Jeff's never ending WIP's

Message added by Circa

The content in this forum thread is not owned, created, or hosted by JKHub. Any copyright is held by relevant entities. Legal enquiries can be sent via our contact form.

On 7/27/2020 at 4:21 PM, Lancelot said:

To be honest, I think the chances that a request gets noticed AND fulfilled are low. But still, so long as the request section is here, it should be used. Just imagine it as some sort of pin board, where people can write down what they would like to see in the game. And once the right people notice a certain request and have the time and skills, they can go for it. Some requests may be unnoticed, but they don't disappear.

Thats the issue, time. People years ago would be happy to do requests they weren't even personally interested in doing, they'd do it just because they enjoyed modeling and wanted to contribute to the community.

As we all get older I think many of them just find rarely  time to make a fully detailed model, which can be worked on for months at a time.

3 hours ago, Lord Of Hate said:

Thats the issue, time. People years ago would be happy to do requests they weren't even personally interested in doing, they'd do it just because they enjoyed modeling and wanted to contribute to the community.

As we all get older I think many of them just find rarely  time to make a fully detailed model, which can be worked on for months at a time.

That's fair. Thanks for the honest explanation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 4:06 AM, BlindDaThief said:

That's fair. Thanks for the honest explanation.

No problem. For real though, you came sadly very late to the scene, as I said people really did do requests on characters they weren't even particularly interested in just because they ENJOYED filling requests and improving their modeling skills, depending on the person of course. On the other hand, to give you some perspective on the modding scene TODAY? I've offered money recently to a few people who were happy to accept it in exchange for a commissioned model... but they had to turn it down due to time constraints despite some of them being heavily interested and being paid for it to boot (not cheap either, I was prepared to offer like some $150+ for a model and some weapons).

Besides that there are VERY few modelers left at ALL, and pretty much none of them take requests or are heavily against ports, which is a fair stance to have from a moral and legal standpoint due to it taking credit away from the actual models made from scratch: "Hey, that's a great looking Luke model you made, especially for your first model, unfortunately I just ported Luke from the new EA Battlefront so expect people to download that one instead. :)"

Jeff has single-handedly made porting more... well-liked and acceptable (this is my perception of it at least, he's arguably the most famous non-mod on JKHub today) on JKHub, but there are still people heavily against it. Did you know you can get sued for using ported content in a mod? This site could get potentially shut down if it's discovered for hosting "ported content", thankfully companies won't ever reasonably go for a cease and desist unless it's a straight up remake by fans like the KOTOR remake or that 3D Chrono Trigger remake that got shut down.

Mods are usually safe territory but still very risky.

Sorry for my rant, I just feel this needed an explanation, since newer people dunno why ports are hated so much (I used to be one of those people), hope this helps anyone reading.

Anyway, all your recent stuff is looking great, @Jeff, can't wait to see the next batch!

15 hours ago, Lord Of Hate said:

No problem. For real though, you came sadly very late to the scene, as I said people really did do requests on characters they weren't even particularly interested in just because they ENJOYED filling requests and improving their modeling skills, depending on the person of course. I've offered money to a few people who were happy to accept it in exchange for a commissioned model... but they had to turn it down due to time constraints despite some of them being heavily interested and being paid for it to boot (not cheap either, I was prepared to offer like some $150+ for a model and some weapons).

Besides that there are VERY few modelers left at ALL, and pretty much none of them take requests or are heavily against ports, which is a fair stance to have from a moral and legal standpoint due to it taking credit away from the actual models made from scratch: "Hey, that's a great looking Luke model you made, especially for your first model, unfortunately I just ported Luke from the new EA Battlefront so expect people to download that one instead. :)"

Jeff has single-handedly made porting more... well-liked and acceptable (this is my perception of it at least, he's arguably the most famous non-mod on JKHub today) on JKHub, but there are still people heavily against it. Did you know you can get sued for using ported content in a mod? This site could get potentially shut down if it's discovered for hosting "ported content", thankfully companies won't ever reasonably go for a cease and desist unless it's a straight up remake by fans like the KOTOR remake or that 3D Chrono Trigger remake that got shut down.

Sorry for my rant, I just feel this needed an explanation, since newer people dunno why ports are hated so much (I used to be one of those people), hope this helps anyone reading.

Anyway, all your recent stuff is looking great, @Jeff, can't wait to see the next batch!

Thanks man. You've always had my respect as your honest and can take shit from people (most can't do that, especially today). I may have to post something soon.

17 hours ago, Lord Of Hate said:

No problem. For real though, you came sadly very late to the scene, as I said people really did do requests on characters they weren't even particularly interested in just because they ENJOYED filling requests and improving their modeling skills, depending on the person of course. I've offered money to a few people who were happy to accept it in exchange for a commissioned model... but they had to turn it down due to time constraints despite some of them being heavily interested and being paid for it to boot (not cheap either, I was prepared to offer like some $150+ for a model and some weapons).

Well said. I've gotten so tired? (that's not quite the word but...) Of looking for models and maps that don't exist or have been deleted. I used to be a member of that one jk map website in like 2008,  (I forgot what it's called- the one Mr. Wonko partially duplicated) and I was making maps back then. But I'm back now and plan to get back into it, hard. I'm excited but it's like a full time job. You are right. But I greatly enjoy it. Thanks Jeff for all the hard work and for re-inspiring me!

FYI still not good at modeling and I'm just now rediscovering gtkradiant. Wish me luck!

Jeff, ZanderNao and TheWhitePhoenix like this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, the_raven said:

Hello, world! ? I'm Bach! ?

I wanted to download the Kotor pack, but couldn't find it among all those other packs on Jeff's dropbox whereas the dedicated link to the file doesn't work. Can anyone help?

I had to take it down to free up space as my dropbox is close to full, also a lot of that wasn't my work, some was but most of it can be found on the internet. If you want something specific that I did then let me know and I'll post it as a standalone. That pack was only posted to share with a few people in DM's but I forgot that my dropbox is public and someone found it and then it took off.

8 hours ago, Tompa9 said:

Wow, where have u taken that bow from, my friend? ?

There's a nightbrother pack that contained some weapons so it's just a skin of the bow.

11 hours ago, the_raven said:

Hello, world! ? I'm Bach! ?

I wanted to download the Kotor pack, but couldn't find it among all those other packs on Jeff's dropbox whereas the dedicated link to the file doesn't work. Can anyone help?

I'm still down to help out with that, I still have the sounds I set up from kotor into jkhub (I know you commented on my forum on)

Glad to see you back

TheWhitePhoenix and the_raven like this
5 hours ago, PsychoticSymbiote said:

Is there a chance you could make an Imperial Sovereign Protector skin :3 

(Unless you made one that i haven't found yet kek)

I haven't made one but I'm not sure what this is. A google search showed a lot of different versions.