Jeff's never ending WIP's

Message added by Circa

The content in this forum thread is not owned, created, or hosted by JKHub. Any copyright is held by relevant entities. Legal enquiries can be sent via our contact form.

• 1 month later...

Could you do Lord Scourge?:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byx_RbLvGhyrOUhJV28tLTF6c3M/view

Awesome Umbaran model btw!

Was wondering if those Darth Desolous and Phobos models are gonna be ported? (when you have the time, of course, if you decide to do them)

Yes! We NEED a scourge model in Academy xD

So, any news regarding the Lord Scourge model? :P

38619616844_5d8af3282c_b.jpg

Enjoy and Merry Christmas to all  https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq361p7bd77ddc8/Lord%20Scourge.pk3?dl=0

Balt, Xanemus, Kuhe and 4 others like this

@@Lord Of Hate

regarding quantity?

probably.

Quality?

could be far better, just a few things on scourge:

1. Serious gaps in the model during animation, jsut check the models neck in modview while playing throguh a few animation sequences.
  2. no caps for dismembered body parts.
  3. The fingers on the hands are not weighted to the proper bones and stay in a fixed position.
  4. stiff cape
  5. This one is pure nitpicking: while the textures look okay in jka, they could be improved rather easily, if you have the normal maps and the required knowhow.

and these are what I found within less than 5 minutes.

lpriefer01 and Wasa like this

@@Lord Of Hate

regarding quantity?

probably.

Quality?

1. Serious gaps in the model during animation, jsut check the models neck in modview while playing throguh a few animation sequences.
  3. The fingers on the hands are not weighted to the proper bones and stay in a fixed position.
  4. stiff cape
  5. This one is pure nitpicking: while the textures look okay in jka, they could be improved rather easily, if you have the normal maps and the required knowhow.

200.gif

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

@@Lord Of Hate

regarding quantity?

probably.

Quality?

4. stiff cape

You are absolutely correct, hell every model in this thread is made for quantity not quality. 

Myself and some old friends get together and play scenarios every chance we get, so the ports work for us and keep it fresh.

I'm personally not that picky and as long as it looks like the boss or character we want in the scenario then good enough.

I have little free time so if I did decide to make a model of high quality it would take about a year or so and I'd lose interest and never finish it. If you have problems with what I'm doing then don't use them. I'm only putting these out here because some people want them. Why this bothers people is beyond me.

You are absolutely correct, hell every model in this thread is made for quantity not quality. 

Myself and some old friends get together and play scenarios every chance we get, so the ports work for us and keep it fresh.

I'm personally not that picky and as long as it looks like the boss or character we want in the scenario then good enough.

I have little free time so if I did decide to make a model of high quality it would take about a year or so and I'd lose interest and never finish it. If you have problems with what I'm doing then don't use them. I'm only putting these out here because some people want them. Why this bothers people is beyond me.

SNLmpJv.gif

TheWhitePhoenix, MadforMax and Jeff like this

@@Jeff doing a decent manual rigging job on a model for jka should not take longer than 3-6 hours depending on the model.

from the look of this scourge model I'd assume yo uare using some sort of autoweight function? 5-10 minutes effort for a model? That can be a great basis for manual refinement. Which may allow you to hit the 2 hour mark for a fully rigged model.

Since you are simply taking completed models and port them over yo uare allready cutting out most of the effort that goes to the creation of a useable playermodel. This also happens to make the weighting process the only step you could actually learn to be good at as long as you restrict yourself to porting.

I am not bothered by the quality of ported models at all sicne I do not use them. I'm bothered by the waste of potential.

yeyo JK likes this

@@Jeff doing a decent manual rigging job on a model for jka should not take longer than 3-6 hours depending on the model.

from the look of this scourge model I'd assume yo uare using some sort of autoweight function? 5-10 minutes effort for a model? That can be a great basis for manual refinement. Which may allow you to hit the 2 hour mark for a fully rigged model.

Since you are simply taking completed models and port them over yo uare allready cutting out most of the effort that goes to the creation of a useable playermodel. This also happens to make the weighting process the only step you could actually learn to be good at as long as you restrict yourself to porting.

I am not bothered by the quality of ported models at all sicne I do not use them. I'm bothered by the waste of potential.

No I've been weighing stuff manually. I have struggled with weighing certain parts (torso, capes, and hips) since I started, and I'm spending about 1-2 hours per model weighing it.

TheWhitePhoenix and yeyo JK like this

@@Jeff I usually weight a merged copy of the mesh, without any outer accesoires (shoulder pads, capes, etc - you name it) so basically as much of a bare body as I can get. This version also has no splits for dismemberment.

on that mesh I first make rough vertex selections and assign them to the appropiate bones with a 100% weight.

In the second phase I refine/blend the borders between weight regions, during this step I constantly animate random movements across all limbs to see how the model deforms under various circumstances.

Next up I transfer weights from the merged body to the individual pieces, including the accessoires. What follows is antoher phase of small tweaks and deformation checks.

This may seem complicated but worknig with a merged mesh helps you to keep body parts from gliding apart due to mismatched weights on border vertices (as there are no a splits), if you then transfer this data over to the split model all vertices around the splits share the same weights with their appropiate counterparts.

TheWhitePhoenix and Jeff like this