FEATURE: OpenGL 3 Renderer

Shadow cascading works fine. I only uploaded the final code. You need to change the cvars accordingly. The new standard values work fine. There is no mess. ;)

@Arch I meant, you can get the latest version right now via the DF2 test build. DT uploaded it somewhere if I recall correctly.

Archangel35757 and DT85 like this

Would it also be possible to add the MD3->GLM feature that MD3View has? I always used to find it useful for weapons to just load the MD3 world/view model then convert to GLM.

Yes, this should be possible because I have the MD3View source code (it's floating out there in internet-- not sure if download links are still valid these days... but I have the source code archived).

minilogoguy18 likes this

But Marmoset won't run JKA animations :P

toolbag 3 supports animations via geocaching, so while it won't natively run the animations, if you export the mesh + whatever test animation as fbx or alembic, you can view them in toolbag.

that said, viewing animations is to see how a mesh deforms, not how a texture looks. if you want a solid PBR renderer to look at things before exporting to engine, that's what it's for. it's specifically designed to be middleware for pre-vis and lookdev while working in the iteration stages.

oh and because it bakes textures (in realtime!!!!!!!!!!!) it's fucking awesome.

anyway, all i'm saying is: updating a renderer is no trivial thing. and since there is already a previs tool that exists, it's a low priority (in my personal opinion as a member of the public).

Hm, the list for gl2 in my head is quite long. Never thought of mwhats after finishing it, cause it will take alot of time. Pushing gl2 into modview sounds most reasonable. :)

SomaZ,

Can you refresh my memory on what all the new features are for the DF2 Rend2 Renderer? Including improvements/fixes you have made over the OpenJK Rend2 baseline (besides the obvious port to SP)? Have your improvements been pushed back to @@Xycaleth's version?

Also, what is your short-term roadmap and long-term feature goals? Thanks! Keep up the great work! :winkthumb:

toolbag 3 supports animations via geocaching, so while it won't natively run the animations, if you export the mesh + whatever test animation as fbx or alembic, you can view them in toolbag.

that said, viewing animations is to see how a mesh deforms, not how a texture looks. if you want a solid PBR renderer to look at things before exporting to engine, that's what it's for. it's specifically designed to be middleware for pre-vis and lookdev while working in the iteration stages.

oh and because it bakes textures (in realtime!!!!!!!!!!!) it's fucking awesome.

anyway, all i'm saying is: updating a renderer is no trivial thing. and since there is already a previs tool that exists, it's a low priority (in my personal opinion as a member of the public).

Neat, is Toolbag 3 out yet?

Edit: I need it.

Gonna buy it with my next paycheck.

My main thing is this, I want to view the models as they would look in game to reduce the need to fire up the game to see how things will look.

Marmoset costs money, updating the tools we have is free, time consuming but free.

I'll probably fondle more with either integrating the render engine into an XSI viewport to make a .fx shader that mimics the games shader.

Archangel35757 likes this
  • 2 weeks later...