FEATURE: OpenGL 3 Renderer

Personally, if I may suggest a spherical refraction effect, I'd love it if it could be like the (removed) Hopwire grenade from Half-Life 2: Episode 1:

Perhaps not as powerful - it's a Force Push after all, not a microscopical singularity ;)

Personally, if I may suggest a spherical refraction effect, I'd love it if it could be like the (removed) Hopwire grenade from Half-Life 2: Episode 1:

Perhaps not as powerful - it's a Force Push after all, not a microscopical singularity ;)

Actually a nice idea, but the code doesn't differentiate between push and pull. Could look strange if you use pull and the refraction looks like push. One could change that in the game code though. Simply change the models of push and pull from the half-sphere to something cone like.

Actually a nice idea, but the code doesn't differentiate between push and pull. Could look strange if you use pull and the refraction looks like push. One could change that in the game code though. Simply change the models of push and pull from the half-sphere to something cone like.

Feel free to do this.

Also when using force speed, the player model looks black and dis-colored when not running.

SomaZ likes this

I just think most Force FX already give visual feedback in the sense that objects or enemies play an "affected" animation (pushed/pull stumble or fall, etc.) and the player already does some hand/arm motion-- this is sufficient by itself in my opinion; save the computer resources for somthing else. You don't see or hear these cheesy FX in the movies.

So basically, we need to get our rend2 on-par with vanilla. So next we will need to work out weather, and finish sprites. @@Xycaleth said he won't be able to debug anytime soon, so it's upto us.

@@SomaZ

I hear Xreal has alot of neat stuff, including refraction & reflection if you wanted to have a look at it. Couldn't find xreal itself on github, but a project called Unvanquished uses a combination of xreal and ioq3:

https://github.com/Unvanquished/Unvanquished/tree/master/daemon/src/engine/renderer

Archangel35757 likes this

@@SomaZ

I noticed on your repo you're attempting weather. Any progress? Also, Xycaleth started weather on a seperate branch of his repo if you wanted to take a look. Not sure how far he got.

Yea, I tested if I could simply do a 1 on 1 port with the vanilla weather system. I'm positive that this can be worked out. Though a complete new weather system would be nice.

But right now, I'm trying to make refraction work like a charm. Learned a lot about the renderer and I have a plan to completely rework the refraction code to fit the overall coding "style". Right now it's unnecessarily redundant and hacky. I also need to find a fix for the force speed effect. My guess is, that a renderfx flag (something with skipping the shadow calculation on the mesh) is unnoticed by the renderer. Just need to find the right place to add the exception. I also noticed that my shader is not doing what it's actually supposed to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Working on merging ioq3's rend2 on a separate branch. Doing this because xycaleth's rend2 fork is basically dead and we need updates. Ioq3 rend2 is quite active. I'm manually merging each file, so not to screw much of anything up, but probably will lol. If it fails, then we still have the rend2sp branch.

I forgot to mention that this is what's currently possible in rend2sp branch (and of course rend2 MP). Without dynamic lighting, the normal maps are EXTREMELY hard to see. Compiling the map with -deluxe doesn't do a thing.

No wonder they can't be really seen. It's the same for every engine. Like UE4. The Lightmap doesn't store light positions. It only lighten and darken areas and only applies to stationary light sources. UE4 simply uses the normalmaps for genereating the lightmap. You can do the same thing in GTK Radiant with the material shaders.

q3map_normalimage	textures/.../aaa_normalmap
q3map_lightmapsamplesize	1

There is a tutorial in JKHubs tutorial section.

So, on my front: I added the pbr cvar and some other stuff on my repository. Just needs some testing and validating the correctness of the code, but it works. Next thing I want to update is the complete cubemapping code. ioQ3 allows to render cubemaps to files and read them back without rerendering them.

minilogoguy18 likes this