HELP: AC UNITY LAG

AC-HomeBanner_UnityCrest-v1tcm19133305.j

I spit on Ubisoft. -- This is the one game series that should not have bent its knees and take it in the ass (improved graphics for next gen - PS4 & XBOX ONE )

The PC version is poorly optimized and suffers from a wide range of problems, including poor frame rate, crashing, clipping, mouse lag on menus, freezing, poor rendering, and a general lack of graphics options. Black Flag already took a leap of faith towards improved graphics, but this series was never about graphics.

I even bought myself a new graphics card,  ASUS GEFORCE GTX 750 1GB which allowed me to set the highest settings on Black Flag and other games I own.

Now I can enjoy gaming even more. I have no regrets about my purchase, eventhough I know this isnt the newest card on the market -- Bought it for 100€.

Although I'm already looking trough Youtube for any advices on how to fix this FPS Lag in game and in Menu, I still thought I'd better make a topic for this

since there may be others here who are either having the same problem or may have even solved it already.  Please leave a comment and help Assassins.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/12/ubisoft-comments-on-assassins-creed-unity-pc-troubles

This game has very poor optimization, though they ARE patching the game. Update 4 is coming soon, and is the update to fix all performance issues. I find it funny that I have a Geforce GTX 750 2gb and can run the game with 30-40 fps on high :P 

Anyway, this is a issue everyone is having so just wait for patch 4. If all is lost then just buy a 300+ dollar graphics card. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'll share my part of experience with AC:Unity, if nothing else, to bring this topic back on.. well, topic.

I'm a huge fan of the series and I agree with eezstreet and zefilus actually. AC 1 and 2 were great, revelations and brotherhood were allright but basically AC2 nevertheless, even most of the user interface. I still played and loved the story of all it's followers and needless to say, it's the same with Unity, though I miss sailing and some other things previously availible, but hey, it's not my decision how to create the game. I criticize it like it is, not as what I'd want it to be and in light of that, it's a great game, concerning the story and graphics. Possibly it could be longer, but I've done mostly just the main story quests. If I went for 100% save, I'd need 2 months to do everything, probably. Dunno right now, will do once the game is finished patching.

So, let's go to some facts about the game itself. The Skidrow release was nuked, Reloaded is until today the only working/patchable version you can download through torrent sites, I also haven't yet bought the game as I'm waiting for all the patches and DLCs to arrive first.
I used the Reloaded, unpatched version. Got pretty low FPS on my new computer beast with a 980 GTX 4gb graphics card, around 15-20. With patch 1.2 this got a little bit fixed, but still there was lag at times and I was actually very surprised by that, as I'm able to run pretty much any other game at max fps (with a good port, of course) including all previous AC games, Crysis and so on, no need for a long list. 

Now I'm about to install it once again and try out the new 1.4 patch, but this time around, you need to apply the patches in order. You can't apply 1.4 and hope you'll get all it's benefits, maybe the game won't even start at all. So after I've done that, I schould have max fps. We'll see but to be honest, I don't even try setting the graphic settings of games to anything lower than it's max possible settings since I got my new computer, everything except TFU and AC:U worked fine. But these two games bring my computer on it's knees like little....beaches. :P if you know what I mean :P

So the main things I'd like to point out once more are:
1. use the reloaded release, if you wish to play it since it's the most stable one and is getting patch updates.
2. to make the game less buggy, make sure to apply all the patches for it but DON'T FORGET YOU NEED TO APPLY PATCH AFTER PATCH IN THE CORRECT ORDER! So, first patch 1.1, then 1.2, then 1.3 and last but not least, patch 1.4 which finally brings performance fixes.

I've also had some saving trouble with the initial release from Reloaded. It saved just fine up to the part just before you jump from the roof at the start and then the Logo movie appears, at the moment when there's a riot in front of the prison. After that I played up to sequence 4 memory 2 I think and the game crashed, and even though the game seemed to save before, when I fired up the game once again, the game was saved at 2%, I was at the part at prison again just before you jump. Stupid, right? Luckily, not many people had this issue. Well, patched the game with 1.1 and 1.2 from RELOADED and it saved fine, the game was finally playable fully and I play everything on max graphics, even TXAA, vsynch and everything else you can use, with patch 1.2 at more than 20fps. I'll edit this post this evening or tomorrow, to report what experience changes the 1.4 patch brings!

Zefilus, I just told you a bunch of usefull stuff that comes in handy, concerning running the game and to run it smoothly...

That's pretty much all you can do at this point, anyway. Download another version and patch it to the latest patch!

Doesn't help me at all.  I will probably have to wait for Ubisoft to fix this  (for next summer???))

Doesn't help me at all.  I will probably have to wait for Ubisoft to fix this  (for next summer???))

No no, let me help you get it running, because it's possible already now. Tell me what EXACTLY is the problem.

Look, for example, my specs:

Gigabyte 980 GTX 4gb Overclocked

I7 4790K 4.2 GHz Overclocked

RAM DDR3 16GB PC1600 Kingston HyperX

SSD HyperX 3K 120GB 

My old, 11-year old computer got burned down in a thunderstorm, so I had a perfect chance to upgrade from a mid-end comp to a very high-end one. I run AC:U everything on MAX with the 1.4 patch without a single problem. A lot of things got already fixed! Before, unpatched, I also had a bit less then 20fps and a lot of crashing/save problems. But I learned a bunch of tricks you can try, so let me just help you. If it's the fps you're worrying about, just try what I told you. Reloaded, all patches from them, and apply patch after patch in the correct order.

But you said it doesn't help you? Well how come, what's still the issue?

EDIT: allright, I've got an idea. I think your computer is still just too weak to run the game. Look at the minimum requirements:

CPU: Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz/Phenom II X4 940

GPU: GeForce GTX 680/Radeon HD 7970

RAM: 6 GB

Now take a look at the recommended specs:

CPU:Core i7-3770 4-Core 3.4GHz/FX-8350

GPU:GeForce GTX 780/Radeon R9 290X

RAM:8 GB

You're running on 750, which is A LOT weaker than the minimum requirement. I'd expect to run it smoothly with everything on low or medium, looking at the way the graphics are made..

Needless to say, this is the first game in long years to really challenges all these new computer parts out there. It's like when Crysis came out as the first DX10 game and all possible parts to buy at the time were too weak to run it perfectly smoothly. I've upgraded to the best possible parts I could get at this time and still Unity brings a bit of lag for a moment here and there. So in theory, possibly it's not just badly optimized but most people probably don't realize that it's a really next-gen made game and so must the computers running it be.

Edited by Rooxon

EDIT: I think your computer is still just too weak to run the game. Look at the minimum requirements:

CPU: Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz/Phenom II X4 940

GPU: GeForce GTX 680/Radeon HD 7970

RAM: 6 GB

My

CPU:  AMD Phenom II X4 925

GPU:  NVIDIA GeForce GTC 750

RAM: 8 GB

doesn't seem to be enough. This makes my blood boil, but you may be right.  I just spent a 100€ for nothing  -- I just hate Ubisoft for this. I really do.