Dark textures show purple

So I'm pretty sure I've asked this already before but can't find anything on it.

When I make dark textures, the game makes them look awful, and sometimes purple. Occasionally I'll fiddle around with it to get to look decent, but is it possible to have an "almost-black" texture without it doing that?

I took a screenshot but it didn't show it without me brightening it up.

NOqqEIQ.png

Any ideas? @@DT85 @@AshuraDX perhaps?

I think there's two reasons this can happen:

1. Could be that texture compression is messing up the colours. Can't remember the cvar for this exactly so you'll need to hunt around.
  2. Setting r_gamma too high can cause some colours to "distort".

I'm going to lean towards texture compression though. You'll notice the same kind of artifacts in dark videos where it looks all blocky and the wrong colours.

krkarr and DT. like this

Yeah, I get this sort of thing as well. Most recently, with Darth Maul. You just need to find the "sweet spot" where it looks good when adjusting the brightness/constrast. However at second glance, it looks like you have the gamma cranked up (look at the white text, it looks too bright).

Yeah, I get this sort of thing as well. Most recently, with Darth Maul. You just need to find the "sweet spot" where it looks good when adjusting the brightness/constrast. However at second glance, it looks like you have the gamma cranked up (look at the white text, it looks too bright).

Because I brightened the screenshot because it was too dark, even though in-game it looked brighter.

So would changing from JPG to PNG help at all? I guess I should have tried that sooner.

It looks like a fractal that comes with dark areas in general.
Like how bad video formats tend to have coloured fractals all over the place.

Ever played DayZ or Arma 2 at night? You get the same effects, going from purple to green, blueish etc :P
It doesn't really bother me though DT, I think if you lit that room with a few small lights the effect wouldn't be noticed that much.

Ensure these settings are set:

• r_gamma 1
  • r_textureMode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
  • r_picmip 0
  • r_texturebits 32

You could also try fiddling with r_ext_compress_textures on and off.

Can you attach a pk3 we can use to test the model, or just the actual texture file?

Circa likes this

I found a compromise with the person I was making it for, and it turned out alright, though I had to sacrifice some detail for completely black areas of the texture.

Ensure these settings are set:

• r_gamma 1
  • r_textureMode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR
  • r_picmip 0
  • r_texturebits 32

You could also try fiddling with r_ext_compress_textures on and off.

Can you attach a pk3 we can use to test the model, or just the actual texture file?

All those were set as above. Though turning r_ext_compress_textures off helped other areas of this new version that had green on them. Perhaps that would have fixed the purple. Testing it on other models with a similar problem fixed that.

So the game compresses textures to save load times and FPS, I'm assuming? I might just keep that off from now on.

Here's the skin in question by the way:

gIpDlXK.png