JKHub Master Server

I completely understand if you don't want to use OpenJK, but would you mind telling us why so we can improve it?  I mean...from a technical standpoint its kind of like insisting on using Windows 98 when you could be using Win 8.

Well, I'm not really a big fan of Win8.. I'm using regular JAMP with JA++, so it's a bit like using Win7 instead of Win8.  :P Anyway I find that I'd use OpenJK once a stable built is released and it's made compatible with modder-maps. I'm not really an experienced map editor so I have no idea how to fix texture errors on OpenJK caused by use of '###'. I dislike that that compatibility was removed, doesn't really support much user-friendliness.. considering many servers opt to use custom maps instead of base ones.

Update on the master server situation. IT @ Raven is aware of the outages and are working on the situation. No further information specified.

Well it's not just JKA-JO down, but Elite Force, SOF and SOF3 master servers being down as well. Out of interest, assuming they go down forever, the old method of /connect as well as use of JKhub master servers will still work, correct? I figure this won't be an issue for game hosting companies, as it'd just be a case of directing the servers to a new master servers list, and they don't really care if they're seen or not, so as long as people can connect to them and are usable.

One reason not to use openjk are the changes that it makes to the saber collision/blocking. The only reason not to use eezstreet's all seeying eye is the fact that you can't search for base servers only (cmon like 20 mods but no filter for base servers?) which is not that much of a problem though.

Well, I'm not really a big fan of Win8.. I'm using regular JAMP with JA++, so it's a bit like using Win7 instead of Win8.  :P Anyway I find that I'd use OpenJK once a stable built is released and it's made compatible with modder-maps. I'm not really an experienced map editor so I have no idea how to fix texture errors on OpenJK caused by use of '###'. I dislike that that compatibility was removed, doesn't really support much user-friendliness.. considering many servers opt to use custom maps instead of base ones.

I don't remember seeing that particular problem on the github issue list, have you reported it yet (though I haven't looked through all of the issues recently so I might be wrong)?  OpenJK is suppose to be backward compatible - so it sounds like a bug or possibly error with your setup.  Support user-friendliness...?  What do you mean, like when it comes to installing openjk?

JKG Developer

I'm guessing you mean issue #271, but this issue should no longer happen as @@ensiform reverted the commits that added the changed shader parser I think?

Well it's not just JKA-JO down, but Elite Force, SOF and SOF3 master servers being down as well. Out of interest, assuming they go down forever, the old method of /connect as well as use of JKhub master servers will still work, correct? I figure this won't be an issue for game hosting companies, as it'd just be a case of directing the servers to a new master servers list, and they don't really care if they're seen or not, so as long as people can connect to them and are usable.

Yeah players will always be able to do /connect themselves. You can also add the servers to your Favourites list if you don't want to save the IP addresses down yourself. Game servers already support up to 5 different master servers they can configure, so if one goes down, players can still check other ones.

I'm guessing you mean issue #271, but this issue should no longer happen as @@ensiform reverted the commits that added the changed shader parser I think?

Yeah players will always be able to do /connect themselves. You can also add the servers to your Favourites list if you don't want to save the IP addresses down yourself. Game servers already support up to 5 different master servers they can configure, so if one goes down, players can still check other ones.

I reverted the derpy drakkar stuff, but its using the ioquake3 one which still does the syntax checks before stuffing into the mega buffer.  If it fails syntax checks (Which ####### does [ presumably because it lacks a { ], it drops the file and warns)

https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/blob/master/codemp/rd-vanilla/tr_shader.cpp#L3825-L3861  I see no other way to really do the syntax checks.

I reverted the derpy drakkar stuff, but its using the ioquake3 one which still does the syntax checks before stuffing into the mega buffer.  If it fails syntax checks (Which ####### does [ presumably because it lacks a { ], it drops the file and warns)

https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/blob/master/codemp/rd-vanilla/tr_shader.cpp#L3825-L3861  I see no other way to really do the syntax checks.

Can't we just count ##### as a 'legitimate comment' so it doesn't break existing map shaders (which worked previously because of the vanilla bug)?  And then make it warn about 'out of date syntax', but accept it anyway?

Obviously incomplete/not very thorough at all but something like:

if(token[0] == '#' && token[1] == '#')
{
  ri->Printf(PRINT_WARNING, "WARNING: Shader File %s contains out of date syntax, that does not comply with existing shader standards.  ## is not an acceptable form of comment, please use c style comments.", filename);
break;
}
Edited by Darth Futuza

JKG Developer

Can't we just count ##### as a 'legitimate comment' so it doesn't break existing maps?  And then make it warn about 'out of date syntax', but accept it anyway?

Obviously incomplete but something like:

if(token[0] == '#' && token[1] == '#')
{
  ri->Printf(PRINT_WARNING, "WARNING: Shader File %s contains out of date syntax, that does not comply with existing shader standards.  ## is not an acceptable form of comment, please use c style comments.", filename);
break;
}

And then the next person considers ** as a comment.  The shader code does not have a separate COM_Parse code anymore so its no longer possible to give it special treatment over the rest of the code which uses COM_Parse.  I do NOT want to make this a global acceptance across all places which use COM_Parse.  Also, once you make it treat as a regular comment there would be no warnings.

That would no longer be valid, as it would already be past it if it were to skip internally.  Because COM_Parse skips over whitespace and comments.

And then the next person considers ** as a comment.  The shader code does not have a separate COM_Parse code anymore so its no longer possible to give it special treatment over the rest of the code which uses COM_Parse.  Also, once you make it treat as a regular comment there would be no warnings.

Sorry I edited my post on you, but I suppose just dropping the one bad shader is a valid solution since coming up with additional parsing stuff probably isn't worth the effort.  Still it'd be nice to add ## comment support even if it is non-standard.  Ah well.

EDIT: RGR.  No more derailing.  :D

Edited by Darth Futuza

JKG Developer

Err, no it doesn't.

One of the reasons is probably cause openJK's default is sv_fps 40.

But Xycaleth said:

If you explicitly set sv_fps to 20 in your server configs then it should be more or less the same.

If you play a game for 10 years "more or less the same" can still be a huge difference.

Also openJK uses a different arithmetic if I remember correctly. This is at least what I've been told a few months ago.

All I can say is that the blocks are different, even with sv_fps 20.

All I can say is that the blocks are different, even with sv_fps 20.

...I'm with ensi, but is it better?   :shifty:

...hey wait a second.  You got me derailing the thread again jerks.  :P

So das jkhub master server seems to be doing better now.  No more DDOS?

JKG Developer

I've been playing on pure OpenJK for about a year now and haven't noticed any difference than base, and neither has anyone else that have actually tried it (who would notice even more than I). The big uproar about it changing gameplay and mechanics should be laid to rest by now. :P

LavCorps! likes this

Link is broken, I'm guessing your file hasn't been approved yet.

I've notified the moderators and they'll get the file online shortly. I ordered a virus scan on the file before it was to be approved because I hastily assumed it was something other than a .dat file, and subsequently the staff member who scanned the file forgot to actually perform the approval process. Sorry about that.

• 2 weeks later...

What would it take to get steam to add jkhub's master server into the install? 

Maybe if raven gave the permission for it?

Or couldn't ravensoft redirect masterjk3.ravensoft.org to master.jkhub.org so that the traffic runs through their domain but still uses jkhubs master server at the core.