightJunior, which is used in addition to the light grid for dynamic lighting.

Langerd likes this

misc_model_static is dynamically lit. To my understanding, during compilation, a light grid is created: the brightness at positions of fixed distance is determined and stored, which is then used for "dynamic" lighting. Presumably the closest position is dark.

Try creating a lightJunior, which is used in addition to the light grid for dynamic lighting.

Yep this should work. I used it on the Protocol droid body and head because without it it was full dark. Even with normal lightning enity.

Lightjunior

Thank you for the suggestions thus far! I've given the lightjunior a test and I've come back to share the results. The lightjunior did brighten up the model (and adjacent models) but not to the same level that the original plant in the first room seems to be (which doesn't have a lightjunior.) To counter this I tried increasing the (key) light value but this didn't seem to show any visible difference.

Room 2 (with lightjunior):

7Lp7H6J.jpg

Room 1 (no lightjunior):

t2T4q2d.jpg

Room 2 (no lightjunior):

e18Fm5z.jpg

I don't think the lightgrid is the problem here, because your own player model is being lit properly and that uses the lightgrid. Screenshots with r_showNormals 2 will help us know if it's the lightgrid causing the problem though. (EDIT: Seems this only shows light values in Wolfenstein: ET, not JKA)

Apart from that, I can't see an obvious problem. Maybe try lifting the model so that its origin isn't submerged into the floor? Are there any custom parameters in worldspawn that are affecting light calculations? Is the model scaled differently to other ones? Is there a clip brush or something surrounding it?

EDIT: Check for any console warnings when loading the map too

@@Didz I've raised the model out of the floor, the model appears the same. At the time of the screenshot, I hadn't added ambient or _minlight to the map's worldspawn. I've tried them both this evening but neither has affected the model. It's the same scale as the same model in the first room. The console doesn't seem to be highlighting anything out of the ordinary.

@@Langerd I started on 300 and went up in 100s to 1000 before giving up.

@@DT85 I haven't used _cs 1 or _rs 1 (I tried _rs 0, sadly this didn't work.)

I've packed the .map into a .zip and put it up on Dropbox if anyone would like to take a look at it for themselves. Hopefully you can tell me what other things I may not have been getting right. (I'm still not certain I've followed Mr. Wonko's advice correctly.) As this is my first attempt at creating something for an SP level, I've been doing the whole process in Single Player Mapping Mode.